WIP Doctor Doom (First build, Helm is done!)

Re: WIP Doctor Doom (First build, could use some tips)

I had some problems with my first helmet... The sad news is that it died because of my careless sanding with the dremel.

The fiberglass I used provided me with so many problems inside of the mask, especially in the details of the face, which is what ended being damaged.

Sadly I had to put my mask in a bag and just keep it as reference, I did not see any way where I could work with it without spending way more time than building a new one.

So, I built a new one! I worked the pep with a lot more care and now with the experience I got with the previous helmet and the chest piece, I took less time in building this one and it's been covered in resin already. Tomorrow I'll be fiberglassing it along with the chestpiece and backpiece that I have done.

I'll be posting pictures of the new helm later.

Here are the pictures of the new helm... And the chestpiece with fiberglass, I'm already waiting for it to be cured.

I think I'm working so slowly with this. >.<

Looking good man! I should have alot of the armor done by the end of this weekend! Pm me your email and ill send you what I got. Only problem is that the shoulders will not work well. Ive made adjustments but I think I willalso make the movie armor version as well

What are you using for the chest armor? (What source?)
I wasn't planning on making a chest plate unless time permits, and I'd love to see the front of yours, and what you did for it...

Never mind. Just backed up a few posts.

Looks good so far. Funny that there's 3 of us working on the same project at once, and it's not another IM build :p

I just finished the armor model adjustments and unfolded in pepakura. I will post a link on monday!

I'll be waiting for it!

As for the progress on my costume, I've been sanding manually the fiberglass on the inside of the pieces, the weather here has been horrible, so I wouldn't have been able to work the bondo yet.

In this case I had to clean the inside though, I did have to do it. Otherwise I would have received a few cuts on my face when trying it on!

I finally worked with the bondo on my helmet and finished some extra sanding on the fiberglass of the chest piece!

I had problems with the application at the beginning, like in the right of the jaw, I applied a bigger layer than on the left side, so it looks a bit deformed. Tomorrow I'll begin sanding the helm.

I think I'll begin bondo'ing the chest after I'm done with the helm or at least satisfied.

What else...? I was thinking of making a duct tape dummy for my armor, it would be nice to have it close to my room. :lol

You have a mouse sander, or something equivalent?
You're gonna need it!
Your bondo mix hardening ok? Maybe it's just the pics, but it looks a little light.

Looks good, though. I like your cut pattern. :p

I have a sander, but it's too big to use it on the face... So I'll be sanding that manually.

And it looks a little light because I had a friend of mine take the pictures right after I applied it.

Looks good, though. I like your cut pattern. :p

Thank you! I ponder how did I come with that idea. :rolleyes

Hey there! I just wanted to post a little update in here.

I haven't abandoned the project, in fact is going great. Sadly I don't have recent pictures, but I've uploaded some before I sanded more of the helm.

Sadly my sander is too big for the mask's details so I had been sanding all by hand, the results so far are quite nice though I've been taking a lot of time with it.

I also just added primer and noticed a few holes that will be covered with red putty.

There another thing I noticed late, the left brow on my mask was pushed to the insides when after I applied the resin/fiberglass, so I had to fill that void with a lot of bondo so it can match the opposite side, it has been easy to sand but I'm almost there.

Hopefully my friend will come back with his camera so I can upload more recent pictures of the helm!

P.D: I'm working on a mannequin for my armor as well as you can see in the last picture... I realized I was in need of it to work the chest piece and other parts more comfortably.

Here is part of my progress... Covering the spots with red putty and sanding with 240 grit...

It's kind of disheartening that I keep finding little holes on the mask, but well... I have to keep working, I like so far how it looks like... I'm sure it'll look better once it's done!

I'm done sanding the helm, I've reached a point that I like and that has made me quite proud. All I can say is that I need a mouse sander, sanding by hand for someone as inexperienced like me makes it so time consuming. >.<

The mask took around 12-14 hours due my bad application of bondo, while the back part of the helm took around 20~30 minutes using the sander I have (I still had to sand manually on the top, but it didn't take much)

So for now it's with primer waiting to be painted and for some details, like the mouth piece and the bolts.

I'm working on the arms right from BSD files, I have completed the shoulders and biceps... So far they are perfect fit, so I didn't have to modify any files.

I must add that he ordered each piece perfectly, making it easier to cut and glue together.

It's amazing how different our helmets look, coming from the same base file!
That's why I totally disagree with the Pepakura naysayers, as the final work is very personal to the builder, and unique every time.

Looks great! I can't wait to see how you finish it off!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back