Windlass Conan Swords?

I ordered a Windless fathers and it is on backorder.
Strictly for wall hanging and will never see any kind of stress, just has to look pretty.

:lol I present my holy trinity of awesomeness. Although it would be awesome-er if that #20 was a Destroyer Atlantean. :)

swords01.jpg

Here is my original thread:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/crom-3153/

So yeah, I'm a bit spoiled, but for the price, the Windlass looks very nice.

Steel....mmmmm....nice....mmmmm

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

No you certainly should NOT be complaining about your fable blades. Brendan makes outstanding swords that have careful meticulous detail in them. Even Albion's quality does not surpass his, as they are still assembly workers, and still do leave the occasional minor flaw in their occasional batch.

Take my word on it you have your money's worth.

Trace1 I agree wholeheartedly Brenno makes a great Blade and the bronze fittings by Jeffrey Robinson have to be seen to be believed the pic of mine here doesn't do them justice. It's got great balance has a lovely swing and man you could shave with this sword it's that sharp.

I haven't had the good fortune to actually handle one of Albions but i sure would love to.

Trace1 I agree wholeheartedly Brenno makes a great Blade and the bronze fittings by Jeffrey Robinson have to be seen to be believed the pic of mine here doesn't do them justice. It's got great balance has a lovely swing and man you could shave with this sword it's that sharp.

I haven't had the good fortune to actually handle one of Albions but i sure would love to.

You actually wouldn't be noticing that much difference between an Albion's sword compared to one of Brendan's. At least when comparing the fantasy swords. There actually isn't much to compare here because aside from the few filmswords albion makes most are period recreactions, and I don't think Brendan has made any medieval period swords at all. But they both concentrate on the feature which I was dramatically babbling about previously.

I think what your referring to here is perhaps a fable sword with a Jody Samson sword. The common ground there would be imagination and the right feeling when you hold the sword. If you prefer a fantasy sword over a medieval one like me, then you would no doubt understand this.

I've seen and/or heard guys (including myself) that look at a Jody sword and say, Nah that looks weird, or wrong, fuller shouldn't be like that, looks off balance etc. Only until they actually picking it up, and then you start to hear them say, hmmm... hang on that dosen't feel that bad, I might get used to this, still looks weird, feels nice though. Then comes the temptation to swing it around, but first you run your thumb over the edge, and become even more surprised to find out the edge is not only very sharp but keen enough to make instant accidental be-headings, gut spillings, and limb amputations. So then they just concentrate on resisting the urge to swing it around, and just grip it tenderly like a new born baby, while starring at the now recognized very unique piece in their hands and quietly marvel at the art, quality, effort, power, responsibility and value of it all.

To say the least anyway.

I feel the details were necessary because even as I'm typing this, the awful sinking feeling comes back yet again, that Jody is gone and the world will never see any more of his creations.

You actually wouldn't be noticing that much difference between an Albion's sword compared to one of Brendan's. At least when comparing the fantasy swords. There actually isn't much to compare here because aside from the few filmswords albion makes most are period recreactions, and I don't think Brendan has made any medieval period swords at all. But they both concentrate on the feature which I was dramatically babbling about previously.

I think what your referring to here is perhaps a fable sword with a Jody Samson sword. The common ground there would be imagination and the right feeling when you hold the sword. If you prefer a fantasy sword over a medieval one like me, then you would no doubt understand this.

I've seen and/or heard guys (including myself) that look at a Jody sword and say, Nah that looks weird, or wrong, fuller shouldn't be like that, looks off balance etc. Only until they actually picking it up, and then you start to hear them say, hmmm... hang on that dosen't feel that bad, I might get used to this, still looks weird, feels nice though. Then comes the temptation to swing it around, but first you run your thumb over the edge, and become even more surprised to find out the edge is not only very sharp but keen enough to make instant accidental be-headings, gut spillings, and limb amputations. So then they just concentrate on resisting the urge to swing it around, and just grip it tenderly like a new born baby, while starring at the now recognized very unique piece in their hands and quietly marvel at the art, quality, effort, power, responsibility and value of it all.

To say the least anyway.

I feel the details were necessary because even as I'm typing this, the awful sinking feeling comes back yet again, that Jody is gone and the world will never see any more of his creations.

Yes Trace1 i understand what you are saying. Obviously i have never handled one of Jody's sadly and will probably never have the chance. On the whole yes i prefer a fantasy blade but not to fantasy i still like them to have one foot on the ground shall we say. For the most part i liked all of Jody's but not all and the same goes for Brendan's. He has made a few the balanced between the realms of fantasy and history.

I look forward to some more reviews of these Windlass swords though i don't expect much. I had a Marto father's sword for a while and though stainless wallhanger was very sturdy and well balanced for what it was.

Yes Trace1 i understand what you are saying. Obviously i have never handled one of Jody's sadly and will probably never have the chance. On the whole yes i prefer a fantasy blade but not to fantasy i still like them to have one foot on the ground shall we say. For the most part i liked all of Jody's but not all and the same goes for Brendan's. He has made a few the balanced between the realms of fantasy and history.

I look forward to some more reviews of these Windlass swords though i don't expect much. I had a Marto father's sword for a while and though stainless wallhanger was very sturdy and well balanced for what it was.

The difference is obvious but plausible. Jody has 40+ years experience over Brendan, and Jody has a workshop with just about every tool you could imagine one would have for sculpting, casting, forging, and milling, and never had a shortage of privileged volunteers to help him out with more tedious chores.

