X-wing Fighter 1/72 bandai on the kitchen table

equipment lift.jpegok, finished product, still goona brush on some black pastel to dirty it a bit more. The hydraulic cylinder was in my scrap box. Came from copy of a ramp cylinder to an MPC Falcon.

Ross I think I like your gantry better, and it doesn't look to big to me. No matter what, the fact you built that by hand makes it even more impressive!

And yep... that last picture is definitely a keeper!
Thanks Bill, it was a crap load of work though, but gratifying...and yeah, me too...I like mine better. Just gotta fix the ladders. I had them stuck to the base at the bottom, but they should be free at the bottom with a brace holding them parallel with the ram, about 2/3 the way down.

Thanks brother :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks my friend, it's coming along rather well, so far. Just having HR problems :lol

I feel you there. My dio is running into HR problems.. Finance is getting on me about the ever increasing cost of a $10 kit... I've spent $75 in shapeways parts just to upgrade the tiny details of this 1/350 Falcon. Totally worth it, though!

yeah, you can scratch build a lot of stuff, but figures? not so much. I think I'm going to try for Nazi Africa corp troops if there is any, there is only so many of the mountain troops one can use. A 1/350 Falcon...I thought that one was Bandai? should be pretty accurate?
I feel you there. My dio is running into HR problems.. Finance is getting on me about the ever increasing cost of a $10 kit... I've spent $75 in shapeways parts just to upgrade the tiny details of this 1/350 Falcon. Totally worth it, though!

yeah, you can scratch build a lot of stuff, but figures? not so much. I think I'm going to try for Nazi Africa corp troops if there is any, there is only so many of the mountain troops one can use. A 1/350 Falcon...I thought that one was Bandai? should be pretty accurate?

It is the Bandai 1/350. It is very accurate, but it is based on the TFA/TLJ Falcon. One of the members of this forum has built some great stuff that makes it more screen accurate with the ANH version. Plus, I wanted the cockpit visible, it's going to have turret wells, the ramp down, landing gear, lights... you know, the works...lol

I'm actually modeling figures for it out of sculpey clay... So far I have Jabba done, but need to paint him. Gotta love the modeling world!

I had considered the sculpting thing for Leia and the Taun, but base troops in numbers and different poses...not happening. Found some other Germans on parade grounds, standing, marching, etc, that will help. I just don't get why there isn't more specific stuff out there. Sounds like you got a good handle on your project though. Say...I saw some pretty tiny HO railroad figures at the hobby shop, could you paint those to work? but is that the correct size?
It is the Bandai 1/350. It is very accurate, but it is based on the TFA/TLJ Falcon. One of the members of this forum has built some great stuff that makes it more screen accurate with the ANH version. Plus, I wanted the cockpit visible, it's going to have turret wells, the ramp down, landing gear, lights... you know, the works...lol

I'm actually modeling figures for it out of sculpey clay... So far I have Jabba done, but need to paint him. Gotta love the modeling world!

I had considered the sculpting thing for Leia and the Taun, but base troops in numbers and different poses...not happening. Found some other Germans on parade grounds, standing, marching, etc, that will help. I just don't get why there isn't more specific stuff out there. Sounds like you got a good handle on your project though. Say...I saw some pretty tiny HO railroad figures at the hobby shop, could you paint those to work? but is that the correct size?

I did find these:

https://northstarmodels.com/product/1350-soviet-navy-1942-1950-figures-in-working-position-type-1-2/

Something to consider, for sure.

Huh, another link blocked by my employer network, that gets old. I found a couple of german tank crew sets, most with the proper head gear, but...out of stock. have to wait for an email. I suppose I really don't need THAT many people, but the more different figures doing different stuff, the more interesting the dio will be. I used a good portion of what I have, probably 25%, just on that repair scene. I need lots and lots of folks in this.

Huh, another link blocked by my employer network, that gets old. I found a couple of german tank crew sets, most with the proper head gear, but...out of stock. have to wait for an email. I suppose I really don't need THAT many people, but the more different figures doing different stuff, the more interesting the dio will be. I used a good portion of what I have, probably 25%, just on that repair scene. I need lots and lots of folks in this.

That's where 3d modeling skills and 3d printer come in handy... I'll be getting one here sometime soon. Just need to brush up on some 3d modeling skills.

yeah, for sure. Bill (wbh64) got one and starting doing stuff. I'm sure I'll be following before too long. Gonna see what he does with it. I guess finding print files and downloading is pretty easy, at least he makes it sound so. When it comes to actually designing, I think he's on that path, I still know dick about it. But, like you guys say, for what I've spent on Shapeways stuff, it's worth the investment in time and money.
That's where 3d modeling skills and 3d printer come in handy... I'll be getting one here sometime soon. Just need to brush up on some 3d modeling skills.

- - - Updated - - -

oops, that's "whb64" :facepalm

hey you guys...is there a way to change the name of a thread? This "Bandai Xwing" thing has evolved into a bigger thing, obviously.

hey you guys...is there a way to change the name of a thread? This "Bandai Xwing" thing has evolved into a bigger thing, obviously.
Not sure if this is like other forums I been on, but check the first post you made, You may be able to change the title from there. if you edit that post.

My apologies if I hijacked your thread, I didn't mean to change the subject or direction.

Hijacked?? nah dude, not at all. I'm not bothered by others posting stuff here, I like it. Just because I started a thread doesn't mean it mine. Now if someone was to start posting things about hippos in tue tue's ballet dancing that might be annoying but, we're all good here brother :thumbsup thanks for the suggestion on the thread title, I'll check it out :thumbsup
Not sure if this is like other forums I been on, but check the first post you made, You may be able to change the title from there. if you edit that post.

My apologies if I hijacked your thread, I didn't mean to change the subject or direction.

Those posed figures you’ve painted up and used look so appropriate and very cool ( pun intended ! ) Ross .
The ancillary components - tool box and scissor lift platform are superb :p

Got a ( probably stupid ) question mate ( please ignore if it’s such ) ... this is taking place in Echo Base so there’d be ice / snow on the ground - having never actually been in snow though , I’m guessing it’d be pretty difficult to move heavy equipment around on it if ( relatively ) small wheels were used ... unless they’re going to be situated on some type of smooth-ish surface - floor mats / pads ?

However , this being set in the SW universe , maybe conventional wheels aren’t needed , and heavy ( looking ) machinery have repulsors ( underneath ) keeping them levitated off any type of uneven surface / floor ? ... just a thought ;) . Either way , I’m loving these additions ... the overall build really ... please keep sharing !

:cheersGed

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back