Winter Soldier Shoulder Harness Advice?

Fergal667

Hi all,

I am planning to create a Winter Soldier harness for my teenage daughter for a Comic-Con later in the year. I am a COMPLETE novice at this and have never worked with any cosplay materials at all. (I have sourced an imitation leather jacket and also plan to make the metal arm in due course.) I am starting with the harness as I *think* it will be an easier project to start with. I would welcome ANY advice.

The plan is to use 5mm EVA foam for the back piece. Using thinner foam to create the elevated sections. I intend to use PVA Foam Board to create the section which holds the Skorpion. I would use magnets on the Skorpion (a toy) and on the board so the thing will stick. Webbing material for the straps.

What I am really interested in is covering the whole back piece with fabric. I think I need 4 way stretch which I can easily obtain but I am keen on any advice on how to apply it to the foam. Contact cement seems to be the general consensus but how best to apply it so that I can stick it neatly and tight over the raised sections of the back piece. Do you stretch it on or just "place it on top" and then use something to press it into the various gaps and slopes?

(BTW - I am planning on going to the convention as Captain America - I am going to buy my suit but there seems to be a debate over the Cosplay Sky version and the White Sheep Leather version. It doesn't have to be exactly screen accurate. What are your thoughts?)

Here is the initial sketch of the harness design for reference. Would welcome any thoughts or advice from you more experienced designers. The bottom sketch is more accurate in terms of the angles involved.

Harness.jpg

I used a 4 way stretch fax leather and contact cemented it down. I applied the cement to the back of the stretch, then to the back plate and laid the back plate flat down on top of the stretch. Turn it over and use your fingers or a tongue depressor to push it into the grooves. Be sure you cut enough stretch to wrap around to the back.

the other, much simpler finish would be to assemble all your foam pieces, seal the whole thing with a heat gun and give it 3-4 coats of PlastiDip. You really wouldn’t have to anything else to it.

I

the other, much simpler finish would be to assemble all your foam pieces, seal the whole thing with a heat gun and give it 3-4 coats of PlastiDip. You really wouldn’t have to anything else to it.

I did this method and it works and looks great. Its also much easier IMO.
The magnets attaching the scorpion add the extra umph as well.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back