Will we live to see Avatar 2 ?

That's the really sad part to me is that the writing doesn't have to be lazy. I'm also not trying to discount spectacle movies either because they have a place in the landscape but when those types dominate everything it gets tiresome.
Not forgetting potentially blocking the path for a better movie to shine and reap the rewards..

One of the great things about the net and forums is finding out about movies you may never have come to watch..

I'm not sure if so common today but certainly when I was growing up there were movies from across the pond that Never made it to our shores or for such a limited time in a Theatre it was a blink and miss it scenario..

God bless region free DVDs and the likes of Famous Monsters, Starburst Fangoria and Cinemagic back then for the enlightenment into the craft.
Back in the early 1980s I travelled to a small independent shop once a month called The Forbidden Planet for info placed on their shop window about upcoming film showings, events and their famous meet the events.. Oh and they stocked a crazy amount of Scifi books comics OG artwork and more, I got to meet Alan Moore to name drop there back in the day.

To get back on track.. There will come a time where the audience won't go to a movie if its just another formulaic bolt together minimal story.. Or maybe that's what they do want.
Leaving your Brain at the door is OK but so is a meaty story with perfect or imperfect characters driving a story..

Look at Glengary Glenross, it's a cracker of a story set in one office.. Not scifi but the same logic applies..

I can't put my finger on what is responsible for the movies look to feel so outdated. Maybe it is somethibg about the environments that feels wrong like too much haze throughout all scenes or the color correction or whatever tiny bit makes it feel like CG from 15 years ago.

I can't put my finger on what is responsible for the movies look to feel so outdated. Maybe it is somethibg about the environments that feels wrong like too much haze throughout all scenes or the color correction or whatever tiny bit makes it feel like CG from 15 years ago.
The colour Blue..
Bit of a fopar as its set on a water.. world, Oh hang on Water world that's the problem!

What looks outdated is finishing a series of movies that no one really cares about or wants to see. The world moved on without Cameron's vision. It didn't endure and I doubt it will have much of a lasting impact this time either. I mean he's using footage shot well over a decade ago to finish what amounts to a passion project. There's no harm in that, but I also think it's equally fair to acknowledge that any type of messaging or spectacle he's promising has long been surpassed by others who have done it far better. The modern effects driven films leave Avatar in the dust.

What looks outdated is finishing a series of movies that no one really cares about or wants to see. The world moved on without Cameron's vision. It didn't endure and I doubt it will have much of a lasting impact this time either. I mean he's using footage shot well over a decade ago to finish what amounts to a passion project. There's no harm in that, but I also think it's equally fair to acknowledge that any type of messaging or spectacle he's promising has long been surpassed by others who have done it far better. The modern effects driven films leave Avatar in the dust.

You say this like you've already seen the movie.

So what if some of the footage is 10 years old? Half the posts in this thread are complaining that the movie will be overly reliant on spectacle. Maybe it's a GOOD sign that Cameron isn't opposed to 10yo footage.

Does messaging have to be current to be any good? I would welcome a more timeless message/theme this time after what Cameron did with Avatar#1.

James Cameron makes very good quality movies. That's been true for his entire career and I don't think it's gonna change now. This thread is full of comments that A#1 was total crap - really? Go watch 'Moonfall' and get back to me. There are actual crappy movies out there.

A#1 was a high-quality movie that was out of touch with the public. At worst, A#2 will probably be another high-grade movie with disappointing issues. If Cameron steers more timeless with the messaging then it might potentially be better.

I'm clearly not a big fan of his work other than 3 of the films he's made so there is some bias at play. I just don't think it looks very interesting. He's great at what he does and I acknowledge his talent. Those are undeniable. With those few exceptions though I'm just not drawn to the types of stories he tells. I also don't feel it's complaining when someone is critical of a trailer. Critical thought applies to art as much as it does to life. You don't have to give every movie a chance if it doesn't grab you. That's the beauty of variety.

