Who is your favorite Doctor Who?

I will say that while I love some of the "classic" Doctors, I generally far prefer the pace of the 2005 and beyond episodes. Some of the older stories seem to be padded more than the world's most obnoxious bean bag chair. Consider the Davison Doctor story "Earthshock" -- in the entire first installment, almost nothing happens. Certainly whatever of consequence that is in that first part could easily have been accomplished in about three minutes of screen time.

This is the curse of older Dr. Who. I was rewatching "Invasion of Time" yesterday and it just gets dragged out two episodes longer than it needed to be after the main threat is solved and then another tacked on the end (Sontarans, again!), and those two final episodes were thirty minutes each of the cast running around an abandoned hospital that's being used as the bowels of the Tardis. Not in a creative way, mind you, it was black garbage bags over the windows and clonking around hallways. For 30 minutes. Until the Doctor makes a ray gun to kill the Sontarans in two. Some of the serials at this time are pitch perfect, and then there are some that are really just there to cut to down on production budgets and fill a time slot.

Although, with Nu Who, I will say that is one draw-back I definitely think hinders it sometimes: it moves too fast sometimes and doesn't let anything develop. It's a pick-your-poison type of situation. I prefer the slower nature of the early series where atmosphere and tension can be built, rather than the glossy, flash-bang, flashcard cues of Nu Who. That's just me.

Is it too much of a distraction to ask who's your favorite companion?

Last edited:
This the curse of older Dr. Who. I was rewatching "Invasion of Time" yesterday and it just gets dragged out two episodes longer than it needed to be after the main threat is solved and then another tacked on the end (Sontarans, again!), and those two final episodes were thirty minutes each of the cast running around an abandoned hospital that's being used as the bowels of the Tardis. Not in a creative way, mind you, it was black garbage bags over the windows and clonking around hallways. For 30 minutes. Until the Doctor makes a ray gun to kill the Sontarans in two. Some of the serials at this time are pitch perfect, and then there are some that are really just there to cut to down on production budgets and fill a time slot.

Although, with Nu Who, I will say that is one draw-back I definitely think hinders it sometimes: it moves too fast sometimes and doesn't let anything develop. It's a pick-your-poison type of situation. I prefer the slower nature of the early series where atmosphere and tension can be built, rather than the glossy, flash-bang, flashcard cues of Nu Who. That's just me.

Well, Sarah Jane Smith ranks highly. I'd probably have to give the nod to Amy Pond, though, especially given I'm an absolute sucker for redheads and Karen Gillan is an exceptionally stunning example thereof.

I just did a search online for "Amy Pond" because I wanted to make sure I was spelling "Gillan" correctly, and I discovered that Caitlin Blackwood, who played the young Amy Pond in the character's very first appearance and a few times in later episodes, has grown up to become a dead ringer for adult Amy as well. See for yourself.

Wow.

SSB

Well, Sarah Jane Smith ranks highly. I'd probably have to give the nod to Amy Pond, though, especially given I'm an absolute sucker for redheads and Karen Gillan is an exceptionally stunning example thereof.

I just did a search online for "Amy Pond" because I wanted to make sure I was spelling "Gillan" correctly, and I discovered that Caitlin Blackwood, who played the young Amy Pond in the character's very first appearance and a few times in later episodes, has grown up to become a dead ringer for adult Amy as well. See for yourself.

Wow.

SSB
The 2 of them are related, though they had never met. which is why she got the part as young Amy.

This the curse of older Dr. Who. I was rewatching "Invasion of Time" yesterday and it just gets dragged out two episodes longer than it needed to be after the main threat is solved and then another tacked on the end (Sontarans, again!), and those two final episodes were thirty minutes each of the cast running around an abandoned hospital that's being used as the bowels of the Tardis. Not in a creative way, mind you, it was black garbage bags over the windows and clonking around hallways. For 30 minutes. Until the Doctor makes a ray gun to kill the Sontarans in two. Some of the serials at this time are pitch perfect, and then there are some that are really just there to cut to down on production budgets and fill a time slot.

