YOUTUBE CHANGES?!?!

I watch A lot of YouTube, rarely every watch cable. Trying to convince my folks to drop it and have one less bill..

But I too have noticed at least the last 2 months more and more ads
I typically have only been getting 1 or 2 ads before the video starts (some of which I can skip, some I can't) and 1 or 2 at the end, which don't matter since the video is over.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I watch enough YouTube content that I went to the Premium version. No Ads, YoutTube Music and just a better experience overall. The minor cost is completely offset by the benefits IMHO. Your mileage may vary.
I did this a few years ago and it is was totally worth it. The cost isn't much, if you think about it - especially since I watch more YouTube than normal programming.

Still got the dislike button and the counter
View attachment 1514033
And these aren't my channels. Got it on all videos.
What browser/app/operating system are you using? This is what I get.

Untitled.jpg

Sponcer-block skips over the parts where the actual blogger try's to promote the free stuff some company gave them.
It skips with a note in the corner so you can actually watch that part if you want to and green on the stream progression at the bottom of the video.

Isn't YouTube free? I get that ads are annoying but come on folks, nobody is entitled to free entertainment. Remember when TV signals were free but you had to sit through commercials? Pretty much the same thing with YouTube. I had to listen to my daughter complaining about 4 ads during the first episode of Rick and Morty season 5, it took a lot of control for me not to say "back in MY day..." ;)
Sit through commercials?
VHS recording - fast forward! ;)

well I started watching a comedy special today and low and behold there is a "youtube prime" (or such) available or coming. it said "tired of ad's?!? switch to youtube (plus) or whatever) and no more ad's!! I dont have reg. tv (who does!?!) I pay for disney+ and netflix that's it, there is enough content for me and my son to last forever. plus I have a decent dvd/blue ray collection. I usually just watch you tube for tutorials, tested and prop building etc. just have to get used to the ad's lol

Isn't YouTube free? I get that ads are annoying but come on folks, nobody is entitled to free entertainment. Remember when TV signals were free but you had to sit through commercials? Pretty much the same thing with YouTube. I had to listen to my daughter complaining about 4 ads during the first episode of Rick and Morty season 5, it took a lot of control for me not to say "back in MY day..." ;)

If they wanted to be paid, they could charge people a subscription up front and people could decide if they wanted to sit through it. They don't because they know nobody would do it. It's why YouTube Red never went anywhere. People don't want to watch commercials. Back in the old days of broadcast TV, when commercials came on, I got up and left the room. They can show them. That doesn't obligate me to watch them. They need to figure out some means to make money that the average viewer is willing to put up with.

The prevalence of ad blockers show that this isn't one of them.

If they wanted to be paid, they could charge people a subscription up front and people could decide if they wanted to sit through it. They don't because they know nobody would do it. It's why YouTube Red never went anywhere. People don't want to watch commercials. Back in the old days of broadcast TV, when commercials came on, I got up and left the room. They can show them. That doesn't obligate me to watch them. They need to figure out some means to make money that the average viewer is willing to put up with.

The prevalence of ad blockers show that this isn't one of them.
Or they don't figure out a way to make money and just shut down. Personally I just don't think I'm entitled to whatever I want for free so I don't mind the ads but I'm also one of the suckers paying for the RPF so take it with a grain of salt. ;)
I've never used ad blockers but my kid does, apparently she can't use a YouTube account and ad blockers at the same time but maybe it depends on the software in use.

Nothing is ever free. Not paying for YouTube? Gotta watch ads. Use a free ad blocker? They're selling your data to who knows. You decide which currency you want to pay with.

Full disclosure I pay for YouTube premium. I don't have to see ads and I'm supporting my favorite creators.

Ads haven't been a big issue for me for a long while. I don't get many ads that I can't skip after a few seconds and mid video ads aren't as common as they once were and most are skippable.

