[WIP] The Superior Spiderman [Picture Heavy]

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by RiotJavelinDX, Jul 19, 2015.

1. RiotJavelinDX

RiotJavelinDX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

July 19th, 2015.

Hey guys, this thread will be dedicated to my Superior Spiderman suit, which at this point is about 75% done. I plan to be at 100% in time for New York's Comicon in late October.

This all started in September of last year where I took the jump, and bought Orhadar's Superior Spiderman file. For a small extra fee, he customized for me by adding brick patterns to it.

[​IMG]

I immediately went over to Fabric-on-Demand to have them print it out, but unfortunately the first TWO prints came out identically terrible, looking like this...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The first two came out very dark as you can see, with the muscles and almost all of the black bricks disappearing. Fabric-on-Demand, thankfully, was very helpful and gave me free reprints until everything came out as it should have.

Several months passed and I eventually had the funds to have the RPF user @El-Fett most notably silcone the unique chest spider and arms. The results were stellar; note - Fett has a long wait time due to how many projects he gets, but he is totally worth it...and just last week, I had the wonderful @TrophyWife sew my suit, which will be arriving shortly. The results look awesome and I can't wait to get my hands on it.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

But, that's just the suit. I wanted to make this stand out, so I had the RPF user @laelee model Superior Spiderman's gauntlets and backpack. The gauntlets have slowly evolved and are nearing completion...

Concept art and the raw print...
    [​IMG]
    Priming and sanding...
    [​IMG]
    Paint...
    [​IMG]

Still needs some work and the red bulb in the center is proving to be troublesome.

Lael also modeled the backpack, but due to the curves, angles, and sheer size, it became apparent that 3D printing would be difficult and expensive. Thus, it was converted to pepakura. I have never done pepakura, but I have printed the pages out and am in the process of cutting everything out. I will build and seal the pepakura model the slush rondo on the inside, allowing it to dry, at which point I will peel off the paper shell and work with the rondo cast.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I'll update the thread on my faceshell / lens process.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  2. Hazmat

Hazmat Well-Known Member

Nice man, this is looking wicked so far.

3. FirstPick

FirstPick Well-Known Member

The web lines for superior Spidey are the best. That's how it should always be.

RiotJavelinDX likes this.
  4. Iggy

Iggy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This suit is looking awesome so far! Loving the 3d printed gauntlets.

5. RiotJavelinDX

I've bought two face shells, and three sets of lenses.

The first face shell is TJack's Universal Faceshell, which is basic, affordable, and all around a great choice.
    [​IMG]
    Along with his shell, I also bought first and second incarnation of the Superior Spiderman lenses.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

That said, an Etsy shop by the name of OracleMadeUK cropped up recently with really spectacular looking shells and lenses, so I jumped on his Superior lenses and face shell. Here are the stock pictures...

[​IMG][​IMG]

The shell I got was GREAT, but the lenses...the lenses were terribly misshapen and completely unsalvageable.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    In a rather confusing exchange of messages, he seemed to imply he couldn't guarantee the awesome look of his stock set, at least not in the KIT FORM, which I bought. If you look at his Etsy reviews, his kits are poorly reviewed but finished sets have rave reviews. Oracle showed good customer service and will be sending me standard TASM2 lenses, though.

George and Venom1989 like this.
  6. Hazmat

Hazmat Well-Known Member

Too bad, I love the look of those Oracle lenses.

7. RiotJavelinDX

Yeah it was a shame, I really wish it had panned out especially considering how much they cost. I may well sell them off, it was a let down, but, again, good customer service and his finished products seem to be quality.

8. DeJaan13

DeJaan13 Active Member

This is coming along nicely.

9. Igniitus

Igniitus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm blown away by this build Riot. Are you on the Spidey Society or Excelsior group on FB?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

10. RiotJavelinDX

I am not, never heard of it them to be honest!

11. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

ugh im so jelly at your build compared to mine lol. I need 2 get my hands on those gauntlets as well.... ;)

12. Spidermanfan20

Spidermanfan20 New Member

Nice! You have gotten a lot of progress! I will give you a quite a difficult task, but try to make solid spider appendages. That will make all geeks fan boy/girl.

