Where to go to learn how to make Casts?

Toaster

I have seen tones of people make casts of their props so they can be more easily reproduced and I want to learn how to do this. The hard part is I have searched all over the internet and I have had a hard time finding a good starting point. So if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great! Also if this is in the wrong section I am sorry, had a hard time deciding where this would best fit.

Thank you that really helped! Now my only other question is it possible to make a thin plastic shell of the master prop and filling it with a cheaper material to save money or would making it hollow be okay? Reason being is because I might want to cast a decent sized gun prop and it would probably cost a lot if I didn't make it hollow.

Once you have made a Master mold to make your Castings (Copies) from, you can do a brush up layer (Skin coating) and fill the inside with lightweight Rigid Polyfoam.

Thank you that really helped! Now my only other question is it possible to make a thin plastic shell of the master prop and filling it with a cheaper material to save money or would making it hollow be okay? Reason being is because I might want to cast a decent sized gun prop and it would probably cost a lot if I didn't make it hollow.

Absolutely, Propsculptor is correct. Some advice, though, don't get too crazy with your first projects. Start small, some open-faced molds, perhaps some simple two-piece molds, then expand from there. Diving into something like a full-sized prop gun will probably cause you a lot more frustration than anything else.

Many people have this preconceived notion that you can drop anything into rubber and cast a copy. In truth, you have to break the model down into castable components, being mindful of undercuts and things that could cause potential damage to your molds.

Then you have to consider either vacuum or pressure casting to ensure you remove or minimize air bubbles from your process.

A lot of things to consider and learn, but anyone here who casts will tell you that pulling that first perfect part from the mold is still a rush - no matter how many times you've done it.

Jeff

As stated, best thing you can do is start small. I wasted an entire gallon of rubber on my first prop and it came out like crap. Read about some short cuts and tips before you start. I kept having airbubbles in my resin and then I read to cover the mold in baby powder. Works like a charm!

Take your time and START SMALL.

So what about small like a just cast of a Halo Plasma Pistol, would that be something to big to start on? Something in the shape of this
http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/toys/detail-page/B00158V32K-2-lg.jpg
As it was going to be a surprise gift for a friend but I would like to have a cast so if I ever wanted/needed to make more I could. If not what are some other things that might be better to start with that a film maker might find useful as a prop?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back