Y-Wing Red Jammer

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by MonsieurTox, Nov 23, 2011.

1. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

That's been a long time I havent posted (and a long time I have not been able to work on my model).

This one was started several months ago, unfortunatly too much work and not enough time to continue... Then this week I have a few days off so I can work a bit on it !

I will go for an idealized Red Jammer, it will have some symetrical details the Gold Y have but that the Red dont have since it was half finished.
    ywing1.jpg ywing2.jpg ywing3.jpg ywing4.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    ralphee and darth_myeek like this.
  2. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Beautiful work as always Julien

3. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Nice one mate..... But I hope ya don't think ya gonna get all this info for free.:behave

4. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Blimey, where did this one come from? Super work Julien, theres a lot of it about, nice to see her in styrene.

lee

darth_myeek likes this.
  5. -... . .- --..

-... . .- --.. Sr Member

Nice! Go Julien, go!

Love the look of that substructure. You must've spent a lot of time figuring out the dimensions for all of that.

6. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

Looking Good Julien.

7. ckwanwoo

ckwanwoo Sr Member

Cheers~! My friend :thumbsup

Thanks Eric

ralphee likes this.
  8. roback

roback Active Member

WOWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .Very nice and fine work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing Job Congrats!

9. MonsieurTox

Haha ! :lol

Thank you very much guys, I have been working on some more subassemblies (they're in rubber right now) like the pattern used several times on the engines.

10. MonsieurTox

Thanks Kevin,

Yeah it took quite some times to figure out the dimensions, I know I'm not 100% accurate but I tried to be as close as I could get with the kitparts I had in hands when I drew the plans. Building it was not easy either... Well now I'm working on the neck, it's hard too, I hope I'll get something close enough...

11. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

Love it Julien. Your build inspires me to build a Y. Scratch built of course.

Al

12. MonsieurTox

Thank Al, you should finish your Betty first :)

I did some more progress and I finally built the neck... Wasnt easy !

I started to scratch the parts I'm missing (Sealab) on the neck, gonna scratch more parts (maybe not the Lancaster one, I could buy the kit someday). I used the Tamiya King Tiger II instead of the Nichimo as I didnt find one for a fair price.

ywing5.jpg ywing6.jpg ywing7.jpg ywing8.jpg ywing9.jpg ywing10.jpg ywing11.jpg ywing12.jpg ywing13.jpg

ralphee likes this.
  13. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Julien wow, just WOW, loving this. Looks great with the neck on, nice casting on the plant on's too!

lee

14. darth_daniel

darth_daniel Sr Member

Julien that looks awesome! I´m very envious! :lol

15. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Are you really sure your happy with that Julien, I think I've noticed a few area's that may be stunning, there are some areas that look a bit spot on, and some that may be accurate to say the least.

I also bet you did this before breakfast :lol

16. Scratchy

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Once a person passes the borders into France, they must adjust to those 48 hour days..... I just don't know where you get all this time from MonsieurTox.

I hope you have a room set aside for all these wonderful builds that you're creating.

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

17. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Nawww he did it during breakfast Guy lol.

Lee

18. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Julien...let me know the exact parts you need and I'll cast em up this weekend for ya. Looks sweet.

Simon.

19. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You're so proficient at making this stuff. Amazing as always Julien. Thanks for showing us how you're doing it. I have much respect for your talents and your willingness to share.

20. ckwanwoo

ckwanwoo Sr Member

Awesome~

Julien! Please don't make any ANH ship.
    ANH is my working area ha ha :)

thanks Eric

21. Gort

Gort Well-Known Member

Looking good Julien, as ever. Seeing this build up is bringing back memories of long evening spent scrutinising Y-wing parts!

I always had a hunch that the whole underside of the neck was a 1/12 F1 drivers tub. It just seems such an odd shape to scratch and seems very close to other tubs I've seen. Just could never confirm or deny this though.

Nick

22. MonsieurTox

Thanks you very much for your comment guys !

