Announcement Why a Dredd sub-forum?

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
For decades, our hobby has focused on a very small number of franchises (Star Wars, Aliens, Star Trek, etc), but as attention spans grow shorter, we have seen a marked shift in our hobby towards a trend/fad/seasonal based fandom in which a franchise is hot today and gone tomorrow. This forum is a testbed to see if we, as a community can/should support this type of trending fandom.

Before I go any further, let me go ahead and address what is on many of your minds. Why not Iron Man? Admit it. That is what you were thinking. There IS a very good reason why not. Unfortunately, I am not going to talk about it and will only say, we feel your pain, but we will not make an Iron Man forum. I am sure, if you give it some thought and consideration, you can imagine why...

With the Iron Man issue addressed, you are probably wondering why, of all the popular franchises that our members have a passion for, we have chosen to focus on Dredd. The primary reason is that we see it is a pretty hot topic here and a large number of RPFers are involved in a group costume build of the Judge uniforms from Dredd. They already have a 150+ member following on Facebook, yet Facebook doesn't provide the kind of robust platform for building costumes like a forum does. As I mentioned earlier, we are creating this as a temporary home for that group as well as anyone interested in the Dredd franchise (comic books, Stallone movie, new movie) to see if having its own forum, even on a temporary basis while the subject is hot, generates more involvement and better serves our members.

As the interest in movies like this have an expiration date, so too will this forum. At the end of 2013, based on traffic, we will evaluate whether to keep this forum longer, or whether to disband it and move the content from it back into our costuming and prop forums.

If we see that this forum fails from the get-go, we may dissolve it at any time.

Re: Why Dredd?

This is a bit strange, IMO. Are we likely to see a SW area, or a ST area, or a LotR area in the future?

It's just that the rest of the site is general: Replica Props (from ALL movies) Replica Costumes (from ALL movies) Costume Showcase (from ALL Movies)... and then Dredd Costumes (this one really specific movie). It just doesn't line up quite right with the rest of the site, honestly. Everything else is very open-ended, but this is, well, bizarrely segregated.

I don't much care one way or the other, it's just that I'm surprised this showed up.

This is a bit strange, IMO. Are we likely to see a SW area, or a ST area, or a LotR area in the future?

It's just that the rest of the site is general: Replica Props (from ALL movies) Replica Costumes (from ALL movies) Costume Showcase (from ALL Movies)... and then Dredd Costumes (this one really specific movie). It just doesn't line up quite right with the rest of the site, honestly. Everything else is very open-ended, but this is, well, bizarrely segregated.

I don't much care one way or the other, it's just that I'm surprised this showed up.

I understand why this seems strange as it is certainly something new and a departure from our typical approach. I want to remind everyone, this is NOT an effort to declutter the site, but to serve a segment of the membership in any area that is hot right now and will serve their costuming needs. It is also important to remember this is a test to see if this type of approach serves our members in the way we hope it will.

I assume that because there are so many Dredd related posts right now and very few people have completed costumes this is a way to contain it all in one section. Star Wars and LOTR have been around for 35 (Star Wars) to 58 (LOTR) years so there aren't 150 people scrambling to put a Darth Vader or Gandolph costume together but there are at least that many doing something Dredd-related, especially with SDCC and DragonCon right around the corner.

I assume that because there are so many Dredd related posts right now and very few people have completed costumes this is a way to contain it all in one section. Star Wars and LOTR have been around for 35 (Star Wars) to 58 (LOTR) years so there aren't 150 people scrambling to put a Darth Vader or Gandolph costume together but there are at least that many doing something Dredd-related, especially with SDCC and DragonCon right around the corner.
cause noones doing iron man for example :)

cause noones doing iron man for example :)

True, but in all fairness the Iron Man movie came out in 2008...Dredd 3D is only 5 months old and there's a DragonCon group trying to organizing a large (at least 60) squad of Judges for the Con. :unsure

Last edited:

Putting everything in one sub forum is a good idea but a slight improvement could be to change the title to cover the diversity between different projects.

True, but in all fairness the Iron Man movie came out in 2008...Dredd 3D is only 5 months old and there's a DragonCon group trying to organizing a large (at least 60) squad of Judges for the Con. :unsure

True....Oh wait...Iron Man 2 came out in 2010. And Avengers in 2012. And Iron Man 3 in 2013.

It's not like it's all over the forum or something either.

True....Oh wait...Iron Man 2 came out in 2010. And Avengers in 2012. And Iron Man 3 in 2013.

It's not like it's all over the forum or something either.

Exactly, Iron Man IS all over the forums, which is part of the reason it isn't being separated. It would be a major project to move all of them. The Dredd section is fairly early in the costume boom it is creating, it is simply too late for the Iron Man boom.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back