It's also worth noting my comment about Avatar being left in the dust was in reference to the first movie. It's essentially a footnote. Well made, but overhyped and by today's standards, largely forgotten. There's no mistaking that because time has proven it, otherwise the interest in this sequels would be through the roof.

Maybe I'm wrong about the new one. Anything's possible. I just don't understand what this new story will offer audiences other than a change in locale from the sky to the water.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but this trailer does nothing for me. Nothing but random beauty shots of everything. Not even a hint of a story. Easy pass for me. Didn't care for the first one either.
You mean like every other teaser or first trailer for a movie? I'm pretty sure that you've seen and liked movies that had similar trailers until it was closer to release and they then started to release longer and more informative trailers. Then on the other, you'll get complaints that the trailer is too long and it spoils the movie. It seems that movie studios just can't win, release too short of a trailer you get complaints. Release too long of a trailer they get complaints.

Cameron is pretty full of himself. The man thinks he can walk on water and planet earth is lining up now at theaters begging box offices to PLEASE take their money so they can have the privilege to see JC’s latest opus.
As stated above, this is HIS passion project. He’s delusional and feels that the human race has been waiting with baited breath for the next chapter.
My wife joked that Cameron believes that on opening day Russia and Ukraine will become instant friends, there will be a cure for cancer and the cast of Friends will reunite!

What would it look like if Cameron was releasing Avatar#2 and NOT expecting it to be some profound work of art that ushers in a new age of mankind?

Does the mere existence of this movie prove that Cameron is being a delusional egomaniac about it? FFS. So far the movie exists and we have one generic trailer. That's it. Cameron has been mostly low-profile about the whole thing for many years.

George Lucas got some real flak for Episode#1. He still made two more prequels. Was that because of George's delusional ego too?

George also made the prequels three years apart from one another, effectively delivering a completed trilogy in less than a decade. There was just enough time for him to push the tech to make his movies work the way he wanted but he didn' wait so long that his audience forgot there was even a sequel coming to The Phantom Menace.

Cameron has been working on the second sequel in a planned series of like 10 films and this movie is coming out twelve years after the first. Look, even setting aside my dislike of some of his work, that's a long time to wait to finish out a film series. It doesn't mean it's automatically going to be bad. It also doesn't mean the time spent working on it will guarantee it's success either. I just think he's really missed his window to make the most impact. I also don't forsee that the technology would really take that long to evolve to accomplish his storytelling, or what he could possibly need to invent/ innovate to accomplish his goals. If George Lucas could pull it off in 9 years, what's taking Cameron so long?

From a logistical perspective Cameron won't live long enough to see his vision completed if he doesn't pick up the pace. Unless he amends his vision and hones it down to just a few more movies? idk.

I cannot imagine 10 of these movies under any circumstances. The public doesn't love them enough for all that. Not even Cameron is wealthy enough to keep voluntarily losing hundreds of millions of dollars on unpopular projects.

If Cameron wants to take a decade between two movies, well, that's his business. I don't care because the first Avatar movie didn't exactly change my life.

He's entitled to do whatever he likes with his story. I don't fault him that. I'm just saying that in context to the major gap of time between films it's unlikely he'll be able to finish his original vision unless he's amended that idea or is close to completing the series. If it took him this long to get to part two, he'll never finish at this pace.

What if you all hit the nail on the head, but, those involved are self aware, and under a contractual obligation to project an image backing the project on the highest level. There is a two billion dollar investment involved. The unspecified virus of unknown origins put a damper on release dates as well.

Don't forget the initial project was two sequel films. Inside word may be there was a goal to squeeze in a potential fourth film under that two film budget. Three films under the budget of two. If that was true and internally uncovered, then a fifth film was added, along with that fourth film, to the official budget and release dates, something must be made of gold somewhere.

My guess is it's generational investment on returns. A series of movies just smart enough with an overload of eye candy for adult viewers that will likely purchase multiple home releases and repeat theatrical viewings upon each sequel release along with a small amount of merch, while also targeting the younger viewer just the same but with a forward thinking of nostalgia rerelases and remasters.... It's a huge gamble but look at the trash being released over the past decades with Marvel movies. People eat them up and the fans feast on the merch. Yes I said it, marvel movies are garbage rinse wash repeat just swapping out characters, but it's a cash cow. The avatar sequels may just be the first long term films planned out targeting people that are not even old enough to remember a first viewing.

