Width of the armrests of Captain Kirk's chair

Hey all! I've been on the fence about building Kirk's chair, but one major problem that's been stopping me is the fact that I can't find any reliable width of the armrests. I've heard that there are a lot of good plans on Dewback Wing: ASAP and I've tried to sign up, but I still couldn't access the thread. The best approximation I could make is around 7". Anyways, any info is good info, many thanks everyone!

awesome. can you 3d print? it's easy enough to design model to print of the switches and buttons. Ive already done that for a desktop computer unit I'm building

awesome. can you 3d print? it's easy enough to design model to print of the switches and buttons. Ive already done that for a desktop computer unit I'm building
Unfortunately, I haven't purchased a 3D printer yet. There are SO many and some are extremely expensive so I haven't pulled the trigger on buying one. Do you offer these for sale? I have the rocker buttons so I just need the other controls on the arms but, my plan was to make them functional. Is it possible to 3D print them to be able to press the buttons and the gummies light up?

I have a Creality Ender 3, it works well enough, but I'd suggest a better model. I had to replace the bed overlay with a silicone glass alternative, which has made a big difference, and I'm using Creality filament too, which seems to be working well. What I've made for my desktop prop is a set of hollow 3d buttons that I can slip LEDs into. these buttons sit on top of normal push buttons which are held in a housing to bring the whole assembly together. It works nicely in tests. I do t have any photos with me right now, can send some tomorrow if you like. what I suggest in your case is to do something similar for the white buttons, but they won't need LEDs inside obviously. the gumdrop lights can be ordered easily enough within America, if you don't already have them I live in Thailand, so those things aren't really accessible to me here.

I have a Creality Ender 3, it works well enough, but I'd suggest a better model. I had to replace the bed overlay with a silicone glass alternative, which has made a big difference, and I'm using Creality filament too, which seems to be working well. What I've made for my desktop prop is a set of hollow 3d buttons that I can slip LEDs into. these buttons sit on top of normal push buttons which are held in a housing to bring the whole assembly together. It works nicely in tests. I do t have any photos with me right now, can send some tomorrow if you like. what I suggest in your case is to do something similar for the white buttons, but they won't need LEDs inside obviously. the gumdrop lights can be ordered easily enough within America, if you don't already have them I live in Thailand, so those things aren't really accessible to me here.
I just started my planning/searching stage about 2 weeks ago. still looking for sources for parts and plans. thank you very much for your help.

I just started my planning/searching stage about 2 weeks ago. still looking for sources for parts and plans. thank you very much for your help.
cool :)

check out this page, I haven't bought anything from him, he doesn't ship to Thailand, but I have used his products for reference purposes: Trekpropsandstuff.com

I've not built a captain's chair, yet, but I have built a of workstation based on various prop designs from the original series, which has required research and design to make it so... I have a video of the first stage of the build going live in a couple of hours if you're interested, here's a link to my YouTube channel: Creative Imagineering by David A. Moody

I'm making more videos on other stages of the build as I find the time.

cool :)

check out this page, I haven't bought anything from him, he doesn't ship to Thailand, but I have used his products for reference purposes: Trekpropsandstuff.com

I've not built a captain's chair, yet, but I have built a of workstation based on various prop designs from the original series, which has required research and design to make it so... I have a video of the first stage of the build going live in a couple of hours if you're interested, here's a link to my YouTube channel: Creative Imagineering by David A. Moody

I'm making more videos on other stages of the build as I find the time.
Thank you VERY much! I will definitely watch your videos. I love watching how to vids on YT. Have a great weekend.

Thank you VERY much! I will definitely watch your videos. I love watching how to vids on YT. Have a great weekend.
you might also like to check out this video from Adam Savage, he doesn't cover the furniture part of the build, but it's an excellent review of electronics for the chair:

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back