Windlass Conan Swords?

Thanks for posting pics Cessnadriver it looks ok and almost the same as the Marto Father's sword apart from the grip which looks more narrow and straight. Yeah it was a little shorter. Have you taken it apart to investigate it's construction ie full tang and grip material? I and other's i am sure would love to know.=)

I have no plans to disassemble, apologies on that, rather not screw anything up and it's just going to be a display piece.
Small gripes are the runes strip down the length could be centered better,
one of the skulls looks like a little black epoxy squished through a seam.
Maybe they were addressing a rattle someone had mentioned was a problem?

Looking at Albions they should both be almost the same length, so either the Marto is too long or more likley this one is just too short.

They do display well together as far as finish I think.

I also notice the etched design lines around the skull are missing, where as Albions has them. So not sure what is going on there.

For the price this is great, and it was a case of having a Father's sword or none at all.
I was willing to go more money for the Marto Atlantean since that is the big guy's hero sword, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that much again on the Fathers, at least for now.

Maybe some point down the road I will upgrade, who knows what new manufacturers will be doing eventually in the years to come. So maybe this one will be cut to appear as the damaged version one day.

Oh and one nice thing, unlike the Marto, there isn't a bunch of trademark crap spoiling one side of the sword. A tiny sticker that said "Made in India" was all.

Nothing takes you out of the moment handling it to see modern factory markings.
Anyone remove them from the Marto sucessfully?

Thanks for posting pics Cessnadriver it looks ok and almost the same as the Marto Father's sword apart from the grip which looks more narrow and straight. Yeah it was a little shorter. Have you taken it apart to investigate it's construction ie full tang and grip material? I and other's i am sure would love to know.=)
Yes they are full tang Nial.& the handle material is metal.

None of the Father's sword replica's apart from Albions had the correct blade inscription..nor any part of the sword actually. I checked measurments and that actually should be about the same length. I am sure the Marto had a metal grip and from what i could see of the blade through the elks eyes a full tang though still stainless. I thought Windlass advertised these as having wooden grip cores?

Still i think you both scored ok for the price and will look nice on display. I wonder will anyone buy a Valeria's sword?

I picked one up. Not a horrible piece, but it doesn't quite match the originals (different shape to the integral crossguard, no face on the pommel)...and the blade grind is non-symmetrical.

Not horrible, just...well, worth what it costs.

I have Albion Father's Sword (number two) and some early Raven pieces (the ones styled from the stunt blades Simon ended up with). My last trip up to Wisconsin, I did handle the originals (including the "Battle of the Mounds" Atlantian, with the notch in the blade)...good times :)

Alex

Alex!!! I really wish I had an Albion Father's Sword!!!.... Also, I once had a chance to own that Atlantean Stunt Sword that had the pump in the handle that squirted the blood.... Every time I think about it I am sad I didn't get it...

Just in case anyone on this thread hasn't seen these on the other thread, here is a photo of the originals...

best-conan-sword-money-x2-detail-06-ps-copy.jpg-69522d1317454134

===========================================================

I picked one up. Not a horrible piece, but it doesn't quite match the originals (different shape to the integral crossguard, no face on the pommel)...and the blade grind is non-symmetrical.

I have Albion Father's Sword (number two) and some early Raven pieces (the ones styled from the stunt blades Simon ended up with). My last trip up to Wisconsin, I did handle the originals (including the "Battle of the Mounds" Atlantian, with the notch in the blade)...good times :)

Alex

Alex

I could tell from the right off all of the windlass swords were moulded off the Marto versions. Again from what i could see the Valaria's sword looks ok for it's price. I'd love to have an Albion Father's swird one day. I love my Fable just wish it had the correct width blade. Any chance of some pics of your Father's and Valaria's Wakal?:lol

Not to take away from the option and/or quality of the above mentioned Atlantean Sword replica makers, but there are several additional options available out there . . . .

1. Conan's Atlantean Father's Sword Replica

2. Conan The Barbarian Atlantean Sword Prop Replica

3. Conan The Barbarian Hero Sword Prop Replica

and for those of you who might like to put in a little DIY customization time/work . . .

4. Barbarian II Sword

The Conan Atlantean Sword is perhaps my all time FAVORITE movie sword ... so I'm just throwin' out all of the possible options I've seen as I've sought out various options. (I actually have the #4 sword above ... haven't yet started to customize it yet).

Not to take away from the option and/or quality of the above mentioned Atlantean Sword replica makers, but there are several additional options available out there . . . .

1. Conan's Atlantean Father's Sword Replica

2. Conan The Barbarian Atlantean Sword Prop Replica

3. Conan The Barbarian Hero Sword Prop Replica

and for those of you who might like to put in a little DIY customization time/work . . .

4. Barbarian II Sword

The Conan Atlantean Sword is perhaps my all time FAVORITE movie sword ... so I'm just throwin' out all of the possible options I've seen as I've sought out various options. (I actually have the #4 sword above ... haven't yet started to customize it yet).

None of them are functional, are only for display on the wall, are not functional, functional Atlantean Sword today, are only windlass or Albion, and other custom!

I'm not sure what qualifies as "functional". I have a Windlass sword that I bought close to 20 years ago, it's HC steel, came with an edge, but I had it sharpened up a bit more. When I was young and stupid I wanted to prove it was functional, so I pruned a small elm tree with it (NOT recommended!) It had no problem removing 6 2" thick limbs like butter (two handed). I was satisfied with it's ability to defend me from tree-ents and haven't swung it at anything since :lol. The few swords I've gotten since then are wall hangers, I just can't justify the expense of something thats "functional" but yet has no "function" to actually perform. I can't see purchasing one of the beautiful functional replica swords and using it to actually cross blades. If I was involved in re-enactment I could see the purpose, otherwise SS looks nice on the wall and is easy to care for. Also when I have guests over, my KR wall hangers get alot more attention than old Hellstorm (Windlass) does :)

I recently bought the Windlass Atlantean, having owned quite a few cheaper versions of the Atlantean as well. I am very happy with the quality and the workmanship of this sword, not to mention the price!! It came covered in grease and with instructions on cleaning and oiling. I will never do battle with it and don't swing it around, but it is definitely worlds better than the Chinese versions I own...which I still like. I cannot afford an Albion...maybe someday...but this Windlass has more than made me a Satisfied Conan Fan!!
image_zps7fd4c778.jpg

If you think windlass makes quality "Functional" Swords, and the test of a "Functional" sword is by swinging it to cut 2 litre pop bottles, you have a lot of learning to do! :lol

Why call us so Windlass is functional, a functional sword, like it or not!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back