Why is IKEA so hard to deal with DETOLF shelf

Keithe's above post made me think, and I cleaned out a shelf for a quick test fit. Seems my memory failed me - a DP C/A fits height-wise...
but the door won't close. Cabinet ain't deep enough...

My mistake... sorry for leading you astray, folks. :$

Originally posted by SL3844@Dec 17 2005, 01:22 AM
Keithe's above post made me think, and I cleaned out a shelf for a quick test fit. Seems my memory failed me - a DP C/A fits height-wise...
but the door won't close. Cabinet ain't deep enough...

My mistake... sorry for leading you astray, folks.  :$
[snapback]1137655[/snapback]​

Thank you, friend; that's what my bride and I wanted to know. Reckon the IKEA folks won't make as quick a sell as they could have (with respect to a place to put MR ROTS Vader helmets....)

I know im like WAY super late on this, and I didnt read the entire thread. But I live in Houston and was about to head up to IKEA to get 2 of them. If you want I can help you out.

Ikea is the biggest "recaster" out there
They steal there designs from already made well design items and are even proud about it. But they sure don't make there items like the originals, they use "more affordable materials" blah
You get what you pay for with them. Cheap knock offs.

Originally posted by Skaught@Dec 15 2005, 09:32 AM
Ikea has never really been interested in being a mailorder company, so they don't put a lot of effort into it.  The way they design and package their items is to make mass shipping via a ship as cheap as possible, which is why everything is long and flat.  Long items are expensive to ship.

Hey, just be glad you're only 300 miles away.  Until they opened the Atlanta store this past summer, the closest ones to me were Washington DC and Houston.  I live in Florida.

Scott
[snapback]1136413[/snapback]​

Not true thats how they start out as "mail order catalog". Just a Wharehouse/factory then they slow open stores but mail order has always been the heart of there company. They are becoming the Wal-Mart of furnture to the world.

Originally posted by Megatron@Jan 30 2006, 09:36 PM
They steal there designs from already made well design items and are even proud about it. But they sure don't make there items like the originals, they use "more affordable materials" blah
[snapback]1172285[/snapback]​

Just curious... what did they replicate in order to make the Detolf? If something is better out there AND better and has the same, if not more functions, then I'd be happy to hear more. :D (I own 2 Detolfs and considering getting one more.)

Berry

In Glasgow, Scotland, at least, Ikea deliver the stuff themselves rather than using a courier orpostal service.

Whoever said they destroy seconds - Not true here. Hell, I've saved HUNDREDS of pounds by buying from the "Slightly damaged" section near the tills at my local branch.

The only thing that annoys me is that the seconds are fully assembled, and they will NOT keep them for you - Whether you pay up front or not. You must remove the item there and then. You can put it in a storage locker outside until you go pick it up if you like, though.

The Detolfs are great if you can get hold of them BTW...

Originally posted by trekkieb47+Jan 30 2006, 11:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(trekkieb47 @ Jan 30 2006, 11:07 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Megatron
@Jan 30 2006, 09:36 PM
[snapback]1172285[/snapback]​

Just curious... what did they replicate in order to make the Detolf? If something is better out there AND better and has the same, if not more functions, then I'd be happy to hear more. :D (I own 2 Detolfs and considering getting one more.)

Berry
[snapback]1172304[/snapback]​
[/b]
if your happy with what you got then no worries but if you study furnture design you will understand. They remind me of posters of famous paintings looks like what it is but if you see the orignal you would understand why it is the "orignal"

Originally posted by Megatron@Jan 31 2006, 10:06 PM
if your happy with what you got then no worries but if you study furnture design you will understand. They remind me of posters of famous paintings looks like what it is but if you see the orignal you would understand why it is the "orignal"
[snapback]1172861[/snapback]​

The "baby boomer" generation, aka "us" and the ones coming after us, live in environments that sometimes are completely furnitured (does that word even exist ?) by the elk.

If I look around in my 30sqm apartment I see :

- wooden sideboards IVAR, fronts covered by red and white curtains courtesy of Ikea
- plastic storage boxes mainly by Ikea
- curtains in front of the windows by Ikea
- desk by Ikea
- sofa/bed combination by Ikea
- bed sheets and covers by Ikea
- pillows by Ikea
- sideboard by Ikea
- four lamps by Ikea
- old glass/metal coffee table (more than 15 years old .) by Ikea
- Posters and paintings in frames by Ikea
- most cutlery in the kitchen by ikea
- most pots and pans by Ikea
- most glasses by Ikea
- most plates by Ikea
- moveable kitchen drawer container by Ikea
- almost all of the towels by Ikea (a few of them are the same make they use on the new BSG series ;) )

It is really tough to find something nicely designed and not too expensive. And despite the fact that IKEA copies designs, it is the only way for younger people to find something appealing.