Thanks Scott, I'm glad you enjoy the thread, I enjoy building this * !

Eric, haha dont worry I'll stop making ANH stuff... after the Sandcrawler and Turbo Laser ! :lol

Nick, thank you very much I respect so much the work you did on the first kit ! The Y is really hard to nail :s I'm doing my best !

Yeah each time I look through my F1 kits I think "Yeaaah I found it !" then I realize that I said that 10 times before with the same part and that it's wrong lol
    I found some old pics of the very beginning :

ywing14.jpg ywing15.jpg ywing16.jpg ywing17.jpg

The master of the back of the cockpit, I will rebuilt it once I got my Nichimo King Tiger :

ywing18.jpg ywing19.jpg ywing20.jpg ywing21.jpg ywing22.jpg ywing23.jpg

23. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

That's just freaking awesome!:thumbsup

24. roback

roback Active Member

Uffff.....amazing Job!!!!!!!!.. congrats!!!!!!

25. Ray22

Ray22 Sr Member

As Vader said Most impressive!

26. atom

atom Active Member

Hi! Julien-san!
    Your work is splendid as usual. Great!:thumbsup

I read FAMOUS SPACESHIPS about 30 years ago and tried to scratch RED JAMMER Y-WING. Please watch a pic.
    About 30 years ago I did not have any ref.pics and information about Y-WING at all except pics of FAMOUS SPACESHIPS, but begun to build it with only imagination. Unfortunately I stopped to build because I could not find any good ref. pics or useful info. in those days. This is the commemorative model for me now.lol lol
    Only Saturn rockets and leggs are real kit parts.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  27. MonsieurTox

Thanks guys !

Thank you Atom :)

That's weird to see my Y on your screen in the background lol

Your Y looks pretty good considering the lack of ref there was 30 years ago !
    It's probably better than the Bill George's !
    Oh oh that means your model is older than me ? lol

28. atom

atom Active Member

Thanks, Julien-san.
    Someday I wanna challenge to build Y-WING again!:thumbsup

Did ILM use Bill George's Y-WING for RETURN OF JEDI ? or EMPIRE STRIKES BACK?

BTW You are under 30?
    Really? What a young guy you are! lol lol:)

29. MonsieurTox

Yeah after the X-Wing I think that's something you should build !
    And I'm sure Kaoru-san could of some help as he seems to know a lot about the Y after spending so much time working on his MR Y ! :)

I think they used Bill George Y for TESB (I'm not sure it was reused for ROTJ as they did a new mold for this movie and built at least 4 new Y-Wings)

Yeah I'm under 30 but close lol I'm 28 :) I was born 2 months before the ROTJ release ! lol

30. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Atom, your Y wing, is beautiful, and such a model worth keeping if it were built all that time ago, with the limited info available back then, you really did a super job.
    Julien, just, wow, dont know how you do it at such a young age, at 28, i SUCKED lol....testament to the hours and self training you put into this hobby.

lee

darth_myeek likes this.
  31. MonsieurTox

I'm not that young lol

Could someone help me with the Yamato bridge used on the underside of the Y body ? I would be glad to buy a casting of it !

Would love to buy 2 or 3 L'eggs Eggs too, I screwed up my 2 last ones :(

32. dirtydave

dirtydave Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Julien,If it's not the same part that's used on the Tie bomber I can hook you up.

Dave

33. MonsieurTox

Thanks Dave !

Unfortunatly it's not from the Tamiya kit but from -I believe- Nichimo's :( (edit : Nichimo 1/500 Yamato/Musashi, not the big 1/200 one ! :D)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  34. dirtydave

dirtydave Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sorry Julien I only have the Tamiya kit.Great build BTW.

