Why are Custom Commissioned Props so Expensive? The Answer is Below....

Hey Apollo. I guess the fact that it was his video is a plug to begin with, of sorts.

A few posts back someone, cant remember who, posted a link to his concept Space Gun thing. I guess thats one too.

Unless you mean that Volpin should have given him one also. You'll have to ask him about that.

Its not really about Bill though. Anyone else could have made the same or similar video. Id have provided that instead, assuming I came across it.

Perhaps you just mean to say he derserves one because I used his video.

In that case, Thanks Bill Doran of Punished Props. Apparently (if you watched the video) hes starting commissions soon. Google him and you might line yourself up with a quality custom replica.

But remember folks, these pieces cost a fair bit. If youre surprised by just how much.......

Theres a video at the start of this thread.

Itll set things straight for you. ;)

There you go!!! :lol

On a side rant don't you just hate cheap people though?

:lol C'mon you know you do, hell we all do! :lol

Its not really about Bill though. Anyone else could have made the same or similar video. Id have provided that instead, assuming I came across it.

Perhaps you just mean to say he derserves one because I used his video.

Haha. :D Something im sure everyone can agree on.

Of course there will always be those stiffs who wont part with their cash for anyone because they honestly dont believe the artist deserves it. Sometimes people are just frugal. Most of these people wont ever change their minds.

Like I said though, if I can open even one buyer's eyes with this thread, then, Success!

The video absolutely belongs here. To suggest that the entirety of the membership understands the relationship between price and quality is a bit naive. I have turned away several commissions because, in the eyes of those potential clients, my pricing was too high for them. Producing a high-quality leather commission isn't cheap, and I'm not willing to skimp on quality or short change myself.

Producing a high-quality leather commission isn't cheap, and I'm not willing to skimp on quality or short change myself.

Amen to that! I started out working mostly in leather and plaster casts. But that was 13 years ago. My custom coat was $1200 in materials alone...wholesale...13 years ago. Now calculate for inflation....

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

I'm not willing to skimp on quality or short change myself.
This. Anyone looking to make a name for themselves should remember that anything they send out will have their name attached to it FOREVER. The last thing you want is people saying "Yeah, he's done some good stuff, but he's done some crud too.".

Actually, the last thing you want is people saying "Stay clear, he sucks", but that kind of goes without saying!

Maybe Apollo might have thought you would say "Oh yes I know Bill ect ect"? I've followed your work Volpin and Punishedprops for a little while, it's not some big conspiracy that you guys know each other, I think it's good you two knock around.

But back on topic, if you do get an interested party how have you all gone about payments? Do you get it in full or in part sums? I know that from my experience getting customers to pay any bill is a right ******* of a thing (not props related).

I kind of thought that was more or less clear when I said "...Bill and I were having a discussion the other day..." in my first post. He and I are in somewhat uncharted waters here, making a living off videogame props on the internet. We talk a lot about what directions to go in and how to run our businesses. That said we're both very different in how we approach this whole thing, but the foundations are similar.

If I'm dealing with a private client I tend to take commissions in thirds. 1/3 up front to reserve a spot and draft up plans, the second third when the build starts, and the last one plus shipping costs when the project is complete. Nothing ships until it's fully paid off.

Corporate clients are different and will typically have their own pricing structures. I work with a lot of videogame companies and their affiliate ad agencies and sometimes they're okay with doing the thirds, sometimes they prefer to pay everything once the project is finished. Just make sure to have everything in writing - both for your sake and the clients' as well. I have a massive contract I send out before I take anyone's money - it outlines project timetables, things like repairs, shipping, damages, international import fees, etc etc. Nothing should be assumed in a business transaction on the part of either participant.

The one thing I would disagree with in Bill's video is the final cost change. When I provide an estimate the cost can be variable, but once the project begins the price is set and the only additional cost is shipping, packing materials and insurance. If I screwed up the estimate, that's on me and I don't think it's a good idea to tack on any additional fees if I didn't budget the project correctly. Again, personal preference, but it's the way I do business.

For some reason I get the impression that you feel like I'm attacking your thread's worth. I promise that's not the intention at all. Honest. :)

You brought this to a forum of your peers and we, as peers, have weighed in on it as well using our experiences and failures. This is the audience you've attracted with your thread.

So when you say things like...

As i said, its not really my concern why he made his video, or what his intended audience was.

or

The video isnt aimed at prop builders. They know these things.

