XRobots Iron Man: Video added page 22, fours years into 4 mins

Re: XRobots Iron Man Mk6 UPDATED: Dollar store Arc Reactor build added

This thread has completely rekindled my interest in completing my armor. Amazing work. Just unreal amount of talent.

seen all ur vids, really got me motivated. i kinda used ur idea to build my vacuum former. waiting for my smoothcast to get here to try the plastic coating method for my WM. thanks for all the insightful post and videos.

I dont suppose you plan on doing a tutorial video on the picaxe chips and servo stuff for us non electronic people's do you?! *fingers crossed*

I dont suppose you plan on doing a tutorial video on the picaxe chips and servo stuff for us non electronic people's do you?! *fingers crossed*

The best place to learn about the detail of that is Home - PICAXE . These are used in schools to teach electronics, so the documentation and support forums have lots of information. I wasn't planning on doing tutorials on basic electronics or repeating what's already there.

James, why do you have to be so good at all this stuff? :L
You make quite a lot of the other builds here look mediochre, and you have maintained a low-ish cost to everything... Amazing.
Love it, cant wait to see what you've still got in store :)

XRobots/James... thank you! How unfortunate of me to only stumble upon this thread of yours a bit too late! You're now officially one of the top contributors in my list of motivators :) Thank you for all the ideas that you have shared. I'am now motivated to share some of the stuff I learned a long the way..I'm still not done with my suit but I'll try to add something for the community...

Last edited:
The best place to learn about the detail of that is Home - PICAXE . These are used in schools to teach electronics, so the documentation and support forums have lots of information. I wasn't planning on doing tutorials on basic electronics or repeating what's already there.

Thanks James I will look into this!
Keep up the good work, it inspires me to try my hand at all these things!

Thanks for the comments everyone. Here's the video to go with my Arc Reactor build:

Iron Man Arc Reactor prop made from dollar store parts - YouTube

YT01.jpg

while i was watchin this video, i thought to myself: never in time will those plastic cups look good for that.

and in the end i was like:
WTF youre a Wizard!

the only thing i would have done differently, is wrap the copper wire only around the chip mounts, not the cups too.

the only thing i would have done differently, is wrap the copper wire only around the chip mounts, not the cups too.

Yes, if I was doing it again then I'd make the clear cup rim shorter and stick a chip holder on the bottom too - then wrap the wire around the pair... or use something else entirely. I was thinking about making a thinner version altogether so you can wear it, which would have something similar.

Re: XRobots Iron Man Mk6 UPDATED: Dollar store Arc Reactor VIDEO added

Those look nice and smooth. o_O For the record, I've been following your progress on your site and YouTube channel. So one thing I gotta ask is this:

Infrared. Any progress with that?

Yeah I saw that, and the ultrasonic range finder, that was pretty cool too. Problem is that I was going with the Arduino route, because of Zabana's tip about the Voice Recognition module. If Picaxe can do the same thing, then I'll go that route. Some of their stuff looks cheaper, anyway.

So in reference to your last update just a few posts up, when you cast these parts, what are you using to cast them? Because when I think "casting" I think silicone molds and some sort of plaster-bondo-type of substance to be poured into it. :confused

So in reference to your last update just a few posts up, when you cast these parts, what are you using to cast them? Because when I think "casting" I think silicone molds and some sort of plaster-bondo-type of substance to be poured into it. :confused

Yes Silicone Moulds and Polyurethane fast cast, the whole project, in stages, is here: XRobots.co.uk - Iron Man MkVI Armour

Can you possibly connect the servos to the lights to make it light up when closed and turn off when open?

Can you possibly connect the servos to the lights to make it light up when closed and turn off when open?

Yes - that's exactly what I said in the video, I'll use a spare output on the servo controller configured as a digital out to control the lights.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back