Wondercon 2022

gundammrw

Although information is still sparse and with the date right around the corner, still not sure if it will happen 100% or not but wanted to see if anyone was planning to attend this year?

I got the 3-day pass as soon as I got the email saying they were available.

There was the deal about resetting your password, seems that nobody's old passwords will work anymore? Mine didn't.

Got my tickets today. Honestly the schedule doesn't look at that exciting.

I'm curious if they actually enforce the policy that you can't wear a helmet or mask over your face covering. They didn't do it at Comic-con last year even though the same policy was in place. Back then I wore a costume to comply with it. I saw Deadpools, spidermen etc wearing their costume masks, Im guessing security etc just didn't want to bother with it

I got my tickets in the mail on Friday!

I'm super excited, first out of state convention in 2 years!

Got my tickets today. Honestly the schedule doesn't look at that exciting.

I'm curious if they actually enforce the policy that you can't wear a helmet or mask over your face covering. They didn't do it at Comic-con last year even though the same policy was in place. Back then I wore a costume to comply with it. I saw Deadpools, spidermen etc wearing their costume masks, Im guessing security etc just didn't want to bother with it
I can imagine they will have people with helmets/masks remove them at the security checkpoints to verify that they have a form fitting face mask on, then they can put them back on once they've passed through.

Fingers crossed this is the case, I would be a little bummed if I wasn't able to wear a helmet, since half of my cosplays are helmeted characters.

I thought April 1st the indoor mask thing was over?
That is just to end of state REQUIRED mask mandates. Meaning locations and events being forced to do it regardless of their own policy. Wondercon, and any large event for that matter, can still require masks at their discretion which Wondercon has elected to do.

I got my tickets in the mail on Friday!

I'm super excited, first out of state convention in 2 years!

I can imagine they will have people with helmets/masks remove them at the security checkpoints to verify that they have a form fitting face mask on, then they can put them back on once they've passed through.

Fingers crossed this is the case, I would be a little bummed if I wasn't able to wear a helmet, since half of my cosplays are helmeted characters.
That is my hope, as it is what Star Wars Celebration will be doing. However you never know. Im just planning to show up at the gate with costume masks/helmets off and then once past the gate putting it on. I imagine I may get asked to remove to verify face covering underneath from time to time but hopefully they dont go full "nothing covering face mask!" mode.

In case there are those who may be interesting in the various cosplay meetups visit https://sdccblog.com/2022/03/wondercon-anaheim-2022-offsites-photoshoots/

FRIDAY APRIL 1st
Spider-Man/Spider-Verse Meetup

Time: 1-2pm
Details: Spider-Verse Cosplay Meetup/Photoshoot at WonderCon 2022

SATURDAY APRIL 2nd
Marvel Cosplay Meetup

Time: 2pm-3pm
Details: https://www.facebook.com/events/559914561665529/

Assassin's Creed Cosplay Meetup
Time: 12-2pm
Details: https://www.facebook.com/events/541863113394265

Anime Cosplay Meetup
Details: WonderCon 2022 anime meet up and group photo shoot

GI Joe and Hasbro Characters
Time: 9am
Details: 2022 WonderCon Fan GI Joe and Hasbro Characters Shoot

Naruto Meetup
Details: 2022 WonderCon Anaheim Marvel Fan Costume Shoot

SUNDAY APRIL 3rd
DC Cosplay Meeting

Time: 1pm-2pm
Details: https://www.facebook.com/events/1442332549518519

Disney Cosplay Meetup
Time: 2pm
Details: 2022 WonderCon Disney Group Shoot

Captain America Cosplay Meetup
Time: 2pm-4pm
Details: https://www.facebook.com/events/1234340190244749/

Over 30 Cosplay Group Photoshoot
Time: 12pm-12:30pm
Details: 2022 WonderCon Over 30 Cosplay Group Shoot

Last edited:
There's a group for over 30? Is that considered old now?
Yes there's a FaceBook group and there are Over 30 Cosplay panels at various Cons.

(There are offshoots like Over 50 Cosplay and Over 60 Cosplay.)

I attend the Over 30 Cosplay panels when I can.

My philosophy is that there are plenty of great characters played by middle-aged and older actors for me to cosplay.

So what's everyone's cosplay lineup for this weekend? I'd like to keep an eye out and see if I spot any of you!

