Why is IKEA so hard to deal with DETOLF shelf

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by replicaprops, Dec 14, 2005.

1. replicaprops

replicaprops Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So Im in Austin, which is 300 miles from the Houston IKEA, and I called to order a few DETOLF shelfs. You know, the $59 all glass shelf curio that makes your collection look like its in a gallery.
    [​IMG]

So the guy on the phone says, "sure we can ship that to you, just come in and pay for it and we will ship it to your house". WTF....

They will not allow me to pay over the phone.. I have to drive 300 miles to pay for something that I could just put in my car.

I said but you have online ordering, and he said ya but that ships from New Jersey and shipping is like hundreds for 3 shelfs.

OK rant over. I now welcome comments

2. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

That's retarded.

I'm going to Austin this weekend, but unfortunately I'm in a small car that's full.

FB

3. BlindSquirrel

BlindSquirrel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Before we got an Ikea here in Phoenix, I tried to order 2 two $7 table lamps and they wanted to charge me $30 for shipping. Do they use solid gold boxes hand delivered by Carmen Electra?.. WTF, indeed.

4. theotherbruce

theotherbruce New Member

those detolfs are real nice...been on the fence with getting a few

5. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

What if you had someone you know in Houston pay for you?

- Gabe

6. obi1kenny

obi1kenny Well-Known Member

Those boxes are f*ckin heavy, takes 2 people to carry one.

But they are sweet....

[​IMG]

7. tk421mv7

tk421mv7 Well-Known Member

It's a fact: IKEA shipping is absolutely insane.

I was in a similar situation trying to get their "Enetri" shelves. It cost more to ship it than the shelves themsleves. Luckily, I was able to drive to New Haven and pick them up as it was clearly a waste of money to make up for a 2-hour (round trip) inconvenience.

Bottom line... pick them up if at all possible.

8. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

There has GOT to be someone there we know you can send the money to and have Ikia ship them to you.

9. dalum

dalum New Member

$60 on their site. I paid like $75 to get it shipped to ohio. They use moving companies and these things are EXTREMELY heavy. I want 3 more and I'm thinking of driving 2 hours (one way) to pittsburg to pick them up with my dads truck.

10. trekkieb47

trekkieb47 Well-Known Member

If you are on the fence about getting a Detolf, I saw get off it already and buy one. I have two and they are perfect for display purposes. I am thinking about getting a couple more... but * those boxes are HEAVY.

11. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It is a well known fact that IKEA shipping is horrible. Always over priced. If you don't have one near you then you probably won't get anything from there, unless you want to pay those shipping prices. Luckily for me they just opened one in MA.

12. StefTrooper

StefTrooper New Member

I agree. These things weigh something like 2,000 pounds. Ok... I'm exaggerating, but it certainly felt like it.

13. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

Too right about the weight, they are heavy...but they look as good as they weigh. Get one...you will not be disappointed.

The shipping isn't too bad, despite the price of the item. When you think about it they still have to hire staff (usually 2) to personally drive to your house to deliver it, so despite an item being cheap, it can cost quite a bit to deliver it because they are not primarily a courier service, so their rates are not competitive. When I was redecorating I hired a van and went and bought EVERYTHING I needed, worked out pretty cheap that way, just make sure you know what you're getting first.

14. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

Im in NH and at some point the wife and I are going to go down there and look around.

15. Ghadrack

Ghadrack Sr Member

Yeah their shipping is crazy, if you live within a 2 to 3 hour drive of an Ikea it is worth the trip. I drove 120 miles to Atlanta to get mine, I picked up 6 of them in my Pick-up truck and gave four of them away as gifts, the four I gave away cost less than it would have cost me to buy two and have them shipped to my house.

At any rate, they are absolutely worth the money and look nice. They also sell lights $6.99 a pair that you can screw in to the top to have a nice lighted display.

16. StefTrooper

StefTrooper New Member

If you plan to put items in your display case that are valuable or made of plastic, you may want to opt for a xenon puck light. Those halogen ones can get really hot.

17. irishjedi

irishjedi Well-Known Member

They have new LED lights that are cheap and don't get so hot :)

Todd

harmfulAdam likes this.
  18. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Get yerself down the gym, Ken.

I can still carry on of these myself even in my deteriorating old age ;)

19. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

If you really really want one of these I can pick it up for you. I live about 5 min. away from the new Bolingbrook IL store.

The only thing is shipping. I have no idea what the cost will be. I'm also not sure if the box that it is packaged in is safe for shipping. It might need another box with more padding. I'd hate to ship it to you and you get a box of broken glass.

