Zeiss Ikon Flash - Custom Lightsaber Build

Did a little photoshop of how the grips may look with black and silver (though I dont know where Id get metal ones). I honestly think the black on black doesnt look too bad, despite being different than other OT sabers.

Also pasted a kobold clip on there on the top and bottom to see how it looked both ways. Not sure ive got enough room on the top to actually rivet it there, but I like how it looks.

customsaber.jpg

Last edited:
EXCELLENT saber. I like the black on black. And I think the Kobold clip is overkill. You already have the D-ring on the end for your belt... two belt rings is redundant.

-Ron

Thanks. I'd only put one on, I put both in the comp to see what either would look like. Both are photoshopped.

Just found these on ebay, the sandblasted surface would match the clamp. Decisions ,decisions..
Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 2.25.52 PM.png

Last edited:
***** ******, I LOVE what you've done with this. bending the shroud was just what it needed! the wires in the sockets...that board (where did you get it again?) is so unique. There are few leads just like the original ESB graflex. I hate seeing the boards post apple computers that are filled with leads, it just doesn't have the same look.

Thanks. I'd only put one on, I put both in the comp to see what either would look like. Both are photoshopped.

Just found these on ebay, the sandblasted surface would match the clamp. Decisions ,decisions..
View attachment 493171

If I'm not mistaken, these are sold with that group of parts from 1980s Star Wars magazines. These were some of the first 'replicas' made, were horribly inaccurate but very well made. I'm not sure where they sourced their T track.

Thanks man! Yeah I figured its unique looking, and metal, so I got them in black and can always sand them down if i want them silver, or just weather them for somewhere in between.

The circuit board is from a 1978 Magnavox Odyssey 2 cartridge.

Last edited:
I'm gonna say I like the silver T-track. Sets it apart from the canon sabers. Maybe ditch the track altogether and go with something original. That board is freaking great.

I had a friend when I was a kid who had the magnavox. We had a Sears Pong console. I'm sure old Atari or clones cartridges could yield some cool boards.

I am really liking this saber. I hope you don't mind but I am totally ripping off your idea for a circuit board on my Peak flash lightsaber. Just picked up a Magnavox Odyssey 2 cartridge off ebay. :)

Used some copper paint on the circuit board, I think it matches the saber much better now (the emitter interior is copper) and has better contrast with the metal leads.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 106
Yeah I've done a few more comps and agree those look best, I'd definetly need help though, don't have any metal cutting machinery. Here are the comps using your photos Scott, of the grips in 2 different spacings.

Photoshop:
customsaber.jpg

Last edited:
- The entire thing is metal, but the main body is covered with something black, either anodized or baked on, I dont know. It has some texture but overall it's pretty smooth. I think I'll keep it, but might it be worth trying some oven cleaner to see if it will come off? I think it would be flat silver underneath, so I'll probably leave it. Also thought about scuffing it all up with some sandpaper so the control details stand out from the black a bit more. It's already going to have to a bit weathered since the clamp and emitter has some rust.
Looks like it's powder coated...and I dig it. Rather than trying to remove ALL of it, I suggest you remove PORTIONS of it, in a pattern, perhaps...or possibly in rings. I'd probably just leave it as-is...if for no other reason than I wouldn't want to ruin it.

- Grips: This is where the above point causes issues. Since the entire body is black, I'm not sure what to do with grips. T-track is black, and I'm not sure how good that might look on this. I like the reversed colors, so maybe use some silver aluminum bracket type grips riveted on?
Some polished metal grips would be awesome...would match the emitter. Something like the Mara Jade saber (though I wouldn't put them as close together cuz I'd want the black to show in between them)?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back