I like to switch mine around halfway through the day.

Friday: Ghostface ('96 version) / Marshmello

Saturday: Ghostbuster. I think I might stick to this one most of the day.

Sunday: H78 Michael Myers / Jacket (Payday 2)

Screenshot_20220330-082354.jpg

Last edited:
Yes there's a FaceBook group and there are Over 30 Cosplay panels at various Cons.

(There are offshoots like Over 50 Cosplay and Over 60 Cosplay.)

I attend the Over 30 Cosplay panels when I can.

My philosophy is that there are plenty of great characters played by middle-aged and older actors for me to cosplay.
DR Jones Sr

It was good talking to you today at the con!

Randy in San Diego

It was nice to be back at Wondercon after all these years. There wasn't alot going on panels or events wise but great to see others again.

Found it interesting that there clearly was a disconnect between con staff and security. Although most abided by the mask rules not everyone did nor did it seem like there was much in the way of enforcement. Same goes for the rules that didn't allow for wearing helmets or masks of facial coverings. I had a mask/helmet on all three days and never once was questioned about it. It seemed most of the staff were more concerned with the pink wristbands more than anything else. Hell even more than badges in some cases.

I did find it frustrating that the prop policy was so inconsistent though. I brought two truncheon made of PVP pipe and was told that anything that wasn't strapped down to the body was not allowed. I pointed out to the guy that the person in front of me had a sword which was peacebonded to the sheath but not to his body and was probably more deadly that my pvp pipe. The security next to him told a Kate Bishop she had to strap her bow and arrow to her body yet later in the day I saw another Kate Bishop who had not only her bow out but had an arrow with a tip (plastic) drawn back for photos.

I get the need for prop policies I just wish they were consistent and up front about it. Honestly it seemed the policy was, just do whatever unless someone stops you.

Yes I heard a number of people mention the inconsistency of the prop screening.

For myself, Dr Jones only has an umbrella, which passed without comment.

I also did Old Ben Kenobi for which I have a one-piece resin 3D printed lightsabre, no blade, no metal, no moving parts, which likewise quickly passed through screening.

I saw tons of people with metal lightsabres however.

The most ridiculous thing I heard security doing was the woman who had to zip-tie her shield to her arm!

It was nice to be back at Wondercon after all these years. There wasn't alot going on panels or events wise but great to see others again.

Found it interesting that there clearly was a disconnect between con staff and security. Although most abided by the mask rules not everyone did nor did it seem like there was much in the way of enforcement. Same goes for the rules that didn't allow for wearing helmets or masks of facial coverings. I had a mask/helmet on all three days and never once was questioned about it. It seemed most of the staff were more concerned with the pink wristbands more than anything else. Hell even more than badges in some cases.

I did find it frustrating that the prop policy was so inconsistent though. I brought two truncheon made of PVP pipe and was told that anything that wasn't strapped down to the body was not allowed. I pointed out to the guy that the person in front of me had a sword which was peacebonded to the sheath but not to his body and was probably more deadly that my pvp pipe. The security next to him told a Kate Bishop she had to strap her bow and arrow to her body yet later in the day I saw another Kate Bishop who had not only her bow out but had an arrow with a tip (plastic) drawn back for photos.

I get the need for prop policies I just wish they were consistent and up front about it. Honestly it seemed the policy was, just do whatever unless someone stops you.
I was kind of shocked with the prop policies this year! I went to WonderCon 2018-2019 and both years I had multiple cosplays that had weapons (Plastic bat, replica Graflex with blade, prop Mac-11 machine gun to name a few) that passed through security/peace bonding just fine, and I was even allowed to carry them around in hand on the convention floor.

This year on the other hand, I had to have my neutrona wand ziptied to my proton pack so it could not be drawn, then they wanted to ziptie my replica Buck 120 to my belt in my Ghostface costume, underneath my robe, which I declined as what would be the point if it wasn't even visible anymore, so I ended up going back to my hotel room to put it away. I had a few other costumes with props that I didn't even bother to bring down from the hotel room to get checked out.

I understand the idea of making the con safe but I remember a time when you'd take your weapon to get peace bonded at cons, and they would look it over and determine it wasn't a real gun or a dangerous weapon and slap a ziptie on it and you were good to go for the weekend... Gone are the days I guess :confused:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back