X-com 2

The last one was pretty good. I just hope they stop making the maps feel like multiplayer maps. A few of the UFOs were obviously made for multiplayer as well. I also hope they brought back the ability to aim at anything, like to blow a hole in a wall. That seemed dumb they removed that in the last game.

I agree, i'm hoping it brings back more of the old school features, it looks like a cross from terror from the deep and apocalypse, i love the look of the Snakemen though.

I really enjoyed the last one, especially with the DLC. The full game has a bunch of really fun content now. I'll agree that the combat was a bit more simplistic, but having also played Xenonauts, I'll say that I think X-Com has a better balance for a wider audience. Xenonauts is more for the niche gamers who want to have to micromanage their troops. Both are good, but I suspect X-Com is more broadly appealing.

It looks like Firaxus might have gotten more money to work with this time, i know for Enemy Within they weren't even given enough for new animation at the start and end of the game.

I played the last one on the Xbox no less and really enjoyed it (didn't think I would but the controls were not bad at all). I've played every Xcom back to the original and they will have my money again...cant wait.

While not as good as the originals they've proven that the turn based system still works, which i love because between this and turn based RPGs on kickstarter doing well it proves that the genres aren't dead. Now if more JRPGs would come over like in the old days.

While not as good as the originals they've proven that the turn based system still works, which i love because between this and turn based RPGs on kickstarter doing well it proves that the genres aren't dead. Now if more JRPGs would come over like in the old days.

What are some of this turn based RPG's from kickstarter? are they more like Civilization or like Xcom?

I remember trying a police turn based game, I think it was called SWAT back in the day. It wasn't as good as Xcom but still enjoyed it enough. Always looking for more turn based games like them.

There was Wasteland which is like the original Fallouts, Bard's Quest 4 is taking backers now, There's been 3 Shadowrun games backed. Most of them are party based where each character you control gets a turn to attack and whatnot. I never played Civilization, i always thought it was a real time strategy game like Command and Conquer.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv
All the successful ones are on steam and i'm pretty sure gog.com so there's no DRM and you can play them offline. I hate steam so i go with DRM free all the way.

What are some of this turn based RPG's from kickstarter? are they more like Civilization or like Xcom?

There is also The Banner Saga and the team responsible for the acclaimed Final Fantasy Tactics is doing their own kickstarter game in the same style called Unsung Story.

I remember trying a police turn based game, I think it was called SWAT back in the day. It wasn't as good as Xcom but still enjoyed it enough. Always looking for more turn based games like them.

Minor point: Civilization isn't a turn-based RPG, nor is XCom (although the new XCom games have some minor RPG-esque character building -- moreso than the original). Those games are more turn-based strategy.

There was Wasteland which is like the original Fallouts, Bard's Quest 4 is taking backers now, There's been 3 Shadowrun games backed. Most of them are party based where each character you control gets a turn to attack and whatnot. I never played Civilization, i always thought it was a real time strategy game like Command and Conquer.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv
All the successful ones are on steam and i'm pretty sure gog.com so there's no DRM and you can play them offline. I hate steam so i go with DRM free all the way.

The first Shadowrun game was terrific, and there's been some solid fan-made content, too, including full campaigns. I haven't played Dragonfall or Hong Kong yet. That said, there's also Boston Lockdown, but I've heard pretty mediocre reviews of that one. It might improve down the road, but right now, it's not great from what I hear.

There was, I think, also Space Hulk, but that may have just been a straight commercial release. And there was Jagged Alliance: Flashback, which got panned by old-school Jagged Alliance fans.

And speaking of games on GOG, most of the best old school turn-based games (RPG and strategy) are available on it. Although Steam has a bunch of them, too, now.

There is also The Banner Saga and the team responsible for the acclaimed Final Fantasy Tactics is doing their own kickstarter game in the same style called Unsung Story.

Banner Saga is excellent, if someone limited in the scope of the game. They're doing a second one of those, too.

And I think the guy who designed Civ 4 is making his own civ-like game through kickstarter.

As for other solid turn-based games, here are my recommendations:

- Xenonauts (the spiritual successor to old-school Xcom -- it's way, way, more detailed and difficult than the new Xcom game)
- Shadowrun
- Banner Saga
- Space Hulk (a straight translation of the board game) There's also Space Hulk Ascension, which is the more PC-gamed version of Space Hulk (which I hear is so-so). One point here: the company that made these games and Jagged Alliance: Flashback has basically gone out of business and is providing minimal support for the games now. So, caveat emptor.
- Warhammer 40K: Armageddon (which is supposed to be like Panzer General and 40K Epic, kinda. I haven't played it though.)
- Blood Bowl (which, once you learn how to play, is actually pretty fun)

A bunch of these weren't kickstarters, but they're all pretty good (at least the ones I've played).

I actually got Boston Lockdown, i haven't tried it yet. A lot of the reviews i got complained about needing a Steam account to play as the game is tied to steam even when it's on the disc.

I heard it was more a problem with a real lack of depth, like, combat being too simplistic and the spellcasting stuff being basically weak as hell.

I'm surprised anyone else got the rights to make a Shadowrun game with Harebrained Schemes doing so well with them.

Boston Lockdown has been getting major patches almost every week since it was released. I just downloaded another big update for it today, so they are steadily ironing out the issues with it.

Boston Lockdown has been getting major patches almost every week since it was released. I just downloaded another big update for it today, so they are steadily ironing out the issues with it.

That's fine. Maybe I'll check back in 6 months and see where it is then. For now, though, I'm saving my cash.

This is great news! I love the X-com series and I have to admit that Enemy Unknown is my favorite. The preview for the new one looks pretty promising, I really missed the Snake Men in the last one, good to see them making an appearance in XCom2.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back