"You must pass on what you have learned." My son's first build: Fallen Order Lightsaber

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
My son Strider is 17. He really liked Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order video game. I thought it might be fun to introduce him to prop building with a simple project that would allow me to introduce him to various techniques that can be utilized.

I picked up a nice 3D printed kit of the lightsaber hilt on Etsy. I got to introduce him to the following techniques in this two day project, I got to introduce him to:
  • Sanding
  • Boiling water to reshape plastics
  • Spray painting
  • Wet sanding
  • Powdered graphite finishing
  • Acrylic paint washing for weathering
  • Making due with what you have (unbraided picture wire for wire strays)

I think for his first project, it turned out pretty good.

3AD5C6EE-A6BE-4800-B775-5C7BC6126455.jpeg

Last edited:
My son Strider is 17. He really liked Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order video game. I thought it might be fun to introduce him to prop building with a simple project that would allow me to introduce him to various techniques that can be utilized.

I picked up a nice 3D printed kit of the lightsaber hilt on Etsy. I got to introduce him to the following techniques in this two day project, I got to introduce him to:
Sanding
Boiling water to reshape plastics
Spray painting
Wet sanding
Powdered graphite finishing
Acrylic paint washing for weathering
Making due with what you have (unbraided picture wire for wire strays(

I think for his first project, it turned out pretty good.

View attachment 1294355
MAN!!!

I JUST ordered the exact same kit on Thursday, ironically, for my son as a gift as well.

I was planning on using a heat gun to flare out & add some damage to the cut section, but if you've had good results with boiling water, I may just try that. I'd not heard of that technique before.

Nice work! Truly looks like a beaten weathered saber, the finish is great

What parts did you have to boil?

Nice work! Truly looks like a beaten weathered saber, the finish is great

What parts did you have to boil?

The end of grip where the damage is. We pulled the damaged ends so they flared out a little like you see in the game.

The finish is a combo of gloss white base, rubbed powder graphite, matte finish sealer, and a black rubbed on/off acrylic paint.

MAN!!!

I JUST ordered the exact same kit on Thursday, ironically, for my son as a gift as well.

I was planning on using a heat gun to flare out & add some damage to the cut section, but if you've had good results with boiling water, I may just try that. I'd not heard of that technique before.

I got the idea from the techique action figure customizers use to pop off and replace heads. It worked very well. Just dip in boiling water. Quickly use pliers to flare out plastic, run under cold water. Repeat as needed. Made sure you do not misshape the shape of the tube as you need to ensure hilt section that is inserted can stil fit. If you have a problem, just reheat and insert piece or reform.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back