[WIP] The Superior Spiderman [Picture Heavy]

RiotJavelinDX

Sr Member
July 19th, 2015.

Hey guys, this thread will be dedicated to my Superior Spiderman suit, which at this point is about 75% done. I plan to be at 100% in time for New York's Comicon in late October.

This all started in September of last year where I took the jump, and bought Orhadar's Superior Spiderman file. For a small extra fee, he customized for me by adding brick patterns to it.

Untitled.png

I immediately went over to Fabric-on-Demand to have them print it out, but unfortunately the first TWO prints came out identically terrible, looking like this...
IMG_20140809_213347_781.jpg
IMG_20140809_213140_078.jpg

The first two came out very dark as you can see, with the muscles and almost all of the black bricks disappearing. Fabric-on-Demand, thankfully, was very helpful and gave me free reprints until everything came out as it should have.

Several months passed and I eventually had the funds to have the RPF user @El-Fett most notably silcone the unique chest spider and arms. The results were stellar; note - Fett has a long wait time due to how many projects he gets, but he is totally worth it...and just last week, I had the wonderful @TrophyWife sew my suit, which will be arriving shortly. The results look awesome and I can't wait to get my hands on it.
2015-07-01%2018.40.50.jpg
2015-07-02%2014.55.51-1.jpg
2015-07-01%2018.41.06.jpg
received_1617937941797590.jpeg
received_1617937955130922.jpeg
received_1617881865136531.jpeg

But, that's just the suit. I wanted to make this stand out, so I had the RPF user @laelee model Superior Spiderman's gauntlets and backpack. The gauntlets have slowly evolved and are nearing completion...

Concept art and the raw print...
superior%20spiderman%203d%20print%20and%20concept.png

Priming and sanding...
2015-07-12%2011.15.20.jpg

Paint...
2015-07-12%2014.36.55.jpg

Still needs some work and the red bulb in the center is proving to be troublesome.

Lael also modeled the backpack, but due to the curves, angles, and sheer size, it became apparent that 3D printing would be difficult and expensive. Thus, it was converted to pepakura. I have never done pepakura, but I have printed the pages out and am in the process of cutting everything out. I will build and seal the pepakura model the slush rondo on the inside, allowing it to dry, at which point I will peel off the paper shell and work with the rondo cast.

Untitled-1.png

Tomorrow I'll update the thread on my faceshell / lens process.

Last edited:
I've bought two face shells, and three sets of lenses.

The first face shell is TJack's Universal Faceshell, which is basic, affordable, and all around a great choice.
photo_6.jpg

Along with his shell, I also bought first and second incarnation of the Superior Spiderman lenses.
IMG_0766.jpg
Superior%20Spiderman.jpg

That said, an Etsy shop by the name of OracleMadeUK cropped up recently with really spectacular looking shells and lenses, so I jumped on his Superior lenses and face shell. Here are the stock pictures...

icm_fullxfull.57805475_geoni6taisoo04w08ok4.jpg
il_570xN.760612467_gprt.jpg

The shell I got was GREAT, but the lenses...the lenses were terribly misshapen and completely unsalvageable.
9vf3gw.jpg
55440j.jpg

In a rather confusing exchange of messages, he seemed to imply he couldn't guarantee the awesome look of his stock set, at least not in the KIT FORM, which I bought. If you look at his Etsy reviews, his kits are poorly reviewed but finished sets have rave reviews. Oracle showed good customer service and will be sending me standard TASM2 lenses, though.

Yeah it was a shame, I really wish it had panned out especially considering how much they cost. I may well sell them off, it was a let down, but, again, good customer service and his finished products seem to be quality.

I'm blown away by this build Riot. Are you on the Spidey Society or Excelsior group on FB?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nice! You have gotten a lot of progress! I will give you a quite a difficult task, but try to make solid spider appendages. That will make all geeks fan boy/girl.

Nice! You have gotten a lot of progress! I will give you a quite a difficult task, but try to make solid spider appendages. That will make all geeks fan boy/girl.

Although I suspect you're somewhat joking, I can't say I'd ever be willing to do so. I actually have a clear aesthetic design in my head and I'm sure laellee could easily model it out for me and I could print four copies with some tough ball joints installed. BUT they're so big, I'd never enjoy it, they'd be obtrusive as hell for conventions and annoying to transport haha.

Yeah, good point. If you're doing so, I think you should check out DimwittedDinoBot

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, good point. If you're doing so, I think you should check out DimwittedDinoBot's Superior Venom build, this might help you. But besides the tentacles, try using a file to shape out the lenses.

Suit looks great, although I would have cut the eye-holes out nearby the surrounding center of the spider web on the mask.

Here's a few references from an old suit I made, I used TJack's Superior lenses for it:

IMG_2026.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

If you're looking for mesh lenses, I would recommend Spidey4fun's (Brad) urethane ones. Soft, very bendable, and great visibility, plus a ton of styles (Comic style G is probably the closest to superior frames):

http://www.spidey4fun.ncable.net.au/frames.htm

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I couldn't see how far back the webbing was when I poked the holes (had the suit on). It felt right but it seems I chose poorly and now regret it immensely.

One thing I do before I cut my eye holes is I attach my frames to the mask where I want them (either glue them or with magnets and faceshell), then turn the mask inside out and cut the holes. That way I find I don't cut the holes to big plus they are cut in the right spot.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back