Wow, the SAW franchise is just awful (horror marathon rant)

I've got to go with the first Phantasm. I watch it every Halloween. It carries a very personal memory for me.

First time I saw it was at the local drive-in. I was 15 and me and a buddy saw it, yet there were only about three cars in the whole place. We were kind of spooked by it and for some reason we stayed until after the credits. By then we were the only ones there and it was after midnight. Lo and behold my car would not start. The small town we lived in was completely deserted at that time of night.

There was a factory a few blocks away and he said his uncle was the night watchman there and he would go get him. Several minutes after he left I got the car started and drove over to the empty factory. There was an open shipping bay and I went in to look for him. This place was HUGE and completely deserted. I walked and walked and walked trying to find somebody--all the while hollering for my friend, but to no avail.

I was all alone in this dark spooky place, and all the machinery was going but no one was there. In my head I started hearing "Boy!" and I got really scared imagining that the silver sphere was going to fly around a corner any minute! After awhile I decided I better get the hell out of this place, but it was so huge I could not find an exit! I must've run for awhile through the maze of corridors, all the while working myself into a pretty good sized panic! I mean, I got REALLY scared!!

After awhile I finally saw an exit sign and I went through it. Of course that set off an alarm and lights and sirens started blaring!! I knew I was so screwed, but I also knew that I hadn't really done anything wrong, so I sat down on the curb and waited for the cops to show up. They showed up just about the same time my buddy and his uncle came out the exit door.

We explained everything and the uncle backed up our story to the cops so everything turned out okay, but I sure was shaken up...That is a night I will never forget!! I watch Phantasm every year to commemorate it.

Since we're talking horror franchises with a solid first film and crap sequels, I don't know anyone else feels about this, but I'm a huge fan of the first Candyman. I think of all horror movies, it is one of the most artfully filmed movies in that genre. Some of the story doesn't carry water but its visuals more than make up for it, I think.

LOVE this movie.

Since it's October, I binge watched the series!
My ranking would go:

Saw 3
Saw 2
Saw 1
Saw 4
Saw 7
Saw 5
Saw 6

Bear in mind however that I only actually 'like' the first 3. The rest were all beating the dead horse for more money. I liked the concept of part 4 (finding a whole new tape in Jigsaw's corpse) but the movie as a whole wasn't anything to write home about.

I'll admit me and my best friend saw each and every one opening night at the theatre though! These movies were fun with a huge audience and the Halloween spirit, but not much else unfortunately

Last edited by a moderator:
I just watched "The Conjuring" the other night and was shocked at how good it actually was! No swearing, no gore, no torture. Just pure scares! I'm in my 30's and it scared the crap outta me. Was surprised to find out it was the same director as Saw. How about that?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back