[WIP] Ahab Predator Cosplay Build (2018-2019)

In the progress of making Ahab's spear. The right way this time...

RkPZ6dv.jpg
p4rQOPZ.jpg

9kfg8a0.jpg

The spear itself is my work. The spearhead is being done by a friend from another forum.

Spear tip is about finished. Just need to hand sand things down to smooth them out, plastidip the wood, and then spray paint it silver.

Yautjaleader i must tell you that most of the conventions will NOT accept your spear! You can always use it as a display at home but seriously with all my respect wooden props tend to be borderline for acceptance in cons.

You think so? I got away with this at all the cons I've gone to...

But then again, they do weapon checks. I.e. the orange sticker band.

Yautjaleader i must tell you that most of the conventions will NOT accept your spear! You can always use it as a display at home but seriously with all my respect wooden props tend to be borderline for acceptance in cons.
Why dont you do it in Eva foam, it is light,it is child safe, and Nice looking.

I tried EVA foam. It was too brittle and would bend and cause little wrinkles that looked...terrible. Then I tried insulation foam...and it melted when painted. So I said screw it and went with light but durable wood for the build. The people making the wood spear tip for me did not disappoint. It will screw into my spear via the threaded lock system. Firm and secure.

I tried EVA foam. It was too brittle and would bend and cause little wrinkles that looked...terrible. Then I tried insulation foam...and it melted when painted. So I said screw it and went with light but durable wood for the build. The people making the wood spear tip for me did not disappoint. It will screw into my spear via the threaded lock system. Firm and secure.

Oh, just prime the insulation foam with a diluted version of wood glue. OR use multiple layers of EVA foam.

The wood seems unwieldy.

brother, the suit kicks ass. I love Chris's work. as far as the spear here something to help. use cheap styrofoam to start. (melting avoided in other steps) coat in either Elmers glue, latex, or a few coats of acrylic paint. seeing you've already gone the latex route try latex mixed with a small amount of silver craft acrylic from walmart. finish painting with the same stuff. this can be done to upholstery foam too. going that route you'd shape it in 2 dimensions as usual the nip the bevel with scissors in small amounts before you latex it. I hope it helps.

Can’t wait to see you try it on.

I hope it fits...

brother, the suit kicks ass. I love Chris's work. as far as the spear here something to help. use cheap styrofoam to start. (melting avoided in other steps) coat in either Elmers glue, latex, or a few coats of acrylic paint. seeing you've already gone the latex route try latex mixed with a small amount of silver craft acrylic from walmart. finish painting with the same stuff. this can be done to upholstery foam too. going that route you'd shape it in 2 dimensions as usual the nip the bevel with scissors in small amounts before you latex it. I hope it helps.

I tried and it ended up melting it. I'm just gonna go with the wood. It looks and feels much more realistic. I've gone 100% for the suit, may as well for the weapons.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back