WTB Plasti-kote Gold in the US

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Nope, this is not a Junkyard thread, just an inquiry. :p
So I've got some mixed info and was hoping you guys could straighten me out. I've seen the results of the Plasti-kote gold chrome and it looks fantastic. But as I understand it, is it only available in the US (if so,where?) or only overseas?

How about here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KQ0B...ance&n=15684181
B0002KQ0B6.01-ADG953YR6NRBF._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I hope that helps.

Originally posted by kurtyboy+Jan 24 2006, 06:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ Jan 24 2006, 06:50 PM)</div>
That is not the paint that TK409 used on his C3P0. Its from the 'Brilliant Metallic' range.

http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Site/products...?PRODUCT_ID=46#

<!--QuoteBegin-propsculptor
@Jan 24 2006, 06:50 AM
How about here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KQ0B...ance&n=15684181
B0002KQ0B6.01-ADG953YR6NRBF._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I hope that helps.
[snapback]1166543[/snapback]​
[snapback]1166885[/snapback]​
[/b]
we have a great chrome spray here from colour- rite (think thats how its spelt?) got a can from the local hobbycraft shop, what a finish. you can dirty down over it with watery black acrylic and still polish it to reveal a good shine underneath, I guess they do a gold too, anybody else in the UK used this?

Doug

Originally posted by armourerdoug@Jan 24 2006, 02:05 PM
we have a great chrome spray here from colour- rite (think thats how its spelt?) got a can from the local hobbycraft shop, what a finish. you can dirty down over it with watery black acrylic and still polish it to reveal a good shine underneath, I guess they do a gold too, anybody else in the UK used this?

Doug
[snapback]1166896[/snapback]​

Yeah, see the thing is, the Euro guys get can get very nice chrome paint out of a can wherever they want. The original question being, is Plasti-kote Brilliant Metallic available in the US? Plasti-kote Brilliant Metallic is NOT available in the US - only the flat gold, plain metallic, which is definitely not the same thing. I spoke specifically to both of Plasti-kote's US and Euro reps. You cannot get it in the US, and they won't send it to you. Stores won't ship it either. The ONLY way to get it is to get a buddy in the UK to send it to you. Unfortunate, but cheaper than metalizing if that's all you can afford.

Originally posted by Trooper TK409@Mar 23 2006, 01:45 PM
Yeah, see the thing is, the Euro guys get can get very nice chrome paint out of a can wherever they want. The original question being, is Plasti-kote Brilliant Metallic available in the US? Plasti-kote Brilliant Metallic is NOT available in the US - only the flat gold, plain metallic, which is definitely not the same thing. I spoke specifically to both of Plasti-kote's US and Euro reps. You cannot get it in the US, and they won't send it to you. Stores won't ship it either. The ONLY way to get it is to get a buddy in the UK to send it to you. Unfortunate, but cheaper than metalizing if that's all you can afford.
[snapback]1211764[/snapback]​

Did they say why you can't get it in the US?

No, and here's how it went:

TK409: Is this paint available in the US?
Rep: It's available in the UK
TK409: Right, so can I get it in the US?
Rep: No, it's available in the UK
TK409: OK, so can you send it to me in the US?
Rep: We sell it only in the UK.
TK409: Understood, so can you ship it to me?
Rep: No.
TK409: So, how does a person in the USA get this paint?
Rep: You can't because it's available in the UK.
TK409: SO, there's no way for me to purchase this paint, ever, because I live in the US?
Rep: It's available in the UK.
TK409: ...and unavailable to anyone in the US?
Rep: It's not available in the US, it's available in the UK.
TK409: Wow, because I know a ton of guys that would like to buy it, but they're in the US.
Rep: .......
TK409: and that would mean.... we can't get it.... ever
Rep: it's not available in the US, because it's only available in the UK.
TK409: **beats head with can of stupid US-made spray paint that only sprays flat-gold while claiming the color is "like real gold chrome.", and has a chrome lid.**