He's entitled to do whatever he likes with his story. I don't fault him that. I'm just saying that in context to the major gap of time between films it's unlikely he'll be able to finish his original vision unless he's amended that idea or is close to completing the series. If it took him this long to get to part two, he'll never finish at this pace.
Maybe this is his next Big breakthrough...
NanoCam®
NanoJam™
(you decide)

James Cameron has mapped out his brain via Nano technology or such like to carry on his and others create into the ether of time and space.
We have Deep fake and Deep Audio already..

It's Avatar Tech become real world Tech.

Released through Skynet™ of course..

What if you all hit the nail on the head, but, those involved are self aware, and under a contractual obligation to project an image backing the project on the highest level. There is a two billion dollar investment involved. The unspecified virus of unknown origins put a damper on release dates as well.

Don't forget the initial project was two sequel films. Inside word may be there was a goal to squeeze in a potential fourth film under that two film budget. Three films under the budget of two. If that was true and internally uncovered, then a fifth film was added, along with that fourth film, to the official budget and release dates, something must be made of gold somewhere.

My guess is it's generational investment on returns. A series of movies just smart enough with an overload of eye candy for adult viewers that will likely purchase multiple home releases and repeat theatrical viewings upon each sequel release along with a small amount of merch, while also targeting the younger viewer just the same but with a forward thinking of nostalgia rerelases and remasters.... It's a huge gamble but look at the trash being released over the past decades with Marvel movies. People eat them up and the fans feast on the merch. Yes I said it, marvel movies are garbage rinse wash repeat just swapping out characters, but it's a cash cow. The avatar sequels may just be the first long term films planned out targeting people that are not even old enough to remember a first viewing.
I think Marvel only worked because it fed/expanded on a pre established franchise of comics cartoons with a long history of being able to reboot adapt and tap into that part of the brain that remeniced about childhood fantasy and wanting to re aquire all those lost toys of our youth.. Heck I've got books toys vinyl from when I was three years old but then my parents never moved so I had the luxury of hording in their roof...

That all may very well be true but it's clear the gamble has yet to pay off. You can only mine anticipation for so long and even then you need a stronger film to sustain that level of interest and excitement. Avatar may have been big for a few years but 12 years on it's mostly been forgotten. Marvel has been successful for a number of reasons but it was also structured on frequency and interconnected films of massive ensemble casts with A list stars.

You say this like you've already seen the movie.

So what if some of the footage is 10 years old? Half the posts in this thread are complaining that the movie will be overly reliant on spectacle. Maybe it's a GOOD sign that Cameron isn't opposed to 10yo footage.

Does messaging have to be current to be any good? I would welcome a more timeless message/theme this time after what Cameron did with Avatar#1.

James Cameron makes very good quality movies. That's been true for his entire career and I don't think it's gonna change now. This thread is full of comments that A#1 was total crap - really? Go watch 'Moonfall' and get back to me. There are actual crappy movies out there.

A#1 was a high-quality movie that was out of touch with the public. At worst, A#2 will probably be another high-grade movie with disappointing issues. If Cameron steers more timeless with the messaging then it might potentially be better.
You mean like every other teaser or first trailer for a movie? I'm pretty sure that you've seen and liked movies that had similar trailers until it was closer to release and they then started to release longer and more informative trailers. Then on the other, you'll get complaints that the trailer is too long and it spoils the movie. It seems that movie studios just can't win, release too short of a trailer you get complaints. Release too long of a trailer they get complaints.
People just like to complain about anything these days. Nobody can just enjoy things as two-hour mindless visual feasts anymore.
As stated above, this is HIS passion project. He’s delusional and feels that the human race has been waiting with baited breath for the next chapter.
Literally the entirety of Lucas-made Star Wars in a nutshell.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back