Zeiss Ikon Flash - Custom Lightsaber Build

Anyone have any tips to get rid of this rust remaining? Its a kind of sandblasted texture on the metal of the entire clamp, and Ive soaked it in vinegar/salt and scrubbed quite a bit of the rust off, so I'm not sure what, if anything I can do to get the rest off.
Steel wool?

For future reference, when trying to take off the rust, consider using Naval Jelly. It easts the rust, but does not damage the surrounding surface. Even safe to use on chrome ...

I decided to keep the rust, thanks for the tips though :)

I'm gonna give the silver slat grips a try and see how it looks, I can always change my mind later. Or hell how about both, t-track in between the silver slats?

Photoshop Comp Of Grips:
customsaber.jpg

Last edited:
The Allen screws on the tracks are a very nice touch. I also love the weathering as it gives it a sense that it's real - something I don't see with the Force FX sabers.

thats very Vader ESB ish (circuit boards under bubbles) Dude. you made me put down my nutella. I stopped mid-bite...thats not overkill at all...its really REALLY good

I like the bubble strip on there. It probably lets you remove some of the foam behind the board as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's another reason I like it, I didnt like having to use something else to bulk up the board so it would stay. Having the 2 layers is enough for them both to stay in there snug. Hoping to start on the grips soon, just waiting for several packages :)

image.jpg

Last edited:
Okay... I got those weird 80s catalog grips in, along with some rubber YodasHouse ones and some awesome custom cut steel plate ones from Scott D. Here are the options I have laid out so far.

I'm leaning more towards using the catalog grips over the rubber ones because 1. The rubber ones leave black marks in your hands if you rub them, not sure why, I cleaned them with goo gone and alcohol and took a ton of black coloring out, but I think they just bleed dye that was used when they were made. 2. I like how the catalog ones are heavier metal which means I can weather the paint. 3. Because they are a bit longer, they can overlap the pommel like a Vader saber and kind of meld it together a bit. 4. They are smoother and more comfortable than the t-track, a little less thick.

The only thing I don't like about using the catalog black grips is that the holes they have for screws or rivets are not necessarily lined up with where I would put the screws in the silver plate grips, and I'm afraid all of those screws and rivets might end up looking too busy, where if I used the t-track I could just glue them on. If I went with the t-track I would probably swap these rubber ones for some of Roy's.

Metal catalog grips:
image.jpgimage.jpg

Standard t-track:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Profile comparison:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Thoughts?

Man, I am ssoo digging this saber. Very groovy. I personally like the regular t tracks myself, but its your saber, if you're leaning more towards the others then go with those. Both looks great.

This is a unique design so it needs unusual grips ... go with the catalogue ones ... you've got to figure something out with the metal strips inbetween, perhaps line them up from the pommel end with the black?

Chaim

the rubber on the catalog grips may be deteriorating. i like the look, but if the rubber is sticky everytime you pick it up, that would be a bummer. Also, that space under the clamp needs a filler, IMO. A small block of aluminum would do nicely...maybe even with a chamfered edge out each end. I have some stock. if you sent me dimensions, I'd cut a piece for you.

The YodaHouse/Blastech grips are the rubber ones, not the catalog grips, those are metal. I got the rubber ones to not be sticky, but the black still comes off on your hand if you rub them.

I'd prefer to leave the clamp the way it is, yeah its weird being open like that, but so were MPP clamps. Trying to stick with how it would have been made if it were made along with the existing OT sabers. Thanks for the offer though :)

I really like the way the regular tracks look, but it would be kind of a bummer getting black on your hands every time you handle it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back