It is very hard to find design furniture at moderate prices nowadays, and most larger furniture stores sell postmodern crap for housewifes with too much time on their hands.

What bothers me the most is the percentage of IKEA stuff you see in movies and tv series nowadays. It started with Babylon 5, where the IKEA stuff was integrated very badly, standing out too much. But that was when Ikea started to get big in the U.S.A., and already was big everywhere else.

There are three IKEAS in an area with a radius of around 50km where I live. There is no way you can escape Ikea :lol

Michael

Originally posted by ManfromNaboo+Jan 31 2006, 05:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ManfromNaboo @ Jan 31 2006, 05:43 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Megatron
@Jan 31 2006, 10:06 PM
[snapback]1172861[/snapback]​

The "baby boomer" generation, aka "us" and the ones coming after us, live in environments that sometimes are completely furnitured (does that word even exist ?) by the elk.

If I look around in my 30sqm apartment I see :

- wooden sideboards IVAR, fronts covered by red and white curtains courtesy of Ikea
- plastic storage boxes mainly by Ikea
- curtains in front of the windows by Ikea
- desk by Ikea
- sofa/bed combination by Ikea
- bed sheets and covers by Ikea
- pillows by Ikea
- sideboard by Ikea
- four lamps by Ikea
- old glass/metal coffee table (more than 15 years old .) by Ikea
- Posters and paintings in frames by Ikea
- most cutlery in the kitchen by ikea
- most pots and pans by Ikea
- most glasses by Ikea
- most plates by Ikea
- moveable kitchen drawer container by Ikea
- almost all of the towels by Ikea (a few of them are the same make they use on the new BSG series ;) )

It is really tough to find something nicely designed and not too expensive. And despite the fact that IKEA copies designs, it is the only way for younger people to find something appealing.

It is very hard to find design furniture at moderate prices nowadays, and most larger furniture stores sell postmodern crap for housewifes with too much time on their hands.

What bothers me the most is the percentage of IKEA stuff you see in movies and tv series nowadays. It started with Babylon 5, where the IKEA stuff was integrated very badly, standing out too much. But that was when Ikea started to get big in the U.S.A., and already was big everywhere else.

There are three IKEAS in an area with a radius of around 50km where I live. There is no way you can escape Ikea :lol

Michael
[snapback]1172884[/snapback]​
[/b]

The Wal-Mart of furniture but if you want to you can find the well designer furniture,
Estate sales, auctions, garages sales. That furniture is something that will go up in value and is made to top quality and materials. But it sounds like you collect IKEA.
It just irks me to see the Founder of IKEA saying he copies know designer furniture and then say how he has it made out of cheaper materials even after saying the Original is something that will be passed down in a family for generations.

I just got one the other day....and it looks fab. I would say that for the money...even $99 this makes even the most uninteresting props look really cool. Plenty of photo reference around the forum too for people wanting to see what stuff looks like in there...but it gets total thumbs up from this collector.

Are you serious? I can't believe they jacked up the price like that. I was going to get a few more last month but had no funds. :(

My new catalog still has them for $59.99 page 156. Prices good through June 2007. If they are higher in stores, do they do a price match if you bring your catalog?

There is more to it than just shipping cost.
Ikea is a Swedish/ scandinavian bussiness idea... Its is a fantastic idea in my opinion.

You tell me were can you go in the USA to pick up a furinture and take it home. Its not many places.
Usually you have a long delivery time. Also the items are not expensive. The quality is good but not fantastic but the price and design can hit all people of all kind.

Ikea intentions are to primary sell from store. The buyer goes in and picks the items up and drive away.
The expenses involved with people writing invoices, delivery scedual, information senter and exetra will add to the expenses. Were will they get these ektra expenses coverd? Its VERY logic and i have no problem understanding or acceppting the prices Ikea charges. It is just like it here in Scandinavia.

<div class='quotetop'>(TMP @ Aug 4 2006, 03:27 AM) [snapback]1293599[/snapback]</div>
You tell me were can you go in the USA to pick up a furinture and take it home. Its not many places.

[/b]

Do you even live in the USA?

I do and there are places all over the place around here where you can walk in buy furniture and take it home that second...

Lynn

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back