WIP - VOLTRON Activation Key

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Kylash, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is a prop I wanted to do a loooooooong time ago but im finally getting around to it. It's fairly simple to create a static prop of the key openned or closed or with the key out, but Im attempting to make this functional. The key has 2 positions. Position 1 is open with a "C" shaped piece in the middle when the key is used as a uniform badge, and 2 is the key pushed closed which reveals the key inside when the middle section is removed and the two pieces are pushed together. Here are the reference pictures Im using, I plan to make the display box as well that the keys are found in. So far i just have two resin cast pieces and a makeshift label for reference. More pics as I go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

:thumbsup Thats weird.. Believe it or not, I was just thinking about this item about a month ago and was wondering if it had ever been attempted... Looks great man

3. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Cool. Keep us posted.

4. Kylash

update, working on the key section now until i can figure out the best way to do the 3d cross on the front. Ive discovered that to make the key stick out as much as it should when the key is closed, but also to cover it up when it is open and not be open too much as to make the middle section huge, the key part actually has to move inside the piece to be covered, as the part that sticks out when its closed is longer than what is covered when it is open, if that makes sense, lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Kylash

bump

6. Kylash

did some fun drilling and cutting and now have the key "functional", still workign on the cross adn bits of the key obviously, but its coming together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

Looks fantastic so far. Not a big Voltron nut, but I'm a fan of any hand-held props, especially ones that haven't physically existed yet... there's just something special about someone creating a replica of something that has only existed as a 2-dimensional image

8. Kylash

thanks, any compliments on this are grateful, apparently not many people remember good old Voltron :(

9. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I miss my old die cast Voltron.

I had the lion version. Good times.

Great work on the key

10. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Hey,that's pretty cool...I used to LOVE Voltron..the Lion version :D

Steve

11. amish

amish Sr Member

That is fantastic.. Brings back some great memories.

12. damon5973

damon5973 Well-Known Member

Very cool, loved voltron.....

not to take this too far off topic, anyone ever do teh birdrang from battle of the planets????? the one that mark throws?????

13. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

I used to have one. Was short on cash a couple years back and sold it to someone here.

I loved the Castle of Lions series of Voltron. Hated the one in space though...

I'd love one of these keys.

14. JonathanEntertainment

JonathanEntertainment New Member

Awesome work man.

15. Kylash

thanks. :) right now im just waiting on a beveled cross necklace pendant to cast and mess with a bit for the 3d cross. was too hard for me to sit and sculpt something 1 inch by 1 inch with that much precision, lost my patience, lol

16. juno

juno Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I guess because I had the keys that came with the toys, I just always assumed it wasn't 3D -- although I see in the one screengrab it kind of does.

Nice work (and yes, I want one.)

17. Kylash

yeah its how cartoon props go, they look different in every shot adn do things that are impossible, like the way it closes more than it opens etc... but i figured a 3d cross would ad some depth to it instead of just a printed label.

18. Kylash

well how about that, got the cross today, and go figure its beveled the wrong way, but i think i can use it to pour resin inand make an outward bevel. It obviously needs the longer side cut down so its more of an "X" but its starting to come together. Put the key on the other side after realizing it was on the wrong side, and flipped the colors on the graphics, not sure why i had them wrong. As far as final castings go, its looking like its gonna be almost impossible for me to cast the pieces to be functional, so it will either be open pin version or closed key version, probably both. More pics, again i apologize for my cameras lack of focus ><

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Kylash

wow yeah i need to work on this....Ive since casted the cross and cut it down to the right size. Well right now the plan is to cast a solid static prop, making it functional as a kit is just not gonna work with the parts that need to be hollow etc... so, hopefully i can get at least that mold done soon if ive got enough silicone left.

20. vader2k

vader2k New Member

This looks awesome so far. How's progress coming on it? My wife is a huge Voltron fan and would find this very cool. Too bad you couldn't get it to be functional, that would've been sweet.

21. Kylash

hmm, seems some images arent working...well it was partially functional, but the logistics of it from cartoon to reality, there were a few imposibilities. Anyway, yeah i need to get back to working on this, never really finished :p

22. vader2k

vader2k New Member

Cool, I look forward to the progress.

23. Pitbull

Pitbull Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Kylash327 i know this thread is kinda old but i would be very interested if this project moved foward :thumbsup looks great for what you have so far.

Cheers,Pitbull

24. Kylash

holy dead thread Batman! yeah this is still laying around waiting for me to finish or redo someday, hopefully in the next few months ill be able to get back to my own projects (stuck on commissions right now)

25. Cibernite

Cibernite Well-Known Member

I loved the Lion Force Voltron. I used to watch it every time it came on. Even the CGI version was cool.

26. Omicron

Omicron New Member

I think the main problem with maing it functional is the incosistancy within the show. The key portion changes color and size within not only the same episode but also the same scene.

For example

27. Omicron

Omicron New Member

Been thinking about this. Have you tried something along these lines? Having small levers to push the key past the center line could help you make it come out far enough while still being able to have it open and not show the end of the key.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  28. Pitbull

Pitbull Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can i buy a F'n voltron key already what's with the hold up :lol j/k but no i really want one :lol

29. Kylash

ack, i know >< still havent figured out the cartoon physics, havent gotten back to it in a while obviously.

30. blownhemi

blownhemi Well-Known Member

This is a fantastic project! :thumbsup

31. ch3zyp00fs

ch3zyp00fs New Member

Any update on this project? I'd love to see a photo or a way to buy one.

32. Walter

Walter Sr Member

It's four years dead, I would be surprised.

33. Kylash

ehhhh, ive stil got the prototype mold...didnt get much further than that, static piece.

34. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Yeaaaah...pretty old. Really a shame, I would have definitely gotten one:(

35. ch3zyp00fs

ch3zyp00fs New Member

Is there a link to the photo? For some reason they're not showing up on my browser. Seems like a shame it didn't turn out, but at least there's a mold.

36. Kylash

id have to dig them up, theyre years old pics that probably why they dont work now.

37. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

I would like to see pics too. The whole transport to the lions and position keys segment is really cool.

38. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

dead or not i still would love to see where you got with this. id still want one.