Why are Custom Commissioned Props so Expensive? The Answer is Below....

Too close for missiles, switching to guns...

Any other time and I'd give ya both barrels, kid. However, since you've been here all of 5 minutes, I'll spare you my resume and simply wish you the absolute best of luck.

Can't wait to see your work. Please share when ya get a moment. You're gonna do great, here! :thumbsup

Personally I think thats all good and well for Rylo to give that (what comes off as an arrogant) opinion, about someone he knows nothing about.

Granted, I know nothing much about Bill Doran either, but simply because the stuff you (Rylo) sell is expensive, doesnt mean its necessarily any better than someone who has a less established name or market, and cant get the money you apparently deserve.

Clearly other people feel this way, else why have so many given examples of how individuals have argued on price. Thats the point of this thread THAT IT DOES HAPPEN!

Your narrow minded approach, 'doesnt happen to me, so if it is happening to someone they must be either talent-less or making toys for children' is rude and self righteous.

Too close for missiles, switching to guns...

i applaud you for taking the high road sir ..........:thumbsup

mav3.jpg

top gun references never get old ...... but old maverick never would have let him go ya know ...hard deck be darned - he got old viper , yes he did - and ole' jester too !! .........anyways , was just sayin :cool.... LOL

YEE HAW !!! JESTERS DEAD !!
top-gun-goose-helmet-22.jpg

Last edited:
Haha. Well thats very 'kind' of you Rylo. For future reference, I dont need 'sparing' from your scary barrels.

The 'Kid' bit isnt necessary, unless youre a 58 year old sheriff, from a small county somewhere, in which case, I guess thats just how you usually speak. I find it disrespectful, and an example of yet another sanctimonious comment from you.
The length of my stay on one forum speaks nothing of me... well.... at all in fact. And the length of yours grants you no automatic respect. Its earned through showing others respect. Something Im yet to see from you.

I dont know anything about you but Ive very quickly formed an opinion (that could well indeed be changed with time, mind have you).
I dont need your 'resume', your work speaks for itself, but your skill doesnt prove anything about what sort of person you are.

Your pay check or how much more expensive your mill is doesnt automatically make you a person worth knowing, Im afraid.

But thats all off topic. The point I was trying to make (through a blind defence of someone I dont even know) is that the market extends beyond 'educated collectors' as you put it.
Sometimes its film makers on a tight budget, sometimes its younger people with a vision, sometimes its an avid fan that until now had only produced their own work and finally came accross a piece beyond their scope of abilities, sometimes its people just starting their collection. Im sure your 'educated collectors' had no idea what the value of any given replica/prop was when they began collecting, and were more than likely surprised at the cost.

The point is that, in general, people dont understand whats involved. Thats THE point of this discussion.

Food for thought, buddy. ;)

It was a comment on stereotypes there mate, but thats irrelevant.

Its kind of derailing what I believe to be a very important thread with information for members and guests alike. I didint post it to bicker, I posted it to provide a reference and some understanding for everyone whos willing to open their mind to it a little.

I admit I took the first swing, but that was as a direct result of close mindedness, in response to a comment that was either ill conceived or rudely constructed. Either way, I apologise to Rylo, in an attempt that this thread may continue sensibly.

My hope is that it may provide more useful information to others, potentially advice to those in this business, or those purchasing from these people. Even some tips and advice for helping to keep costs reasonable, or how to explain the costs to clients, etc.

That may be all well and good, your intentions that is, but you have to realize that their are members here who have been collecting and doing runs here for over 10 years, some longer.

To expect them not to put their 2 cents in or have the same opinion as you is well.... :facepalm

It was a comment on stereotypes there mate, but thats irrelevant.

Its kind of derailing what I believe to be a very important thread with information for members and guests alike. I didint post it to bicker, I posted it to provide a reference and some understanding for everyone whos willing to open their mind to it a little.

I admit I took the first swing, but that was as a direct result of close mindedness, in response to a comment that was either ill conceived or rudely constructed. Either way, I apologise to Rylo, in an attempt that this thread may continue sensibly.

My hope is that it may provide more useful information to others, potentially advice to those in this business, or those purchasing from these people. Even some tips and advice for helping to keep costs reasonable, or how to explain the costs to clients, etc.

Honestly, I feel that comment was unecessary and could very well have been sent privately to me if you wanted to convey something of use.

I assure you I am open to others' opinion. I merely (and needlessly as it turns out) took offence to a comment made by someone I didnt know, about someone neither of us knew. :wacko

Any issues have been resolved already and any misunderstanding......well....understood.

I welcome the opinion of senior (in stay that is, not a poke at age) members as of course they have a wealth of knowledge and experienced earned only through time in the business.

Its not that I expect them to have the same opinion as me, I expect them to realise that their opinion may be just that. And only that in some cases. Their people too after all.

Dont assume because youve been somewhere for 10 years that youre automatically right either.