For what its worth Brendan still goes a long way, for a guy armed only with his imagination, commitment, and half a peasant's supply of cheap and affordable basic tools. Hence also the primary reason with his co-joined work with Jeffery as he has more experience and most of the necessary tools in foundry and sculpting.

I too don't like a few things here and there about both Jody and Brendan, but realistically speaking no inventory is perfect for anyone, and there are still way too many things to like about either craftsman.

I like most that they both do whats on their mind. Very few sword craftsmen out there do that, but hopefully some will follow their own imagination in future, rather than select a simple common stereotype field.

I'm new to the forum.I registered just so I can give my opinion & review for the windlass conan father's sword. I preordered from "kult of Athena' 7 was one of the "lucky" few who got the first shipment(their currently on back order now) of the conan swords. well, my first impression when taking it out of the box was NOT BAD.infact PRETTY SWEET!! I put an edge to it & set out the next day for some test cutting.Which consisted of some bottles filled with water, thick card board & a wooden fence post.Well,@ first swing on the water bottles the pommel piece came off.:angryWhich just gave me oppritunity to confirm that yes it is a full threaded tang.I continued with my cutting destroying invading hoards of bottled water & card board with sheer destructive force!!! Than finally moving on to the dreaded fence post. 4 or 5 swings & it held up perfect.( minus the minor scratches on the blade.but hey,would Conan want a unblemished wallhanger or a battle scarred water bottle,fence post killing machine? Later i tightened the tang nut jb welded down tight along with the pommel piece that flew off & had no other problems with it. I even moderately clashed blades with the cheap china' wallhanger version you can pick up on ebay for 50 bucks. minor nics just in the windlass came out no problem.so,for $229.00 I think it you get one fine piece for the price!!!minus the the lose cosmetic pieces that have to be fixed.But if not satisfied "kult of athena" will refund if not satified.i'll post pics of tmy father's sword of it later.Hope this review helps.

The difference is obvious but plausible. Jody has 40+ years experience over Brendan, and Jody has a workshop with just about every tool you could imagine one would have for sculpting, casting, forging, and milling, and never had a shortage of privileged volunteers to help him out with more tedious chores.

For what its worth Brendan still goes a long way, for a guy armed only with his imagination, commitment, and half a peasant's supply of cheap and affordable basic tools. Hence also the primary reason with his co-joined work with Jeffery as he has more experience and most of the necessary tools in foundry and sculpting.

I too don't like a few things here and there about both Jody and Brendan, but realistically speaking no inventory is perfect for anyone, and there are still way too many things to like about either craftsman.

I like most that they both do whats on their mind. Very few sword craftsmen out there do that, but hopefully some will follow their own imagination in future, rather than select a simple common stereotype field.
Trace1 i couldn't agree more on Brenno's skills. I have seen pics of his old workshop and tools and to think he can turn out such beautiful creations is mindblowing. ot only swords either but daggers and athame's and alo smoking pipes.

Thanks for posting the review Brainbiter. I have been looking forward to see and hearing about Windlass's father's sword especially after the dissapointment of their Atlantean. I look forward to the pics. What do you think of the quality of the guard and pommel castings?

Well Nial, I've heard bad reviews of the atlantean also.Like I said I'm pleased with the father sword of windlass over all.But as for the so called "brass pieces" on the hilt,Yeah,it appears to be a form of brass plated metal I guess???(not sure) It seems it was meant to give that" weathered aged & exposed to climate" look.sort of like it looked in the conan movie. Maybe that's what they were going for maybe,I don't know. But again,it's just cosmetic & for appearance anyway.

It's not brass paint as some have posted on other forumns.I took a pocket knife & lightly scratched against the "stag skull & nothing came off or even left a scratch.My main problem is one of the "stag skulls "is slightly loose,making an annoying jiggling sound.so yeah,LOOSE FITTINGS ARE A PROBLEM BUT EASILY FIXED!!But still it Cuts like a demon!!!No it's definitely not an albion i'm sure ,but definitely worth $229.00. Maybe windlass will inprove on quality (especially on the atlantean) by the time they make their next shipments.& oh yeah,I'll post pics this weekend of my father's sword . But either way considering past lines of blades they've produced, the conan line will be discontinued in no time i'm sure.

Brainbeater70 i sent a message to Museum replicas about these swords and they told me that the fittings are solid alloy and an alloy of good quality coated in brass when i asked if they were pot metal.
From what you are saying it sounds like the Elk skull is in three parts like the cheap ebay sword. I looked at one and it had a lose wobbling skull one side and a rod going through the skulls and blade. the Marto guard was made in three parts also but they did a competent job. I look forward to your pics.

Brainbeater70 i sent a message to Museum replicas about these swords and they told me that the fittings are solid alloy and an alloy of good quality coated in brass when i asked if they were pot metal.
From what you are saying it sounds like the Elk skull is in three parts like the cheap ebay sword. I looked at one and it had a lose wobbling skull one side and a rod going through the skulls and blade. the Marto guard was made in three parts also but they did a competent job. I look forward to your pics.

Having problems uploding the pics Nial.But you see them in an album I created in my profile.Plus I made one of the pics my profile pic.I'll add more later.

Thanks Brainbiter70 it doesn't look any worse then the standard Marto and whole lot better then the ebay one. I look forward to more pics but again thanks for making the the album. I hope more on the Atlantean come in.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back