Y Wing based on the Dave G open source project

Darkside, thanks for the tip! Just picked up a pack on EBay, I'll see if they're the right size.

Scott Janish is preparing to sell thin resin casts off of some of my original sheets. He says they look pretty good. Look out for them soon in the project runs section.

Getting closer.

I decided to use the wider/modified neck upper parts and the original neck lower part. I had to chop the 8 rad pieces either side of the neck in order to accommodate the shorter neck - the way it's designed is a little short compared to the actual prop. Somehow, even though it's short, all the greeblies on the top were able to be used. Same with the lower greeblies. Some of the detail parts were shortened to fit into the space available. Overall I'm very happy with the way it came out.

I'm surprised that all detail parts fit pretty well since this is the first version of Dave's fuselage and neck. It just goes to show how close Dave was in guesstimating the dimensions. Great job Dave!

Regarding gus76's cockpit: I was concerned about the layers visible on the dash which shows under the front window when buttoned up. Fortunately it's very easy to sand the lines out of it. It still has the lines in some places on the rest of the interior, but since it's basically in shadow I won't have to try to hide them. I like the perfect way the cockpit plugs right into the upper. Here's the link for the cockpit project run: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=269666

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 1.jpg
    FullSizeRender 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 407
  • FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 433
Closer to the start of painting (when the weather warms up, since I have to paint outside).

I got the vanes on the end of the tees and am starting the piping attachment. The canopy and gun that goes on top aren't cemented yet - I'm waiting to paint them separately. I'm eagerly awaiting Dave's clamp-like thingys, that go around the l'eggs, to be designed.

My right side of the yoke piece still has incorrect detail on it. Since no photographic evidence of that area is available, I might just have to leave it that way.

There are still a few unidentified parts that go on the bottom of the kettenkrad pieces and parts that go on the sides of the lower neck. Since only one underside pic exists of the Ladd Y, it's probably going to be near impossible to tell what those parts are. They aren't very well shown even in that pic.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 395
  • FullSizeRender1.jpg
    FullSizeRender1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 400
  • FullSizeRender2.jpg
    FullSizeRender2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 381
This is looking seriously awesome Scott! Speaking of the bottom, the bottom of Gold Leader and the MOM Y appear to be casts and are nearly identical to Red Jammer with the exception of the pipes. Would it be safe to say that the Ladd Y is the same on the bottom? Maybe, I'm not understanding the area your talking about.

Thanks Mike. I have noticed similarities in MoM. I should go through those again to see if there's a clue there. Same with gold leader I guess - I hadn't noticed that it was similar.

Here's an illustration of the areas I'm talking about.

Attachments

• bottom details.jpg
    bottom details.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 391
After looking through some MoM Y pics I found a somewhat clearer pic. Thanks for the help Mike. Here's what I think I see there.

Attachments

• MoM Y underside.jpg
    MoM Y underside.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 388
Your welcome! You are correct, it is the same old Centurion part cut up. The opposite side is not so clear, but may possibly be the same piece cut up and arranged differently. They seem to really like to do that.

This may help you with your search also. The first is the same area on Gold Leader which I am positive uses the part pictured, but the problem is I'm not sure what kit it's from as it came from Jason's greeblie pack.
19.jpg

This is the same area on the MOM and it sure looks to be the steering yoke from the Hurricane kit and is also used on the opposite side. I can't be 100% positive on this one, but maybe they used one of these on the Ladd Y?
Star Wars - Gold Y-Wing (92).jpg

I can't tell by the reference I have of the Ladd Y, but the hope is that you may have something that these might help you with.

Last edited:
That first piece I think is landing gear from the airfix 177.

I can confirm that -- that first piece (that shows up in Jason's greeblie pack) is a landing gear piece from the Airfix 1/72 Heinkel He 177. I have the kit, but can't send a picture as I'm out of town on vacation. In some boxings, it's also called "Greif".

A follow up on the Roco Tank Obstacle parts that were mentioned as being used as the little trapazoidal bits at the back end of the Saturn V shells... I don't think so. I picked up a pack on eBay, measured and modeled them and compared to photos of Gold Leader they are too large and the wrong shape. Here is an enlargement of a section from the original model. From this you can see that the trapazoid is just a bit wider than 5 ridges on the Saturn shells, that come out to almost exactly .250" (1/4") wide.

Trapazoids2_zpsjqguzs1f.jpg

The smallest of the tank obstacles is .292" wide. Here I've modeled it to scale and placed in more or less the correct orientation on the Saturn can. You can see it's just too big. Even if it were sanded down to the right height it would still be too wide but more obviously the angles of the sides are too steep.

Tank%20Obstacle%20Render_zpswa6p5ovn.jpg

The other sizes ox tank obstacles in the pack are not better, even if sanded down. The search continues...

I've been slowly adding missing parts to my Y. I added all the parts I could ID on the bottom of the square kettenkrad parts for instance. Finally got those ID'd.

I still don't know what this part is from (see pic taken from one of Jamie's great in progress shots). It's on the right sidewall of the yoke piece. The Ladd Y I'm making seems to have the same part needed.

Can anyone tell me what kit it might be from?

Attachments

• yoke part missing.jpg
    yoke part missing.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 344
Sorry, yes it is an assembly. Jamie told me he thought he remembered that the larger piece that the three little ones are attached is from the 25 PDR, but I couldn't find it.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back