Wha-wha-wha-WHAT?!?!

When Leela drops a Sontaran with a chucked dagger to the back o da NECK, I was *IN*!!!!

Crappy special effects aside, green-screened shower curtains accepted, that show was the hottest thing since sunburn!

Wha-wha-wha-WHAT?!?!

When Leela drops a Sontaran with a chucked dagger to the back o da NECK, I was *IN*!!!!

Crappy special effects aside, green-screened shower curtains accepted, that show was the hottest thing since sunburn!

Don't get me wrong, I love Leela, she and Romana I are my favorite companions of the Baker era (Sladen is a given, of course), but her outing in that was a bit of wet squib for me. She stays on Gallifrey with Andred all of a sudden, and half of the serial she's somewhere else away from the Doctor guarding someone or just hanging with somebody. I love Leela the most when she is riffing with Baker, her straight-forward, brutish-but-effective solutions to everything clashing with the Doctor's more convoluted but peaceful plans. Compare her here to that of "Curse of Fang Rock" or "Talons of Wang-Chieng," their chemistry pops and fizzes, and she's actually got stuff to do!

Don't get me wrong, I love Leela, she and Romana I are my favorite companions of the Baker era (Sladen is a given, of course), but her outing in that was a bit of wet squib for me. She stays on Gallifrey with Andred all of a sudden, and half of the serial she's somewhere else away from the Doctor guarding someone or just hanging with somebody. I love Leela the most when she is riffing with Baker, her straight-forward, brutish-but-effective solutions to everything clashing with the Doctor's more convoluted but peaceful plans. Compare her here to that of "Curse of Fang Rock" or "Talons of Wang-Chieng," their chemistry pops and fizzes, and she's actually got stuff to do!
I could never like Leela.. and maybe it's a stupid reason, but Sara was flat told she couldn't go to Galifrey because no outsiders were allowed. Yet, a handful of episodes later he takes Leela with no explanation or rationale for why it's now allowed.

The Doctor saw potential in Leela, and she was the ewok taking down the Empire while the guys who had mastered time-travel stood in their urine and watched.

I feel like Baker's Doctor took her under his wing to watch her max out her potential or guide her on her way further up.
Like a parent teaching their kid independence. She found a sweetie. I was happy for that. Unexpected, I agree.

Romana, Lalla, was getting freaky with Tom, so, yeah, they are gonna have chemistry. Mary Tamm was all business, very dry.

I could never like Leela.. and maybe it's a stupid reason, but Sara was flat told she couldn't go to Galifrey because no outsiders were allowed. Yet, a handful of episodes later he takes Leela with no explanation or rationale for why it's now allowed.
Well, the Doctor and Sarah became an item.
I think the Doctor knew not to take Sarah to Gallifrey.
Sarah, in his heart, should end up on Earth.
As for Leela, the universe was the limit. And not to say one is better or worse than the other. Not where Sarah or Leela wanted to be, but where the Doctor felt they should end up.

Not fair either.

Not at all - a great question, although one I’ve not put a lot of thought into.

I’m partial to Ramona 2, but mostly because I really like Destiny of the Daleks.

I’m actually a big fan of Ace. I like the almost fatherly (or strange uncle) mentor relationship the Doctor had with her.

Sarah Jane had such a presence on screen, so she’s tops as well.

From the newer seasons, I’d pick Clara Oswald because Jenna Coleman is an absolutely lovely woman.

Not at all - a great question, although one I’ve not put a lot of thought into.

I’m partial to Ramona 2, but mostly because I really like Destiny of the Daleks.

I’m actually a big fan of Ace. I like the almost fatherly (or strange uncle) mentor relationship the Doctor had with her.

Sarah Jane had such a presence on screen, so she’s tops as well.

From the newer seasons, I’d pick Clara Oswald because Jenna Coleman is an absolutely lovely woman.

can only disagree about clara...maybe it's Moffatt's massive obsession with her and basically make the doctor her companion...it started off well, but man did it crater.

