Why is IKEA so hard to deal with DETOLF shelf

replicaprops

Official Licensee
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So Im in Austin, which is 300 miles from the Houston IKEA, and I called to order a few DETOLF shelfs. You know, the $59 all glass shelf curio that makes your collection look like its in a gallery.
20306_PE079916_S4.jpg

So the guy on the phone says, "sure we can ship that to you, just come in and pay for it and we will ship it to your house". WTF....

They will not allow me to pay over the phone.. I have to drive 300 miles to pay for something that I could just put in my car.

I said but you have online ordering, and he said ya but that ships from New Jersey and shipping is like hundreds for 3 shelfs.

OK rant over. I now welcome comments

Before we got an Ikea here in Phoenix, I tried to order 2 two $7 table lamps and they wanted to charge me $30 for shipping. Do they use solid gold boxes hand delivered by Carmen Electra?.. WTF, indeed.

It's a fact: IKEA shipping is absolutely insane.

I was in a similar situation trying to get their "Enetri" shelves. It cost more to ship it than the shelves themsleves. Luckily, I was able to drive to New Haven and pick them up as it was clearly a waste of money to make up for a 2-hour (round trip) inconvenience.

Bottom line... pick them up if at all possible.

$60 on their site. I paid like $75 to get it shipped to ohio. They use moving companies and these things are EXTREMELY heavy. I want 3 more and I'm thinking of driving 2 hours (one way) to pittsburg to pick them up with my dads truck.

If you are on the fence about getting a Detolf, I saw get off it already and buy one. I have two and they are perfect for display purposes. I am thinking about getting a couple more... but damn those boxes are HEAVY.

It is a well known fact that IKEA shipping is horrible. Always over priced. If you don't have one near you then you probably won't get anything from there, unless you want to pay those shipping prices. Luckily for me they just opened one in MA.

Too right about the weight, they are heavy...but they look as good as they weigh. Get one...you will not be disappointed.

The shipping isn't too bad, despite the price of the item. When you think about it they still have to hire staff (usually 2) to personally drive to your house to deliver it, so despite an item being cheap, it can cost quite a bit to deliver it because they are not primarily a courier service, so their rates are not competitive. When I was redecorating I hired a van and went and bought EVERYTHING I needed, worked out pretty cheap that way, just make sure you know what you're getting first.

Originally posted by MegaPrime33@Dec 15 2005, 12:08 PM
It is a well known fact that IKEA shipping is horrible. Always over priced. If you don't have one near you then you probably won't get anything from there, unless you want to pay those shipping prices. Luckily for me they just opened one in MA.
[snapback]1136348[/snapback]​

Im in NH and at some point the wife and I are going to go down there and look around.

Yeah their shipping is crazy, if you live within a 2 to 3 hour drive of an Ikea it is worth the trip. I drove 120 miles to Atlanta to get mine, I picked up 6 of them in my Pick-up truck and gave four of them away as gifts, the four I gave away cost less than it would have cost me to buy two and have them shipped to my house.

At any rate, they are absolutely worth the money and look nice. They also sell lights $6.99 a pair that you can screw in to the top to have a nice lighted display.

Originally posted by Ghadrack@Dec 15 2005, 08:24 AM
At any rate, they are absolutely worth the money and look nice.  They also sell lights $6.99 a pair that you can screw in to the top to have a nice lighted display.
[snapback]1136369[/snapback]​

If you plan to put items in your display case that are valuable or made of plastic, you may want to opt for a xenon puck light. Those halogen ones can get really hot.

Get yerself down the gym, Ken.

I can still carry on of these myself even in my deteriorating old age ;)

Originally posted by obi1kenny@Dec 15 2005, 05:28 AM
Those boxes are f*ckin heavy, takes 2 people to carry one.

But they are sweet....

[snapback]1136248[/snapback]​

If you really really want one of these I can pick it up for you. I live about 5 min. away from the new Bolingbrook IL store.

The only thing is shipping. I have no idea what the cost will be. I'm also not sure if the box that it is packaged in is safe for shipping. It might need another box with more padding. I'd hate to ship it to you and you get a box of broken glass.

I just checked the website, here are the spec's for the box:
Width:16 1/4"
Height:3 1/4"
Length:65"
Weight:89lb

Originally posted by BlindSquirrel@Dec 14 2005, 09:31 PM
Before we got an Ikea here in Phoenix, I tried to order 2 two $7 table lamps and they wanted to charge me $30 for shipping. Do they use solid gold boxes hand delivered by Carmen Electra?.. WTF, indeed.
[snapback]1136205[/snapback]​
Um. . . I'd pay $30 for that :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back