Because that would be.....:facepalm

As someone who has been collecting Screen-used props as well as selling replicas for 30 years I may not have a wealth of knowledge but I do have a smidgen of it. ;)

Been around the block more times than I care to remember :lol

Am I correct that you do not know the person you have linked in the beginning of this thread?

You must have misinterpreted the statement you quoted.

I welcome your opinion, I just find it unecessarily distracting in what is intended as a sensible thread. That is why I said clearly that it could have been sent privately.

Regardless, the opinion you gave was not relevant to the topic. You merely took something personally (disrespect to a long time member like yourself) and made an equally personal comment, unrelated to the thread topic, towards myself.

I did a similar thing, which is what started this. And Ive only been here ''all of 5 minutes".

Perhaps there isnt as much difference between a new member and a senior one after all. :D

Thats just stirring. Dont read into it.

As for Bill Doran. Nope. Ive heard his name mentioned in Harrison Krix's Build logs, and Ive seen his website once, 3 days ago when I posted this thread. Why so mate?

- - - Updated - - -

I just thought what he had to say was relevent and useful to this forum. I was only trying to help out.

No worries I have not taken anything personally here just trying to help you out and understand why some of the older members here posted what they did as clearly you took offense to some of it.

Long time collectors or really anyone with any skin in the game knows whats up, the Video is a moot point.

As I posted earlier your intentions are good. :thumbsup

As far as Bill goes I would tell him not to quit his day job as other vets here including some in the Industry will tell you very very, VERY few make a living doing this.

You must have misinterpreted the statement you quoted.

I welcome your opinion, I just find it unecessarily distracting in what is intended as a sensible thread. That is why I said clearly that it could have been sent privately.

Regardless, the opinion you gave was not relevant to the topic. You merely took something personally (disrespect to a long time member like yourself) and made an equally personal comment, unrelated to the thread topic, towards myself.

I did a similar thing, which is what started this. And Ive only been here ''all of 5 minutes".

Perhaps there isnt as much difference between a new member and a senior one after all. :D

Thats just stirring. Dont read into it.

As for Bill Doran. Nope. Ive heard his name mentioned in Harrison Krix's Build logs, and Ive seen his website once, 3 days ago when I posted this thread. Why so mate?

- - - Updated - - -

I just thought what he had to say was relevent and useful to this forum. I was only trying to help out.

You might IF you don't mind living like a church mouse...

One other field that is very much like ours which I also am interested in is restoring old cars, customizing cars and Hot Rodding cars:
all which cost a lot of money OR your own time...

Sign in many speed/customizing shops: How fast do you want to go = how much money you've got to spend.

Where I live simple repairs cost $70.00 PER HOUR...custom work is double to triple that....

Rich

No worries I have not taken anything personally here just trying to help you out and understand why some of the older members here posted what they did as clearly you took offense to some of it.

Long time collectors or really anyone with any skin in the game knows whats up, the Video is a moot point.

As I posted earlier your intentions are good. :thumbsup

As far as Bill goes I would tell him not to quit his day job as other vets here including some in the Industry will tell you very very, VERY few make a living doing this.

I think he recently (6 months ago?) started full time as a business. Hope it goes well for him. :)

Dtailed, are you looking to go full time or just looking for someting to help offset your costs for your hobby? Just curious to know more as this thread can be helpful for others if we let it grow.

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. If a prop builder doesn't value his time from the very beginning, he only succeeds in letting his clients know that his time is worthless. Moreover, when an amateur works on the cheap in an effort to build a good name for himself, it de-values not only his/her work, but everyone else's as well.
I first learned about this as a commercial pilot. New pilots will pretty much work for free in an effort to build hours. Everyone gets hurt by the practice: even the new pilot.

I learned this as an artist; if you don't value your time, no one else will. Soon, you end up trapped doing favors for folks but not getting much if any payment. You have GOT to value your time and make sure you are paid for it. This is especially true with the tools and materials we are working with when making props and replicas.

You don't go to a 5-star restaurant and expect to get a Filet Mignon for McDonald's value meal prices....

I've done plenty of commission work (mostly illustrations, designing tattoos or band logos), but not professionally. I've been paid almost nothing to what amounts to a ridiculous amount for so much ink on a sheet of paper. In most cases, I just let the customer name their price, or gently steer them toward a price that seems reasonable. The truth is, I don't think I've ever lost money. Sure, I couldn't live on it, but it is a hobby after all. Regardless of what you think your time and effort is worth, occasionally you'll have to cater to someone who doesn't hold your talents in such high esteem. You can simply refuse to do business with them, or consider the possibility that you are charging too much. If you only sell within the community where everyone appreciates your product's supposed worth, that's one thing, but the whole world isn't going to think the sun shines out your backside and everything your produce is pure gold. Plus, outside of the film industry, the props and replicas we produce are things that nobody genuinely needs. So, I guess, you can charge whatever you want, and you'll get what you deserve.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back