X-Wing Red 6 Build

Rodmart85

Hi, I have been wanting for a while now to build the Red 6 X-Wing:love.
I know there is very little info on this bird but I think there is enough info to
paint a cool X-Wing and there is space to improvise and try to do a cool weathering based on the style of the other Red Squadron ships.
As I haven't have too much time to cast a full X-Wing for myself I started casting by parts and using some parts that were not perfect but good enough to apply putty on them.
So I started with the coolest of the 4 wings:) I painted the basic stuff and now I will start the weathering. Here are some pics:

Bests:
Rod

Hi Rodmart,

I just love the way your so casual about the whole thing! You painted the basic stuff and now (Yawn! stretch arms) you will start the weathering.

I looked at the pics first before reading (Yep I do that a lot) and thought you had finished. LOL

Looking forward to it as well.

Ozzy

Looking good! I'm looking forward to seeing how you resolve the red 6 scheme. I'd like to learn a little about how you see it. Great paint jobs on your work so far.

Looks great so far!
As you said - there is very little info on that one. plus the confusion of 2 different pyros called Red 6 which are obviously not the same bird.

Can't wait to see more!

My fave bird. Good stuff, Rod.

Couple of things, don't forget the pentagon inside the wing. Also, the red marking under the outer wing should follow the trailing edge panel line. Think I know why you have deviated from that - it's the McCune pic isn't it?

If you look closely, you will see that the reason it looks that way is you are seeing the blurred white edge of the rear of the laser cannon detail. In reality the red does follow the panel line.

Thanks for your words everyone.
I am working on our Y-Wing right now so this may be a very slow build:lolbut today I had some time and I painted a droid strip:

I saw that Marko started a thread on the Red 6 scheme, cool.
Even though I will try to match most of the painting details to what we can see on the few pics there are from this bird from the making off videos, I will sure add stuff of my own to the painting scheme, that is the fun part of painting the Red 6 for me, you have some liberty to work because there is not much info.
I also discovered that was easier to paint the wings separately although it was cool paiting my Red 5 "a la ILM" with the ship fully assembled stuck on the stand, but it proved very uncomfortable to airbrush weathering inside the wings and really hard to protect areas already painted from the airbrush flow, so now I am trying this Painting by parts style.

Nwerke said:
Also, the red marking under the outer wing should follow the trailing edge panel line. Think I know why you have deviated from that - it's the McCune pic isn't it?

Martyn, mate, I don't get what you are telling me, what of all the McCune pics you mean, could you post it here? Thanks pal

Bests:
Rod

Martyn, mate, I don't get what you are telling me, what of all the McCune pics you mean, could you post it here? Thanks pal

I was just wondering why you took the red inner-wingtip panel along a more tapering line at the trailing edge. It actually follows the panel line. Were you following a pic?

Thanks everyone.
Nwerke, mate I took that idea from this picture:

You can see that the red panel has a different angle from the wing shape so I assumed it did not went along the panel line that should be parallel to the wing edge, then I looked other pictures and it all became clear, the panel carving was done s little off on this wing. Thanks for the tip mate, I have already corrected the panel

And there it is again. The pentagon decal that appears on one of the tie fighter models and on the Cylon raider. Gettin to be an ILM trademark. Jason.... Could ya add that to ya next decal sheet?

I haven't done the final weathering on the wing I posted before but I found out I was missing a red panel on the wing so I painted it and corrected the inner wing panel as Nwerke pointed out ( thanks mate:thumbsup).
This is the panel I missed before:

And here is how I painted it on to the wing shown above:

I painted the opposite upper wing. Even though there are not many pictures showing this wing clearly I was able to find out that it had not too much paint work on it, so it was the ideal wing to have fun improvising how a hero Red 6 wing could have looked, so here is what I did. I hope you like it and remember, this following wing it's absolutely not text book Red 6:)

Here is the paneling, mostly airbrush, maskool, and some water acrylic wash befor the finl weathering:

Last edited:
Thanks Simon!
And finally, the final weathering, I am just missing the Mecanorma stuff and a little something on the stug parts in front of the wing, boy painting an X-Wing takes a lot of time! You start painting and the day goes by without you noticing it until you are starving and check out the clock!!:lol:lol
It's a lot of fun!

Bests:
Rod

Last edited:
Rod,
that paintjob is one of the bests i've ever seen on a X-Wing :thumbsup
Yeah, i know it's really time-consuming, but those wings looks soooo great.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back