**COMPLETED** Y-Wing 1/48 resin model

Nice work. What printer/modeling softward combo are you using?

Thanks! Elegoo Mars with their ABS-like gray resin. I add supports in PrusaSlicer and then slice in ChituBox.

Great work so far....can’t wait to see how it goes....1/48’s a good scale

J

Thanks!

Very cool.

My biggest regret about Bandai, is they didn't do a 1/48 Y-wing.

Same. I've been wanting Bandai to do a 1/48 Y for years now, and since they haven't, well, I guess I'll have to make my own...

SB

You might want to wait a touch and grab a Saturn for just a it more money and double the print volume...

Jedi Dade

Too late. It was a birthday present. I'm good with the Mars for a couple of years as I get good and creating files and printing them, then I'll move up in size.

I kind of wish I had known about the Saturn before I got my Mars in December, but I've been plenty happy with it so far. Maybe in a year or so they'll release a Saturn Pro, and I'll spring for that one. Anyway.

Just pulled off these parts. Sorry for the phone photo quality.

IMG_2653.jpg

The panel lines on the landing gear bump are pretty fine! Can't wait to hit these parts with some primer to really show the details. Until then, it'll just be more boring posts like this one.

Next step, the cockpit head upper and lower halves. Stay tuned.

SB

Okay, just a little update. A non-update, really, but some lessons learned. I printed the top part of the head (a 10 hour print!), and came down this morning to this:

IMG_2662.jpg

I forgot to add supports along the front lip of the inside of the cockpit. If that was the only issue with this piece, I would try to salvage it, but there are other things wrong with it as well. The overhang along the back is all warped, again, I think, due to not having enough supports there. There's also a weird wave along the surface toward the nose. So I have sliced the piece again, and added the necessary supports.

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 11.25.47 AM.png

It's a bummer that it's a waste of resin, but that's all part of the learning process I suppose. Anyway, here's to another 10 or so hours!

SB

In spite of the battle damage, it is still pretty cool.

You need to figure out how to cast me a copy of the model, when you are done. ;)

That's a bummer.

Instead of print the "shell if you will, is it possible to create a honeycomb or cage like internal structure for it that does not have to be cutaway, but can provide support?

So I replaced the FEP on my Mars, greased the z-axis screw, and the prints are coming out great! I finally got a decent (read: good enough) print of the top-side of the cockpit head that I'm happy with. There's a little wave towards the top, but that can come out easily enough with some sanding. i wonder if the wave comes from how I oriented the part in the slicer...? Lots of learning going on over here!

IMG_2686.jpg

It's hard to see the panel lines in that pic (that's straight off the printer, before going into the curing station), but once I get some primer on it, the details will pop! I'm printing out the bottom of the head now, so stay tuned.

SB

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back