Question Why am I being spamed by the RPF when I log on? (answered)

DARKSIDE72

Sr Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Why am I being spamed by the RPF when I log on?

Because this site that you have been a member to for nearly a decade isn't free for the people who run it. Showing a little support and going through their link so that they can make a little money isn't a bad think. You don't like Sideshow? Click on the red X and move along.

Well spoken:thumbsup

Because this site that you have been a member to for nearly a decade isn't free for the people who run it. Showing a little support and going through their link so that they can make a little money isn't a bad think. You don't like Sideshow? Click on the red X and move along.

Clicking the x makes it go away but it comes back. But i have no problem at all with this, if it helps support this great site which i live on 24/7 , ive never bought from sideshow but i own second hand many of there products that u just cant find anywere else...

Clicking the x makes it go away but it comes back. But i have no problem at all with this, if it helps support this great site which i live on 24/7 , ive never bought from sideshow but i own second hand many of there products that u just cant find anywere else...

It only comes back if you log out. I haven't seen it since I logged in and I've closed my window several times. Unless I missing something.

i never log out but i close the page and get it every two or three times i open it, but like i said it doesnt bother me in the least!

Thanks for the support guys.

First, this isn't "spam" and it is silly to try to paint it as such. Second, it was brought to our attention by a number of MEMBERS that very few people seem to 1) know about and/or 2) understand our affiliate program with Sideshow.

One of the things we have recently come to realize is that there are a number of features this site offers that members aren't utilizing or don't know about... one of those being the Sideshow affiliate account and since our hosting plan just increased by over 50% we pushed out the Sideshow information first.

As stated in the thread linked to the notice, we know members are buying a lot of Sideshow pieces and would appreciate their support by purchasing through the link on the RPF as it is a way they can give back to the site without having to actually donate any money directly to the site, and in these pressing economic times, that is a very cool and frugal way to give!

Future installments will have information about other features of the site which aren't financially based like uploading attachments, private messaging vs visitor messaging, etc.

In fact, if you have a suggestion for a feature you would like to see us share with the community, please PM me with details!

Also, it is cool to see that click-throughs to Sideshow for today are 3 times the average. While the site doesn't make anything on a per-click basis, it still shows that you guys are listening and doing your part and for that we are appreciative!

It only comes back if you log out. I haven't seen it since I logged in and I've closed my window several times. Unless I missing something.

Just for clarity on what is happening here, with a notice (which is what you are seeing) we have 4 options, to make it Persistent or not and to make it Dismissible or not.

• If we make it persistent the notice will be shown repeatedly on every page during your visit.
  • If we do NOT make it persistent the notice will be shown only once per visit to each user.
  • If we make it dismissible there is a red X in the upper right corner so you can close the notice (although it autocloses on its own once you move to another page.
  • If we make it not dismissible the red X disappears.

While we are still testing this delivery system, at this point we have it set to NOT be persistent and to be dismissible, the most unobtrusive settings.

Sideshow makes some great replicas!!! Unfortunately for me all the things i want are out off stock lol

Is there a way to make it so that it only appears after you log in? I only see it before I log in, where it greets me as "Unregistered", and it strikes me as kinda tacky for non-members to be hit up for support money.

Good call on the greeting for unregistered members. It is tacky that there is no name for them.

In regard to "hitting them up for support money" you are a bit off the mark. No one is asking for money, either from members or non-members. We are only asking that viewers of this site (member or non-members) utilize the Sideshow link available IF they want to buy something from Sideshow as it helps support this site without requiring them to spend any additional funds.

By limiting messages of this type to members only, we are essentially eliminating 1/3 to 1/2 of our viewing audience... and what would really be tacky is having to come grovelling to the members for donations to keep the site open instead of taking small steps like the Sideshow notice to make the site a bit more self-sustaining.

Again, this is something we will continue to tweak and work on as we go forward, so keep the suggestions coming.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back