Or they don't figure out a way to make money and just shut down. Personally I just don't think I'm entitled to whatever I want for free so I don't mind the ads but I'm also one of the suckers paying for the RPF so take it with a grain of salt. ;)
I've never used ad blockers but my kid does, apparently she can't use a YouTube account and ad blockers at the same time but maybe it depends on the software in use.
Then they do. It's not my job to go along with their money-making schemes, it's their job to come up with a workable plan that keeps them in business.

Then they do. It's not my job to go along with their money-making schemes, it's their job to come up with a workable plan that keeps them in business.
It's not a scheme, it's a business. A "scheme" would be using software to ensure a business doesn't make a profit while you get the content they have.
This whole thread is complaining about not getting something for free.

It's not a scheme, it's a business. A "scheme" would be using software to ensure a business doesn't make a profit while you get the content they have.
This whole thread is complaining about not getting something for free.
It's a plan, but with all business plans, there are two sides. There's the business side, the one that wants to make the money and there's the customer side, the one that has money that it wants to spend. Both sides need to agree that the arrangement is voluntarily mutually beneficial. YouTube needs to find a way to make money that is acceptable to the viewer. Advertising, for many people, is not. Nobody ever signed any kind of legally-binding agreement that they would watch the ads (and, in the case of the advertisers, buy the products since they aren't paying for ads for nothing) before viewing the crap on YouTube, or TV or anywhere else. The arrangement has always been voluntary participation which could never be compelled.

Because you have to remember that the goal here, the goal of the advertisers, isn't just to have a bunch of eyes on the screen, it's to get people to go out and spend money on their products. If they're not getting a return on their investment, they're going to stop investing. There are a lot of people who pretend that it's our *DUTY* to sit there and watch these stupid ads when it's not. If you want to take that to it's logical conclusion, it's your *DUTY* to go out and buy all of the products and support all of the causes because that's what actually keeps the advertising dollars rolling in. If you're not willing to do that then there's no point to even seeing the damn things.

So I don't.

It's a plan, but with all business plans, there are two sides. There's the business side, the one that wants to make the money and there's the customer side, the one that has money that it wants to spend. Both sides need to agree that the arrangement is voluntarily mutually beneficial. YouTube needs to find a way to make money that is acceptable to the viewer. Advertising, for many people, is not. Nobody ever signed any kind of legally-binding agreement that they would watch the ads (and, in the case of the advertisers, buy the products since they aren't paying for ads for nothing) before viewing the crap on YouTube, or TV or anywhere else. The arrangement has always been voluntary participation which could never be compelled.

Because you have to remember that the goal here, the goal of the advertisers, isn't just to have a bunch of eyes on the screen, it's to get people to go out and spend money on their products. If they're not getting a return on their investment, they're going to stop investing. There are a lot of people who pretend that it's our *DUTY* to sit there and watch these stupid ads when it's not. If you want to take that to it's logical conclusion, it's your *DUTY* to go out and buy all of the products and support all of the causes because that's what actually keeps the advertising dollars rolling in. If you're not willing to do that then there's no point to even seeing the damn things.

So I don't.
Nobody in this conversation suggested a DUTY to watch ads:

I've considered signing up for YouTube RED mainly so I can use the background feature while listening to podcasts at work. Getting rid of the ads is just a bonus, like my RPF subscription.

People can skip ads, use software to block them or pay cash for an information/entertainment service but the suggestion that a business is somehow unfair for attempting to make a profit by selling ad space while at the same time taking what they offer for free seems overly entitled to me. If it was all "crap" you wouldn't be going there.

Nobody in this conversation suggested a DUTY to watch ads:

I've considered signing up for YouTube RED mainly so I can use the background feature while listening to podcasts at work. Getting rid of the ads is just a bonus, like my RPF subscription.

People can skip ads, use software to block them or pay cash for an information/entertainment service but the suggestion that a business is somehow unfair for attempting to make a profit by selling ad space while at the same time taking what they offer for free seems overly entitled to me. If it was all "crap" you wouldn't be going there.
There's a difference between "is this content worth watching" and "is this content worth paying for." IMO, YouTube falls entirely into the first category.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back