You have to have already known that that's exactly where you placed this video. In the lap of builders (or at the very least, the people who comment or post content here regularly enough to click on a thread that isn't build related). Which is why when you made this statement

Its aimed at consumers. So the point is... ' This is why its so expensive'. Nothing more than that. Its as if a few of you are trying to read something more into it.

I had something I felt needed to be added.

This is a forum of people who build stuff. Or are looking to build stuff. Or are searching for ideas on how to build stuff. Sure, there's a For Sale section, but unless someone happens into a specific thread outside of the Junkyard via the search function and asks the builder if they intend to release a run of whatever they are going to make, it's mostly just guys and girls making stuff and sharing it with the world in the hopes that either they will get the praise or the critique they need to improve themselves and their craft.

The people that should really be commenting here are the cosumers saying ' oh, ok, now I see'. It may not change their mind about making a purchase, but at least they can watch the video and realise the circumstances. It saves the Prop builder the time in explaining something he shouldn't have to explain.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with the purpose of the video. I do think its a great little explanation on all the little things that make the price of something trivial add up to what seems like a small fortune (which is why I drew the Mercedes parallel)...

The biggest reason for that is those people aren't coming in to this sub-forum looking for threads explaining "why is that thing I want so expensive to make?".

My point is simply, the audience you're attempting to attract with your original post is the ;tldr crowd who aren't going to search for a thread that tells them their dreams are more costly than they anticipated. Adding this to the forum won't stop lowballers or looky-loos who are going to balk at fair prices for a quality product.

Does that clear it up? I'm not saying you posted something worthless, just that for the people who are going to take the time to watch it via this thread, its nothing prop builders don't already know or have had to deal with themselves.

This video isnt for you. Thats why you dont see the value.

Of course I can see the value. However...You brought this to a forum of people who are, for the most part, completely understanding of what the video is conveying. Again, that's the only real thing you and I seem to be in disagreement on.

My counter point to your original statement after the thread blew up of

Didn't think that video would get this kind of a response!
Its great though. The reason I put it up was to see what people's reactions were... /snip

Because after everyone started making their assessments and statements to the original video, you got a little but upset with anyone who didn't share your enthusiasm over the video.

How about you look at the world from someone elses point of view for 5 minutes. You'll be astonished at what youd see, if id hazard a guess.

No truer words have ever been spoken. ;)

Bottom line, had the video contained some content on giving new prop builders a fairly decent or more universally accepted method of pricing their wares, I would have sung it's praises from the highest flying buttress. But that's not what it was created for or intended to do. It's sole purpose is to help someone understand that custom = costly.

I think the idea that the video get stickied in the JY is fantastic. That's where it will probably do the most good and find it's target audience within this site.

More great responses from you guys.

Hi Bayouwolf, I thought we were hopefully past the nitpicking part of this thread, but thats ok, Im happy for you to pose things to me that youre uncertain of.

You commented on how I said the video wasnt aimed at Prop builders and how thats whos most likely to see it here. Well thats true. But I said 'the video' wasnt aimed at prop builders, i didnt meant that 'the thread wasnt able to be commented on by prop builders'. I wasnt ruling that out, haha, obviously.

Youre saying how I was upset that some others werent showing my enthusiam. Youre damn right. Thats exactly how i felt. I posted something, which initially received a decent amount of interest from people with positive things to say, in a friendly and helpful manner. I thought I had achieved something useful for a greater good, by bringing people together on a single topic, in agreeance. I guess when people started being negative it brought me down. Ill admit that. And I understand that there are always going to be negatives to any given point. Its not all kittens and lollypops, I just hadnt prepared myself for the negatives and felt they werent a necessary part of a friendly discussion. When of course I should have realised they are.

If so many others hadnt agreed prior, the negativety mightnt have mattered as much to me. I felt it was wasting a chance to dicuss something I thought was important. Thats all I can say, really.

And perhaps the Junkyard is a better place for this to be, I agree. However I didnt think that it would immediately have been accepted their by admin and so I put it in the next most reasonable location I could think of. I apologise if this is the wrong place.

I know you say that I brought it to a forum where peope mostly understand this, but those people still felt they should speak up and agree with it. I feel that somehow proves there was worth in posting it.

We all know that a machined replica sonic is cool and something worth praise. Should we just not bother showing it because, in general, everyone agrees its cool already?

I agree with you Kevin Gossett. Thanks

Also, Volpin, that seems like a good system you have. If someone were to suggest paying in smaller increments, would you entertain the idea?

Ill have a look at your link Pippspriller, as Im sure others will.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back