I just checked the website, here are the spec's for the box:
    Width:16 1/4"
    Height:3 1/4"
    Length:65"
    Weight:89lb

20. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Um. . . I'd pay $30 for that :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  21. Skaught

Skaught Sr Member

Ikea has never really been interested in being a mailorder company, so they don't put a lot of effort into it. The way they design and package their items is to make mass shipping via a ship as cheap as possible, which is why everything is long and flat. Long items are expensive to ship.

Hey, just be glad you're only 300 miles away. Until they opened the Atlanta store this past summer, the closest ones to me were Washington DC and Houston. I live in Florida.

Scott

22. replicaprops

replicaprops Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I guess I will have to make the drive. Just sucks that you can order everything these days but not from ikea

23. irishjedi

irishjedi Well-Known Member

Part of the reason they are so inexpensive is that they don't have a mail-order infrastructure. No costs to absorb.

Todd

24. saxe coburg

saxe coburg Sr Member

Just find yourself another prop collector in your local area and the two of you do a road trip, split the gas etc. That's what I do, we run down to Atlanta, buy a car load of the display cases and than drive home.

25. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Simple solution:
    1) get a one way flight to Houston.
    2) Rent a U-Haul truck.
    3) drive it to IKEA and buy a metric butt tonne of those display shelves.
    4) Drive it back to Austin, unlaod and return the truck there.
    5) Sell the extras to local collectors and so forth recoup your costs.
    6) Enjoy how cool your props look on display.

26. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

There's a new IKEA in Dallas which I think is closer to Austin than Houston(?) I can do the drive in about 2 hours.

It's in Frisco right off of the Dallas North Tollway.

Hope that helps...

Dan

27. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

The nearest one to me is Chicago, which is around 9 hours away. I could get one when I go there with my wife to visit her brother...but that only happens like, oh, once every three years. :(

28. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The closest one to me is 13 hours away. However, most of North America's IKEA furniture is made right here in sunny ol' Nova Scotia. A mere 3 hour drive. However, they do not sell in NS, nor do they have onsite sales either. Seconds? Not a chance. IKEA destroys all flawed merchandise... The * is that 20 years ago, Nova Scotia had one a the first few IKEA's in North America, but corporate decided that, even tho' it was a profitable store, it was too small of a market to justify a store. Closed. jerks.

Every now and then they have a flat ship rate event (everything for one price) up here. Everyone I know holds out 'til then ( I think its like $35 bux or something) and then mass orders. They do, however, let us order over the phone, over the 'net, via snail mail.

29. KillerKlown

KillerKlown New Member

The Detolfs are great... :D

[​IMG]

30. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, they are great. I'll have to get another one soon...

[​IMG]

31. forttusken

forttusken Well-Known Member

I've got 6 of them and would pick up a few more but since the house is filling up with them my significant other isn't too keen on more. They really are great. You can do so much with arranging them they are almost modular. If they had adjustable shelves they would probably be about perfect.

32. msmjr2003

msmjr2003 New Member

Good evening - new poster but not a new reader.

For those of you that have purchased this item...do you suspect that the "inbound" ROTS MR Helmet will fit inside the Detolf? Might make or break my purchase of the Detolf.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  33. ihs

ihs Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forums, though I'm a pretty new poster myself. :)

Regarding the helmet, are you talking about the Clone Helmet(s) or the Vader Helmet? As to the dimensions, I have a Detolf cabinet and the dimensions for each shelf are 14 1/2" wide by 15" tall by 13" deep. Hope that helps, and let me know if you would like any other measurements.

34. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

Ikea have always got high shipping costs, I know this very well since i live in Sweden :)
    But also... Sweden is a very small country compared to United states, but the shipping cost here is still the same.
    Its much easier to pick it up yourself, like other people said.
    rent a car and do a little road trip.
    Im gonna get one of these shelves too when i have something cool to display em in, Im not sure bat cowls will fit in em.

35. Jayrcee

Jayrcee New Member

Yeah, I was wondering myself if a fiberglass Vader helmet would fit in one of these DETOLF units. Anyone know?

36. msmjr2003

msmjr2003 New Member

Forgive me, I meant to clarify earlier. I meant to include "Vader" as part of my post. ROTS MR Vader w/ Stand will - if I'm not mistaken - sit relatively higher than many fan-made, full-size helmets on shorter stands.

Thanks again - Mike

37. noonch

noonch New Member

I have a pair of these cabinets, and just found out that they are just slightly too small for Sideshows line of 1/4 scale figures:

[​IMG]

38. mackerel moon

mackerel moon New Member

Hahhhhahaaahaahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahaaaahahahahahaaha...

