XRobots - 3D Printed Mechanical R2-D2 2-3-2 assembly

XRobots

I started with part 1 in my Lightsaber thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=204664&highlight=retracting+lightsaber

I've now built the entire frame:

CAD01.jpg

CAD02.jpg

frame17.jpg

Here's the video of it being built:

Attachments

• frame17.jpg
    frame17.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 271
Last edited by a moderator:
awesome work sir! recently found you on YouTube, so many projects...(loving the hulkbuster progress!) where on earth do you find the time to fit in all of this amazing work?

Amazing.

Best 3d printed project yet!

I think the "play" in the sliding mechanism will only make it more "real R2" cause even in the best cut takes, in the OT movies it wasn't a tight fluid motion...

So a little jerkiness IMHO will actually only add to the effect!

And like you said, once it's down it locks straight and solid So... Yeah...

Simply awesome!

Now get back to work! ;)

looking great sir, can't wait to see it up on its feet. for an old school crafter like myself, its amazing to watch the parts coming together with those 3d printers, although it would seem that some of the joy of making those parts yourself by hand is lost?

Very Nice!

You make me want to start up a R2 build. well maybe not a R2, I'm thinking more on the line of T6 from SWTOR. Just to be different.

I have a 3D printer, I just need to design him up.

Man, you people on this site have me shaking my head in disbelief every day.
The talent and skill is impressive.

I'll be watching this one.

I think I will end up getting a TAZ 5 thanks to watching James at work. I have a Makerbot Replicator 2, but am stuck in PLA land without heavy mods I don't feel like messing with. And the TAZ has that nice, large build area! I will wait for a bit, as I anticipate that nifty auto-level feature from the Mini will migrate over soon (I hope!). Getting into 3D printing a couple of years back got me back into doing things by hand as well, as the prints never come out the way I would like. That means, sanding, finishing, and quite often, mold making...

Here's the main drive wheels - they are printed in Ninjaflex and ABS bonded together with dual extruders:

feet10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
james its coming along great! i love the crazy driving at the end! LOL, your hairs getting pretty long now too!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back