Originally posted by Trooper TK409@Mar 23 2006, 04:14 PM

TK409:   Is this paint available in the US?
Rep:   It's available in the UK
TK409:   Right, so can I get it in the US?
Rep:    No, it's available in the UK
TK409:    OK, so can you send it to me in the US?
Rep:    We sell it only in the UK.
TK409:    Understood, so can you ship it to me?
Rep:    No.
TK409:    So, how does a person in the USA get this paint?
Rep:    You can't because it's available in the UK.
TK409:    SO, there's no way for me to purchase this paint, ever, because I live in the US?
Rep:    It's available in the UK.
TK409:  ...and unavailable to anyone in the US?
Rep:    It's not available in the US, it's available in the UK.
TK409:   Wow, because I know a ton of guys that would like to buy it, but they're in the US.
Rep:  .......
TK409:     and that would mean.... we can't get it.... ever
TK409:    **beats head with can of stupid US-made spray paint that only sprays flat-gold while claiming the color is "like real gold chrome.", and has a chrome lid.**
[snapback]1211834[/snapback]​

I've always said stupidity should be painful...Maybe the rep had brain damage from huffing paint fumes. Guess I won't be getting any Plasticoat paint for my Threepio. :cry I can't imagine it would be because of toxicity or environmental reasons, the paint you can get at the local Advance or Autozone has tolulene, xylene, and everything else in it. I doubt if the stuff they sell in the UK is any more hazardous. :unsure

Originally posted by Trooper TK409@Mar 23 2006, 03:14 PM

TK409:  Is this paint available in the US?
Rep:  It's available in the UK
TK409:  Right, so can I get it in the US?
Rep:    No, it's available in the UK
TK409:    OK, so can you send it to me in the US?
Rep:    We sell it only in the UK.
TK409:    Understood, so can you ship it to me?
Rep:    No.
TK409:    So, how does a person in the USA get this paint?
Rep:    You can't because it's available in the UK.
TK409:    SO, there's no way for me to purchase this paint, ever, because I live in the US?
Rep:    It's available in the UK.
TK409:  ...and unavailable to anyone in the US?
Rep:    It's not available in the US, it's available in the UK.
TK409:  Wow, because I know a ton of guys that would like to buy it, but they're in the US.
Rep:  .......
TK409:    and that would mean.... we can't get it.... ever
TK409:    **beats head with can of stupid US-made spray paint that only sprays flat-gold while claiming the color is "like real gold chrome.", and has a chrome lid.**
[snapback]1211834[/snapback]​

:lol this is one of the funniest posts I've read in a week. I'm sure they love they're job :lol

that would be me.

Sorry its taking so long chris, i havent forgot you, just been super busy.

If anyone wants me to ship some over, send me a pm but i warn everyone, its hit and miss with customs>

might be wrong, but I remember a few years ago about a ban on selling certain "metallic" paints(in spray cans) here in the U.S. , I think this is the same time that they started to I.D. anyone who was buying spray paint. It seems that young children and street people would spray the metallic gold paint into a lunch bag and "huff" it, this would get them extremely high, causing severe brain damage, paralysis, and sometimes death. So a parent came home found their kid dead with metallic gold paint around their mouth and they inturn started an all out and out crusade to remove chromed metallic spay paints from the market place. Wah-lah we can no longer buy the chromed metallic spray paints in a can, and the kids have to go and inhale some other toxic fumes, like perhaps resins, superglue or bondo, other thing that seriously can pose a serious threat to their health.....

seriously I do remember chromed spray paint be "banned" this way does anyone else ?

Kell

I buy metallic paint all the time here so I'm not sureh ow true this story is. It seems like this brand of metallic paint is a lot more realistic looking when used than what is offered here though.

Is there any sort of metallic Fusion paint?

It looks fantastic when it eventually dries, which can take months........... not kidding.

I've found that if you use ordinary acrylic gold auto paint and then a final thin coat of Plasti Cote Brilliant Metallic you get the same brilliant effect and it dries properly in approx 12 hours.

It's available at B&Q in the UK - it shouldn't be on any restricted list for export as long as it's surface - I don't know about airmail, I don't think you can airmail pressurised containers.

Originally posted by Blad@Mar 24 2006, 10:47 PM
It's available at B&Q in the UK - it shouldn't be on any restricted list for export as long as it's surface - I don't know about airmail, I don't think you can airmail pressurised containers.

UK Royal Mail do not allow aerosols of any kind with the only exception of inhalers 50ml or under to be posted.

No mention to whether that applies to airmail, surface or both..

It took only 10 days to get from the UK to the US. I've received the paint twice now, from separate friends without any trouble.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back