X-wing Fighter 1/72 bandai on the kitchen table

Hey Ross I pulled the trigger and bought a 3D SLA Resin printer :)

Let's have some fun! I always wanted to do a hanger diorama too and your thread really got me excited about how good and cool this can look. If you find any good/cool stls for your display let me know and I'll try to print them since I will want those items too. We can kinda both learn the ins and out at the same time :)

I'll tell you this, I put out a thread on Shapeways forum to see if any designers would take up the task of doing a Hoth Leia and Taun-tauns with and without rider...got a reply over the weekend, dude said they do it for 400 bucks! :eek needless to say, that ain't gonna happen!

$400 for designing a Hoth Leia + Taun-tauns of 2 versions?

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk Pro

Given the complexity of the work involved, especially if they work from scratch, $400 is peanuts. What would that be hourly?

Given the complexity of the work involved, especially if they work from scratch, $400 is peanuts. What would that be hourly?

Guys my English is not quite good so I am not sure how people thought about the $400 price. But I think peanuts here means “so little”, right?

According to my experience, designing models costs a lot often.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk Pro

wow, that's cool...so tell me, is it as simple as downloading a file, then loading it into your SLA, set the scale and press the green button?
Looky what I found...
Let me know how the Shapeways gantry looks when you get it. If you're not happy with it I'll be rescaling this to 1/72 for myself and I can shoot one your way if the print comes out. With the SLA resin printer there won't be any issue with the size or fine detail.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1900333

well to me it seemed a bit steep. I've since had another vendor offer to do the Leia for me but I think he was doing it for something else anyway...and he said 10 to 15 dollars. Another source who already developed a design for the Taun Taun is a bit expensive at 45 dollars. So yeah, 400 was out of the question. I'd have sculpted my own from a block first...I mean, I paid 400 for the PG, right?
Guys my English is not quite good so I am not sure how people thought about the $400 price. But I think peanuts here means “so little”, right?

According to my experience, designing models costs a lot often.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk Pro

well to me it seemed a bit steep. I've since had another vendor offer to do the Leia for me but I think he was doing it for something else anyway...and he said 10 to 15 dollars. Another source who already developed a design for the Taun Taun is a bit expensive at 45 dollars. So yeah, 400 was out of the question. I'd have sculpted my own from a block first...I mean, I paid 400 for the PG, right?

Thank you! Though I hope to ask again “What is PG?”, but the only thing now I can say is, “Can you introduce the other vendor to me?” I have a lot of models to do and hope to print them in a large scale!

PG is Bandai "perfect grade" 1/72 Millennium Falcon. the going rate is 400 bucks. I had some consignment credit at my hobby shop though, so I only had to shell out about 150 cash. The one designer is Anyuta 3D, they seem enthusiastic and very helpful and communicate extremely well and quickly. you can probably google them. They sent me photo examples of their work, being held in display fashion by what looked to be an insanely hot eastern euro girl, and their logo is a girl with pigtails...who knows, perhaps she is the actual vendor? Anyway, they're on Shapeways as well and have a lot of very nice stuff.
Thank you! Though I hope to ask again “What is PG?”, but the only thing now I can say is, “Can you introduce the other vendor to me?” I have a lot of models to do and hope to print them in a large scale!

wow, that's cool...so tell me, is it as simple as downloading a file, then loading it into your SLA, set the scale and press the green button?
I'm new in all this too, but from the videos there is a little work as far as sizing and supports but the Anycubic Photon is pretty straight forward. There is more work as far as cleanup after the print as compared to PLA printing- such as you need to wash the part in alcohol and then let it cure under UV.

I thought so, I'll have to find some you-tubes to get a better basic understanding of how it all works. Thanks Bill :thumbsup
I'm new in all this too, but from the videos there is a little work as far as sizing and supports but the Anycubic Photon is pretty straight forward. There is more work as far as cleanup after the print as compared to PLA printing- such as you need to wash the part in alcohol and then let it cure under UV.

Bill,
I watched a youtube of that, seems pretty good, the size is awesome and the guy said it was only 435 bucks? what did you pony up for yours? heck man, I may have to jump in on this as well...with your guidance of course? [:confusedQUOTE=whb64;4455139]I'm new in all this too, but from the videos there is a little work as far as sizing and supports but the Anycubic Photon is pretty straight forward. There is more work as far as cleanup after the print as compared to PLA printing- such as you need to wash the part in alcohol and then let it cure under UV.[/QUOTE]

Bill,
I watched a youtube of that, seems pretty good, the size is awesome and the guy said it was only 435 bucks? what did you pony up for yours? heck man, I may have to jump in on this as well...with your guidance of course?
:confused

Mine was $539 with shipping on Amazon. I read some horror stories about Gearbest and some of the other 3D printer sellers. Some people have had no issues with shipping, others had a nightmare. Amazon has a great return policy too so I felt safe going through them. I ordered mine Wednesday or Thursday and it's supposed to be here Monday. I also got a UV curing station for $26

Did you get your gantry from Shapeways yet?

Yeah, I saw that price there too, I guess this dude on youtube got a deal somewhere.
:confused

Mine was $539 with shipping on Amazon. I read some horror stories about Gearbest and some of the other 3D printer sellers. Some people have had no issues with shipping, others had a nightmare. Amazon has a great return policy too so I felt safe going through them. I ordered mine Wednesday or Thursday and it's supposed to be here Monday. I also got a UV curing station for $26

Did you get your gantry from Shapeways yet?

gantry1.jpeggantry2.jpeggantry3.jpeggantry4.jpeggantry5.jpeggantry6.jpeggantry7.jpeggantry8.jpeggo a few rounds with this.jpgyeah, I did get it yesterday, I guess I built mine a tad too big, but I was going off of pictures. seems pretty detailed, the railing is bowed in at the center so I'll have to see what I can do to correct it. Could always complain to Shaeways about it, they'll send another one no charge...they done it before with broken and defectives, they're pretty good about that.
also got my equipment lift almost done, just got to build a hydraulic cylinder for it. it even works up and down, but I'm going to glue it fixed in one position when done. thought that last pic was another one of the lift...oops, but its there now...enjoy :lol:thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

that guy had several printers, he probably gets the wholesale deals
That may be from Gearbest

Ross I think I like your gantry better, and it doesn't look to big to me. No matter what, the fact you built that by hand makes it even more impressive!

And yep... that last picture is definitely a keeper!

I presume to design and print 2 figures in 1/72 scale...no way that was ever gonna happen
What’s the $400 for? For the model printed only or for the whole design itself?

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back