13. RiotJavelinDX

Although I suspect you're somewhat joking, I can't say I'd ever be willing to do so. I actually have a clear aesthetic design in my head and I'm sure laellee could easily model it out for me and I could print four copies with some tough ball joints installed. BUT they're so big, I'd never enjoy it, they'd be obtrusive as hell for conventions and annoying to transport haha.

George likes this.
  14. Spidermanfan20

Yeah, good point. If you're doing so, I think you should check out DimwittedDinoBot

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, good point. If you're doing so, I think you should check out DimwittedDinoBot's Superior Venom build, this might help you. But besides the tentacles, try using a file to shape out the lenses.

15. RiotJavelinDX

I think I may go with black mesh TASM2 lenses for this...

16. RiotJavelinDX

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

George likes this.
  17. spiderlane

spiderlane New Member

Suit looks great, although I would have cut the eye-holes out nearby the surrounding center of the spider web on the mask.

Here's a few references from an old suit I made, I used TJack's Superior lenses for it:

IMG_2026.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

If you're looking for mesh lenses, I would recommend Spidey4fun's (Brad) urethane ones. Soft, very bendable, and great visibility, plus a ton of styles (Comic style G is probably the closest to superior frames):

http://www.spidey4fun.ncable.net.au/frames.htm

- - - Updated - - -

18. RiotJavelinDX

Yeah, I couldn't see how far back the webbing was when I poked the holes (had the suit on). It felt right but it seems I chose poorly and now regret it immensely.

19. RiotJavelinDX

Time to get a mask reprinted, puff painted, and sewn and have the current suit converted to a removable mask setup...

20. spideyman12004

spideyman12004 Active Member

One thing I do before I cut my eye holes is I attach my frames to the mask where I want them (either glue them or with magnets and faceshell), then turn the mask inside out and cut the holes. That way I find I don't cut the holes to big plus they are cut in the right spot.

21. spiderlane

spiderlane New Member

Hey Riot, it's cool, I did the same thing when I made my suit. Went through 2 masks cause I screwed up the eyeholes and gluing the lenses on. It's not easy and I'm always going a separate mask route from now on. Should be easy to get a mask printed and puff-painted though!

If you're going to glue the frames on again, I would also recommend buying one of those white, styrofoam mannequin heads from Michael's/Joanne's or a similar hobby/fabric store. That way you can make sure the mask pattern is aligned on the mannequin and you can glue the lenses/frames onto the mask while it's on the head (or just have El Fett do it lol). I would glue the lenses/frames on first then turn the mask inside-out and cut the eyeholes out from behind the lenses. You can pinch the material upwards to make sure you don't cut any of the mesh/lens material when you're cutting out the eyeholes.

Anyway, best of luck, this is turning out great!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  22. RiotJavelinDX

Thanks for the tips guys. Gonna cost a bit to mend the damage, but my OCD won't allow me to leave it alone.

George likes this.
  23. Spidermanfan20

Doing well so far, looks so authentic.
    —————————————————

24. RiotJavelinDX

So, FOD is printing a second mask. Then, a quick round of puff paint and then off to TrophyWife to have her 1. Sew the new mask 2. Remove the old mask and zipper 3. Extend old back zipper.

Additionally, I've found a really nice 3D printer who will assist me in 3D printing the backpack, so I'm tabling the pepakura approach.

spiderlane likes this.
  25. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

Ohhhhhh! Cannot wait to see how that will come out! Im debating on how to make the backpack/extended legs myself!

26. spiderlane

spiderlane New Member

Sounds great Riot! Despite this setback, I'm betting the final product will be awesome. Which frames/lenses are you gonna go with? I went with TJacks in the past, no faceshell.