I don't know how many companions there have been but i can't think of many i'd rate lower.

can only disagree about clara...maybe it's Moffatt's massive obsession with her and basically make the doctor her companion...it started off well, but man did it crater.

I don't know how many companions there have been but i can't think of many i'd rate lower.
Oh, I think I’ve only seen one episode with her in it. I was just saying she was a lovely lady. ;-)

Oh, I think I’ve only seen one episode with her in it. I was just saying she was a lovely lady. ;-)

I whole-heartedly agree. Best looking companion of the new series by leagues.

Unfortunate that she just overstayed her tenure; "Impossible Girl" is right in that it was impossible to get rid of her. There was a point where there were literally no more stories to tell with her seeing how incredibly important they made her, even overshadowing the Doctor, and she still stayed on even after having three full-on "exiting" stories written for her back-to-back.

I’m torn. My favorite Doctors are. Tom Baker, Matt Smith, Chris Eccleston.

My favorite TARDIS team is, 1st Doctor, Ian, Barbara, Susan.

My favorite TARDIS team is, 1st Doctor, Ian, Barbara, Susan.

I also have a fondness for the first crew. It was possibly the first and last time the companions actually felt like they were fully grown adults. What a pity they never did any more pure "historical" stories after the first series.

He wasn't a companion but one of my favorite secondary characters in all the series is the Brigadier.

Tom Baker was, is and always will be THE Doctor.

The Hair and the scarf are iconic. Dress up as almost any of the others and most people wouldn't recognise you but that curly hair and long scarf are instantly recognisable even outside of general nerd culture (Davison may get a nod because of that flippin celery but still... Baker is IT).

Then I think it goes to David Tennant. There was just something about his charm and character, he really brought life to the role

Pertwee gets a nod for being kind of cool and most of the older series Doctors get nostalgia points but I can't imagine re-watching too much of the older stuff - they were awesome at the time, but my tastes have changed since I was a kid.

I have a soft spot for Eccleston for being the first of the new Doctors, and for giving the character a darker, more "broken" spin.

I really didn't like Matt Smith when he started but he grew on me quickly and I really like him now. He evolved the Tennant version of the character into a new, more sarcastic direction.

Capaldi always grated but I just barely managed to slog through his rendition. The new chick? urggh, a couple of episodes and I was done. She and the showrunners and writers almost killed Doctor Who for good.
There's a VERY good reason they're bringing Tennant back - trying to wipe away the stain of the last few years and revive flagging interest in the show. It's blatant but it might be the only thing that saves it.

I quite like McGann - The US Movie is something of a guilty pleasure to watch - so weird, and yet also, strangely it still kind of works for the franchise. And he did a bang-up job when they brought him back for that one episode. And John Hurt was fun. The whole War Doctor storyline was great.

Tom Baker. I grew up watching repeats of him. He really is Doctor Who to me. Everyone else just feels kind of off and I recognize that its simply because I grew up on Baker. Romana is my favorite companion by far, for the same reasons.

Tom Baker.

Accept for 3 episodes with Tennant, 1 of an early guy (not sure of who it was, think he drove car and worked with the military) and the Peter Cushing movie, Tom's the only one I've seen.

John Pertwee was my Dr growing up... so many classic stories and I loved his velvet smoking jackets, very dapper.
Tom was great,met him once.
Then there's the New Who's
Chris brought him both back and made him successful..
DT was a crazy energetic clever loon..but he was Our Family Dr Who, we all watched it as we did with the equally Amazing Matt Smith.

A shout out for Alex Kingston as the perfect SPOILERS River Song, that story Arc was both wonderful tearful and raucous fun to watch and took the good Doctor stateside too..
Oh I loved the two Peter Cushing movies too,camp as hell but it was the 60s and a completely different Dr all round.

My fav I guess is The Doctor, they are in essence "A bit of a mixed bag" but always entertaining..

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back