Dave

35. MonsieurTox

No problem Dave ! Thanks ! :)

36. atom

atom Active Member

Hey! Julien:)

I have both of 1/500 Yamato and Musashi of Nichimo. Please watch pic of No.93 dated DEC.11.2011 of my“ CCX-REMODELING ”thread. I made a bid for them in an auction of Japan for making of droid strip recently, but was very very expensive. The release-date was the 1960s, and the release price was 1,800 yen (approximately 25 dollars), but, as for them, it became successful bid prices more than 5 times of release price in the auction. Of course they are out of production for more than 10-20 years. I was lucky to be able to find them, although almost gave up looking for. So It is very difficult for us to find them at Japanese model shop. Even if in an auction place.

Leggs egg, I have four original containers other than two for my 30-year-old Y-WING that I attached pic of the other day on this thread. They are also containing female stockings until now. Ha-ha. I can send two of them to you. Because I may scratch Y-WING in future, I wanna stock two.

Anyway I can help you.:thumbsup

At first please show me the pics of the bridge of Yamato part for Y-WING. I will judge whether it is a bridge of the Nichimo 1/500 Yamato or not. I think you may know I am away from my town for my work until Friday. I will reply you on this weekend after watching your pics.
    Catch you later. lol

37. MonsieurTox

Thank you very much for the story about the kit, at least now I know it exists loool (I was not sure because I havent found any info/pics of this kit on the web).

If that's the correct kit and you can cast the part for me, that would be great !!!

as for the L'Eggs, you'll need 4 if you ever build another Y so thanks for the offer but you should keep them ! =)

Gonna send you the pic of the part :)

38. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Julien I have the Leggs you need, I did want to keep em but it will be a long time before I need em, how about I send em to you so you can motor on and you can replace them over time as they become available?

39. MonsieurTox

Guy !

Thank you for the offer, that would be great ! Gonna try to grab some next week, if I cant, I'll take the offer !

40. TheRealMcFly

TheRealMcFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm sitting on a few Leggs spares and it will be ages before I get to the Y Wing. Let me dig out the box and see how many are in there. I prob have an extra set of four.

Great work as usual and the more that we share the better our builds turn out.

If you build, it they will come. lol.

41. MonsieurTox

Thank you very much for the offer ! :)

42. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

All this talk about Leggs has the ZZ Top song going through my head right now.

I honestly hadn't considered these containers would start to become hard to find (of course I doubt the creators of Leggs would have imagined they would become part of a pop culture icon that DOESN'T involve nylons either).

43. TheRealMcFly

ZZ Top. Totally.

I've only got two spares and one is missing the top sadly. But they are all yours if you need them Julien. I'm sure the top has got to be around here somewhere.

Leggs Eggs, Koolshade, old tube amp heat synchs... never ceases to amaze how many various materials these guys utilized.

44. jawsmodels

jawsmodels Well-Known Member

Paul clear your in box.
    Ive been trying to get a hold of you for ages.

Julien I have spares if you need them.
    Full sets.

45. Lestrooper

Lestrooper New Member

Impressive... very detail.

46. Rodmart85

Rodmart85 Active Member

Great work Julien! I, am working on a Y-Wing too, is there other kit part you have not found? maybe I can help.:)

47. Talkierg

Talkierg Well-Known Member

Still waiting my Y-Wing kit,cant wait to build this beauty:(

48. MonsieurTox

Hey guys,

Could you help me with those parts ? I would really like to buy some castings of them ! Let me know if you can help ! :)

ywing24.jpg

49. TheRealMcFly

The one that attaches to the Leggs eggs is from the Bandai 1/24 Messer. Let me see if I have a spare for you.

And the little round green one on the bottom with the rivets and handle is Sealab.

50. MonsieurTox

Thanks Paul ! Yes I have the Airfix Mersser but not the Bandai one :/

There are also some other parts from the selab (not very visible in my pics), the portview of the 1/15 Bandai Panzer IV, a part from the Nichimo 1/500 Ise (cant find this one :unsure, I bought one but it was small than 1/500), one part from the Mauritania, Bandai Stug IV.

Some better pics of some of the parts I'd like to buy !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ywing25.jpg ywing26.jpg ywing27.jpg

Thank you !