Who owns the original screen worn Darth Vader ANH costume?

It probably doesn't exist. Parts of it were likely used in promotional costumes, and parts may have been upgraded/altered and used in the later movies.

In one of the podcast episodes of "The Stuff Dream are Made of", one of the hosts mentioned he was bidding on a Darth Vader helmet in an auction a few years back, and later found out the other bidder was Paul Allen. That little tidbit made the rounds in past months, and might be what the recent mention of Allen was from. Otherwise, Paul Allen passed away in 2018. I'm not sure what the status of his collection is now.

[edit]: Some googling turned this up: “Out of this World” Original Movie Prop Exhibit at The California Museum – High Resolution Photography

So it looks like Paul Allen had a mix of components on the costume that was assembled (at least, as of 2009).

The original ANH face mask is owned by a French guy who released a book on his props a couple of years ago. It's a beautiful book. Other parts have turned up refurbished depending on what/who you believe.

Attachments

• IMG_4758.JPG
    IMG_4758.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_4759.JPG
    IMG_4759.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,111
The screen used gloves were auctioned off in 2019 or 2020 if I remember correctly. They were in the possession of Bryce „Kermit“ Eller, who toured with the screen used ANH costume until it got replaced with a Farmer ESB costume. The gloves were in pretty bad shape from touring.

One can only speculate about where the rest of the costume pieces have gone. The chest armour might have been repainted and used in ESB. The leather belt (with new boxes) turned up on ESB as well.

In one of the podcast episodes of "The Stuff Dream are Made of", one of the hosts mentioned he was bidding on a Darth Vader helmet in an auction a few years back, and later found out the other bidder was Paul Allen. That little tidbit made the rounds in past months, and might be what the recent mention of Allen was from. Otherwise, Paul Allen passed away in 2018. I'm not sure what the status of his collection is now.

[edit]: Some googling turned this up: “Out of this World” Original Movie Prop Exhibit at The California Museum – High Resolution Photography

So it looks like Paul Allen had a mix of components on the costume that was assembled (at least, as of 2009).
Paul Allen owns a screen used ESB stunt helmet which he won at a Profiles auction many years ago if I remember correctly.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back