X-wing helmet

ID10T

Sr Member
I know there’s some decent “cheap” options available now, which I’ll probably end up with, but I was curious if it is known what the originals were based on? We’re they cheap motorcycle helmets with “stuff” attached to them or old surplus military stuff maybe?

I was just looking at some new helicopter helmets (about $1500) but they certainly had the X-wing vibe... it got me thinking since most of the Star Wars stuff was made from cast-off home appliances.

Helmet is based on the U.S.Navy APH-6DL. The red rectangles are the remnants of the oxygen mask receivers. I am not sure if a mold was pulled from this helmet and it was cast in fiber glass. It could also have been used as a plug for a vacu-form like the storm trooper helmets. Obviously the mohawk was added also. Original earphones would have been used with different mounting.
If you could find one the cost would be about $300 to $500. And then there is the work to do the to cast or vacu-form.

Last edited:
The helmets were made at SDS, a vac-forming studio so they will have probably done vac-form pulls direct from a real helmet. The mohawk down the centre hides the join in the halves.

The chin cups were probably moulded from a motorcycle helmet though. That style was common in the '70s.

The microphones in ANH were Racal Minilite military in-ear headsets worn under the helmets: the same were used by Han Solo and Rebel flight controllers. In later movies these had been replaced by tubes fastened to the helmets.

Original Screen-Used X/Y-Wing Rebel Pilot Helmets on StarWarsHelmets.com.

I think I’ve seen the headsets you mention. Probably while working details for my Han outfit. I would like to get one, to use with both, although I think I may do a Poe x-wing flight suit before I do a Luke one.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back