:lol :cry

Let me one day bore you with the story of the kitchen I bought from IKEA. And the 5, yes 5, cracked, split, miscast or otherwise structurally unsound Domsjo porcelain sink units I had. (one didn't have the holes for taps cast in it. They told me that you get a drill kit...) And the damaged and warped oak worktops...

Off-topically yours

SimonC

39. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

I read through this thread twice and I guess Im missing this....

so what is the overall height of the cases? and how wide?

..........and on the note of cases, Im more inclined to get a locking museum case to slow up any five finger freaks.....anyone seen a good locking case that actually looks like a display case, lol

D

40. Gatekeeper

No - cabinet's not deep enough to handle a full-size Vader.
    [EDIT - erroneous statement withdrawn]

41. Keith

Keith Sr Member

My Ghost Host Vader won't fit. My Tie pilot and IRG helmets won't either.
    I have six of these units.

Keith.

42. Gatekeeper

Keithe's above post made me think, and I cleaned out a shelf for a quick test fit. Seems my memory failed me - a DP C/A fits height-wise...
    but the door won't close. Cabinet ain't deep enough...

My mistake... sorry for leading you astray, folks. :$

43. msmjr2003

msmjr2003 New Member

Thank you, friend; that's what my bride and I wanted to know. Reckon the IKEA folks won't make as quick a sell as they could have (with respect to a place to put MR ROTS Vader helmets....)

44. shortimer52

shortimer52 Well-Known Member

I know im like WAY super late on this, and I didnt read the entire thread. But I live in Houston and was about to head up to IKEA to get 2 of them. If you want I can help you out.

45. Megatron

Megatron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ikea is the biggest "recaster" out there
    They steal there designs from already made well design items and are even proud about it. But they sure don't make there items like the originals, they use "more affordable materials" blah
    You get what you pay for with them. Cheap knock offs.

46. Megatron

Not true thats how they start out as "mail order catalog". Just a Wharehouse/factory then they slow open stores but mail order has always been the heart of there company. They are becoming the Wal-Mart of furnture to the world.

47. trekkieb47

trekkieb47 Well-Known Member

Just curious... what did they replicate in order to make the Detolf? If something is better out there AND better and has the same, if not more functions, then I'd be happy to hear more. :D (I own 2 Detolfs and considering getting one more.)

Berry

48. Scapey

Scapey Sr Member

In Glasgow, Scotland, at least, Ikea deliver the stuff themselves rather than using a courier orpostal service.

Whoever said they destroy seconds - Not true here. Hell, I've saved HUNDREDS of pounds by buying from the "Slightly damaged" section near the tills at my local branch.

The only thing that annoys me is that the seconds are fully assembled, and they will NOT keep them for you - Whether you pay up front or not. You must remove the item there and then. You can put it in a storage locker outside until you go pick it up if you like, though.

The Detolfs are great if you can get hold of them BTW...

49. Megatron

if your happy with what you got then no worries but if you study furnture design you will understand. They remind me of posters of famous paintings looks like what it is but if you see the orignal you would understand why it is the "orignal"

50. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The "baby boomer" generation, aka "us" and the ones coming after us, live in environments that sometimes are completely furnitured (does that word even exist ?) by the elk.

If I look around in my 30sqm apartment I see :

- wooden sideboards IVAR, fronts covered by red and white curtains courtesy of Ikea
    - plastic storage boxes mainly by Ikea
    - curtains in front of the windows by Ikea
    - desk by Ikea
    - sofa/bed combination by Ikea
    - bed sheets and covers by Ikea
    - pillows by Ikea
    - sideboard by Ikea
    - four lamps by Ikea
    - old glass/metal coffee table (more than 15 years old .) by Ikea
    - Posters and paintings in frames by Ikea
    - most cutlery in the kitchen by ikea
    - most pots and pans by Ikea
    - most glasses by Ikea
    - most plates by Ikea
    - moveable kitchen drawer container by Ikea
    - almost all of the towels by Ikea (a few of them are the same make they use on the new BSG series ;) )

It is really tough to find something nicely designed and not too expensive. And despite the fact that IKEA copies designs, it is the only way for younger people to find something appealing.

It is very hard to find design furniture at moderate prices nowadays, and most larger furniture stores sell postmodern crap for housewifes with too much time on their hands.

What bothers me the most is the percentage of IKEA stuff you see in movies and tv series nowadays. It started with Babylon 5, where the IKEA stuff was integrated very badly, standing out too much. But that was when Ikea started to get big in the U.S.A., and already was big everywhere else.

There are three IKEAS in an area with a radius of around 50km where I live. There is no way you can escape Ikea :lol

Michael