Where to Start?

Captain Kokomo

Hello,
Just like every other newbie I am interested in starting a project.
I love Ironman and have already made an EVA helmet a few years ago. It wasn't too bad but definitly not a great piece.

My question is, where do I start? where do I get plans? I just signed up today and am overwhelmed with thousands of different forums about thousands of different projects. I would love to make a MK 3 or 4 suit as they seem easier than the more elaborate ones but I have no idea where to get plans and how to scale it to my body size.

Any advice at all would be great, even directions to the right forum would be awesome as there are way to many to sift through with half finished wips and never completed projects.

Thank you kindly

I too started a few months ago I have spent hours upon hours watching YouTube videos and reading this site and trying things.. I have 4 eva ironman helmets under my belt. Last one is. Waiting on sanding and paint.. And now I've switched it up to pepakura and have 80%of a right arm folded and glued.. Many people will tell you that the most important thing to do is to get doing... Try things out, practice different ways
I've found some great YouTube links that helped me learn about the process. And now I'm trying it. I'm usually the fail upwards type lol failure is always an option just learn from it

Thanks for the info. I have had a look at pepukura, I was worried that whatever I made would be too thin and fragile. That's why I made my eva helmet.

I know there are plenty of pepa files out there but is it strong enough?

No it isn't.. Ad paper only.. And you need to use like 100lb paper.. I use 110lb paper...

But there are next steps about fiberglass etc.. Again a bunch of great YouTube videos. one guy cerealkiller did some great. Videos. Not high on production value.. But big on content.

Welcome aboard,Cap (and Monkey) !

Try the JfCustom's foam files thread for starters:

JFcustom's FOAM files

Iron man files on page 1.

And the Pepakura Question thread:

The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST!

And any other completed project by anyone would contain a treasure of information to get started.I myself am still working on my first costume after having been a member for four years,and yes: it has been trial and error.Three attempts later I am now working on my fourth torso.Having to shredd and recycle my previous three was tough,but I saved material and gained experience,so I'm cool with that.Essentially you have to teach yourself with the guidance your 'predecessors' offer you in the form of build threads,youtube videos,photos and if you're lucky: the right files for your project.

Having been a member here for so long has been an immense pleasure and honour (and I haven't even built anything yet).Prepare yourself for loads of fun,but also ocassional disappointment and frustration.It depends on how bad you want your suit to be realised.Looking forward to both of your projects!

I agree there. It's heartbreaking to spend x number of hours cutting out a piece assembling it only to realize you scaled it wrong.. But learn from it and move on.
For working with foam check out punished props and evil Ted on YouTube GREAT information available there.

First, welcome to the forum! The resources mentioned above are all amazing, but you could also check out XiengProd. IronMan Foam Armor TEMPLATES

His foam templates are simple and easy to print, construct. He also has step by step video tutorials for most of them. The main thing is, start with the basics, get your cutting and shaping down and then move on to fine detail.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back