why everyone needs a Vinyl Cutter - X-Wing Build

Watson

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is the first time I have cut vinyl with this thing and man did it make my X-wing wing markers easy to do:
EdsWing086.jpg

EdsWing087.jpg

EdsWing088.jpg

EdsWing089.jpg

EdsWing090.jpg

EdsWing091.jpg

EdsWing093.jpg

Last edited:
Re: why everyone needs a Vinyl Cutter

I bought it over a year ago on (e)bay. I paid around $275 for it if memory serves. It is a US Cutter brand and you can find them by doing a "vinyl cutter" search on the bay.

G

just out of curiosity, why make those out of vinyl? Seems like you'd want something to cling to the crevices like painting and/or even decals?

Neat! Does it come with the software and everything? How hard is it to learn?

-Sarge

Those are nice but this isnt a sales thread, that sort of self promotion is what the junkyard is for. Besides, this is the 1/24 Studio Scale model so your templates would not work for this model.

As for the software:

The files were designed in Adobe Illustrator, but I have used Corel Draw with it too. You just create and cut, very simple to use.

G

Those are nice but this isnt a sales thread, that sort of self promotion is what the junkyard is for. Besides, this is the 1/24 Studio Scale model so your templates would not work for this model.

As for the software:

The files were designed in Adobe Illustrator, but I have used Corel Draw with it too. You just create and cut, very simple to use.

G

no offense intended. Even tho I've been a member here for a while, I'm still not authorized to post in the JY.

I merely meant to illustrate that the painting templates had already been done (but not in the scale you mentioned)

no offense intended. Even tho I've been a member here for a while, I'm still not authorized to post in the JY.

I merely meant to illustrate that the painting templates had already been done (but not in the scale you mentioned)

Sorry I see my words came out really snarky, that was not my intention. I think you do great work, I have your v2 templates for the PL refit and hope to someday use them :)

Greg

Well, a cutter can be used for any graphics, not just X-Wing templates. You can make your own car vinyls, plaques for props or use it for masking as shown above etc etc.

Thomas

So this thing is like a printer/plotter that cuts vinyl? Very cool... $275 id a little steep for how often I'd use it but its definitely got coolness factor to it!

Jedi Dade

i have long lusted after one of these. I am so happy to see the price dropping on them.
I love the paint masks you made, the X-Wing looks great!

Say HollywoodH, where is your avatar from?
Cool!

Say HollywoodH, where is your avatar from?
Cool!

That's "Kroenen" from "Hellboy" :)

I'm thinking one of these cutters would be great for making helmet decals and prop graphics "in-house". Also, I'd be able to make the Starfleet graphics for my Trans Sport a whole lot cheaper too! :D:thumbsup

-Sarge

Thanks for sharing your experience with the cutter!

I've been thinking about getting a laser cutter, but 10k for one

is too steep for me.

Two questions on your cutter:

So the UScutter is the recommended brand name?

How wide does it cut for the sub300 price?

As for the software:

G

Is the cutter showing up as a printer driver? Do you know if any application can output to it?

Bobby

Last edited by a moderator:

Is the cutter showing up as a printer driver? Do you know if any application can output to it?

Bobby

bobster,
in my case, the plotter doesn't show up as a printer. I also use Corel, but the plotter has it's own plug-in to work with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back