WIP - VOLTRON Activation Key

Kylash

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a prop I wanted to do a loooooooong time ago but im finally getting around to it. It's fairly simple to create a static prop of the key openned or closed or with the key out, but Im attempting to make this functional. The key has 2 positions. Position 1 is open with a "C" shaped piece in the middle when the key is used as a uniform badge, and 2 is the key pushed closed which reveals the key inside when the middle section is removed and the two pieces are pushed together. Here are the reference pictures Im using, I plan to make the display box as well that the keys are found in. So far i just have two resin cast pieces and a makeshift label for reference. More pics as I go.

lvkeys.jpg

IM000034.jpg
IM000035.jpg

IM000036.jpg
Im000037.jpg

:thumbsup Thats weird.. Believe it or not, I was just thinking about this item about a month ago and was wondering if it had ever been attempted... Looks great man

update, working on the key section now until i can figure out the best way to do the 3d cross on the front. Ive discovered that to make the key stick out as much as it should when the key is closed, but also to cover it up when it is open and not be open too much as to make the middle section huge, the key part actually has to move inside the piece to be covered, as the part that sticks out when its closed is longer than what is covered when it is open, if that makes sense, lol

voltronprogress2.jpg

voltronprogress1.jpg

did some fun drilling and cutting and now have the key "functional", still workign on the cross adn bits of the key obviously, but its coming together.

voltronkey3.jpg

voltronkey5.jpg

voltronkey6.jpg

voltronkey4.jpg

voltronkey7.jpg

Looks fantastic so far. Not a big Voltron nut, but I'm a fan of any hand-held props, especially ones that haven't physically existed yet... there's just something special about someone creating a replica of something that has only existed as a 2-dimensional image

thanks, any compliments on this are grateful, apparently not many people remember good old Voltron :(

Very cool, loved voltron.....

not to take this too far off topic, anyone ever do teh birdrang from battle of the planets????? the one that mark throws?????

Originally posted by damon5973@Feb 2 2006, 08:11 PM
Very cool, loved voltron.....

not to take this too far off topic, anyone ever do teh birdrang from battle of the planets????? the one that mark throws?????
[snapback]1174684[/snapback]​
I used to have one. Was short on cash a couple years back and sold it to someone here.

I loved the Castle of Lions series of Voltron. Hated the one in space though...

I'd love one of these keys.

thanks. :) right now im just waiting on a beveled cross necklace pendant to cast and mess with a bit for the 3d cross. was too hard for me to sit and sculpt something 1 inch by 1 inch with that much precision, lost my patience, lol

I guess because I had the keys that came with the toys, I just always assumed it wasn't 3D -- although I see in the one screengrab it kind of does.

Nice work (and yes, I want one.)

yeah its how cartoon props go, they look different in every shot adn do things that are impossible, like the way it closes more than it opens etc... but i figured a 3d cross would ad some depth to it instead of just a printed label.

well how about that, got the cross today, and go figure its beveled the wrong way, but i think i can use it to pour resin inand make an outward bevel. It obviously needs the longer side cut down so its more of an "X" but its starting to come together. Put the key on the other side after realizing it was on the wrong side, and flipped the colors on the graphics, not sure why i had them wrong. As far as final castings go, its looking like its gonna be almost impossible for me to cast the pieces to be functional, so it will either be open pin version or closed key version, probably both. More pics, again i apologize for my cameras lack of focus ><

voltronkey8.jpg

voltronkey9.jpg

wow yeah i need to work on this....Ive since casted the cross and cut it down to the right size. Well right now the plan is to cast a solid static prop, making it functional as a kit is just not gonna work with the parts that need to be hollow etc... so, hopefully i can get at least that mold done soon if ive got enough silicone left.

This looks awesome so far. How's progress coming on it? My wife is a huge Voltron fan and would find this very cool. Too bad you couldn't get it to be functional, that would've been sweet.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back