Wookie lightsaber

wow!
definitely interesting!
So nive design,and material is so nice,I would make a saber from wood,because I love wood as horn or other organic materials,but didn't know it "exists" in star wars univers!
would be possible in macassar or other exotic wood with grain contrast.
Will make one!!!!!!!!

checked closer to the episode,and took informations.
Already asked for a 2"x 15" blank,even I thin 12" could be enough.
Then,about lathe,there would be several ways.

one is quite complicated,but offers room for complete internal elements,and electrocnics.
-rounding the external shape,mandrel one side and tailstock on other side,or,simply,two tailstocks,one in the mandrel....
Once it is rounded,put it in the mandrel,and then drilling,I suppose would be made in two times,because 15" is a long piece of wood,same problem for diameter enlarging...would have to care about centering,and weakness of wood,especially in a mandrel,maybe will have to drill and give final diameter immediately,then put a partial metal core.
Once drilling and internal lathing is achieved,putting a solid part of metal inside,of course,longer than the wood,would probably bet the best way,because it will get stronger,and easier to use.
Then the wood is "locked" using a bolt,maybe at the future activation button place for example...
would be easy to give final shape,no wood compression or stress using a metal core,to minimise the cracks,especially with thin walled body...standart wood lathing toold,used by hand,"freeform"work,maybe create the "critical areas with metalworking tool with measurments,to know which is critical diameter...

Other is simplier,available with a classical wood machine and classical wood tools:
- beginning with external shape and creating 2 metal parts,but would need a plain lightsaber or would mean hand drilling,I think it's not a good idea,especially if electronics is prefered.
possible to begin with "pommel" drilling on lathe machine,then have a "small" tailstock that could go inside,but would need external metal shield to rotect the woold,and would mean hand finish.

Just saw this episode last night and my first thought was "I want one!" Followed closely by "How on God's green earth would I build that?"

I'm not sure I would be too concerned with trying to match the grain to the cartoon, other than to try and match the spirit of the timber.

Two thoughts:
1. Is Gungi going to rebuild his lightsaber when he grows up?
2. This is a very steampunk lightsaber.

Just saying...

What is funny is that I bought 2" diameter aluminum,and the rod is big enough for something large,then I was thinking about a "large" specie that would have a 130% scaled saber.
At the firts time I was thinking about a feeorin.
But I'm quite sure in gungi build a adult saber it would be different,si it's not a very good idea to make a bigger version of the saber,I thin it will be as long as a standart saber and maybe a little bit larger,I still don't know...

You could cut a metal piece, and use it like a shroud for the emitter. Kind of like a piece of armor if you will. So you could use a Brazillian hardwood or what ever (I don't have much knowledge on types of wood) for the base of the hilt, and add metal parts.

from the two wood posted above me i would have gone with Zebra wood (1) much thinner lines suit the style of wood on the lightsabre!

Anyone seen the one up on custom saber shop? He took a pretty good shot at it, although it's not quite there, think there's some room for improvement. I'd post the link, not sure if that's allowed or not though. :p

Long ago when I was in wood shop class. We used to use a torch on wood to darken and raise the wood grain. That might help the look you desire prior to staining the wood.

I received two blanks yesterday,won't need any trick to look good.
I have to finish other work before,but already look after the tools for drilling it and giving it final shape,of course I will post pics of the final result.
I think the hardest part will be the small retainer,made from a curved sheet of metal.
Engravings would be quite difficult too,because it's not easy to see them on the picture.

Today I began with the wookie lightsaber.

img_0411.jpg

I made a 2" diameter rod,drilled to 1"1/4 to put a aluminum tubing inside for electronics.

The light rod was quite easy,perfect measurments,inside and outside.
The dark one was oily,and a little bit too small for outside,so,it's not as good as the other one,but the wood is nice,I will drill to 1"3/8 inside.
I will use a aluminum rod for the next step,the handle final shape.
I think the most difficult part will be the front aluminum piece,with diagonal cut,because I will have to make the cut and then give the shape,wont be easy.

research Lowbocca son or nephew (was one in one book another in another) of Chewbacca..after a quick google never mind i like the wood of the cw padawan over the metal hilt of lowbacca

Any updates on this build? I'd like to do a wood saber at some point, though I've got a pretty good list of projects to work through first. Doesn't mean I can't sketch/plan! I'm interested to see what works and what doesn't for this design.

img_3812.jpg

here is m first attempt.
photo is from today 8 AM
It's a wookie saber,but not exactly the same as Gungi,it's a test.
The definite gungi saber will be much more difficult,especially the metallic front parts...
I have finished,and weathered the wood,for a ancient time look.
However the aluminum emitter doesn't meet my wishes,so I will do it again.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back