Woven Fiberglass cloth application?

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by joeyiswhammo, Apr 29, 2012.

1. joeyiswhammo

joeyiswhammo New Member

Hey guys

Im currently working on a replica N7 helmet from the game Mass Effect, I am using the pepakura method to begin.

I know it seems the battle hardened method of using resin then using bondo and sandingx4 then painting seems to be the most popular way. My friend suggested that I just use resin and woven fiberglass cloth after a few layers of resin to achieve the carbonfiber imitation look I am going for? Would using say something like this Black Fiberglass : Fiberglass : Chopped Strand Mat : Aerospace : E-Glass : Surfacing : Boating : Black : Gun Roving along with many coats of resin with sanding and then covering it with clearcoast and sanding be a workable solution? Sorry for my english but any help would be awesome.
    thanks
    joey

2. joeyiswhammo

joeyiswhammo New Member

Anyone? Someones gotta know something about this haha!

thabumpzzzz

3. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Using Fiberglass on the outside, is that what you are wanting to try? Because if it is, That's a bad idea...............You'll lose all the nice crisp lines and detail.Also, Fiberglass is a PAIN to sand. Just go the bondo route....as the bondo is curing us some kind of tool to engrave the pattern into the surface.