27. RiotJavelinDX

I'm feeling conflicted, but I think I'm going use TJack TASM2 lenses with black lenses. I know it's not in line with comics seem in the original Superior comic run, but his Spiderverse lenses often have a very TASM2 look to them. Also, the lenses are very much Spiderman incarnate and I think it will give a more instant recognition to those unfamiliar with the character that I am indeed a version of Spiderman.

spiderlane likes this.
  28. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

Honestly, there will be maybe a handful of actual comic book readers that will know the difference. I guarantee you some will ask "are you supposed to be spiderman?" or "THAT'S NOT THE SPIDERMAN THAT I REMEMBER?!" (which happened too me when I wore the ben reilly scarlet spiderman...* younger generations **shakes cane)

I believe it will look sexy! i mean your whole build is just amazing ;)

29. RiotJavelinDX

So, the backpack parts have come in from the 3D printer. The file is split into eight pieces, so I've glued the bottom four and top four together with a two part resin epoxy. Once it's properly set I'll take pictures. I don't want to Fuse the top and bottom together, rather, I plan I installing a hinge and clasp so I can actually open it and store my wallet and phone.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Bogleo likes this.
  30. RiotJavelinDX

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As you can see, a lot of work needs to be done to refinish some of the areas. I'm thinking of using rondo but I am a bit afraid that the heat from the curing of the rondo will warp the print. Any input, guys?

31. RiotJavelinDX

[​IMG][​IMG]

spiderlane and yoopees like this.
  32. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

did u use a "grid" to drill the holes? Or just went to town on it? im probably going to do that next this weekend :D

33. RiotJavelinDX

- Edit -

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  34. Daftpunk

Daftpunk Jr Member

Does he do ASM2 lenses but just tint them?

35. RiotJavelinDX

They're not tinted, but they are ASM2 lenses. I simply asked for black mesh.

36. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

11815954_10153169913290857_41591270_n.jpg
    one is the white mesh and the other is the black mesh :)

37. Daftpunk

Daftpunk Jr Member

Hmmm I see, anyways they look cool :)

38. RiotJavelinDX

[​IMG] Left the city to visit some family; took the opportunity to start some rondo in the great outdoors.

Hazmat likes this.
  39. Hazmat

Hazmat Well-Known Member

That back pack is looking great. It must have taken ages to print. Are you still planning on it opening and closing?

40. RiotJavelinDX

Yes indeed I do. Trying to figure out hinges or magnets or whatever. Trying to not overload it with magnets as my wallet and phone would be in it, though.

41. DeJaan13

DeJaan13 Active Member

That back spider is looking awesome.

42. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

Any tips for working with rondo on 3d prints?

43. RiotJavelinDX

First time using it was today. Just aim for a 50/50 resin / bondo volume ratio, if you want it thinner use a bit more resin, I wouldn't go the other direction otherwise it's too thick. Add enough cream hardener to get a notable colour change (a very light pink or salmon color). After I sand this layer and do the next layer, I'll probably add a drop or two of the resin hardener. I used a 50 cent paint brush and threw it away afterwards.

Bogleo likes this.
  44. Hazmat

Hazmat Well-Known Member

Bogleo: There's 2 issues that I have found with rondo. one; you run into the odd air bubble while sanding and that's a pain. Two; rondo is crazy hard to sand! It's so much harder than regular Bondo. That said, it's cheap enough so I'll keep using it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Bogleo likes this.
  45. RiotJavelinDX

The Suit
    [​IMG]
    TrophyWife makes progress on fixing my horrendous error with the mask.

The Shell
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Added in metal mesh behind the black honeycomb to block out my eyes better. Visibility is still decent.

The Backpack
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Slowly masking progress. Probably two weekends left of work.

46. RiotJavelinDX

Going to paint the backpack soon. Has some obvious imperfections most notably between the legs of the pack but with this print I certainly am out of my skill level in terms of finishing it, nor do I have the proper tools to sand the awkward nook and crannies. Hard pill for me to swallow as I've already painted my gauntlets 7 times as I've found a new imperfection each time. However, I must learn to accept this is my first costume, first time finishing a 3D print, and first time painting.

47. RiotJavelinDX

48. Warmachine2000

Warmachine2000 Active Member

That looks awesome, can't wait to see it completed :thumbsup

49. CryingHades

CryingHades New Member

Dude, these are really cool. I like how you've used Puffy Paint to make the Spider smooth. I see all these other cosplays where its all bumpy and stuff and really really doesn't really
    add well to the costume. Nice job!

50. Hazmat

Hazmat Well-Known Member

*, those bracers turned out really nice.