Where do I get a Denix Mauser in Canada?

TFrosst

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It seems almost impossible to find one. Does anyone have any idea where I'd be able to pick one of these up?

The good thing is that it technically is a replica of an antique firearm under Canada's laws making it completely legal. As long as a gun was made before 1898, it's an antique here. Seeing as the broom handle started being made in 1896, it's all good

It seems almost impossible to find one. Does anyone have any idea where I'd be able to pick one of these up?

The good thing is that it technically is a replica of an antique firearm under Canada's laws making it completely legal. As long as a gun was made before 1898, it's an antique here. Seeing as the broom handle started being made in 1896, it's all good

PM sent.

By total fluke I've managed to get 2 in through customs over the years. Unless you know someone across the border, but they can't be taken apart easily so they would have to be brought over in 1 piece. Take a chance and don't declare it? Looking back, I have no idea how I was lucky enough to get them through ok.

By total fluke I've managed to get 2 in through customs over the years. Unless you know someone across the border, but they can't be taken apart easily so they would have to be brought over in 1 piece. Take a chance and don't declare it? Looking back, I have no idea how I was lucky enough to get them through ok.

Horseshoe up your bum... Clearly. :lol

Horseshoe up your bum... Clearly. :lol

Must be. Maybe the customs guys were snoozing when my packages went past them. I can only hope. That means there's a chance it could happen again. Why they wouldn't allow WW2 German replicas is beyond me. Who the hell is going to commit a crime using a 70 year old model of a gun. Wouldn't it be easier for some punks to paint a basic BB gun? The law regarding banned replicas is pretty crazy.

Must be. Maybe the customs guys were snoozing when my packages went past them. I can only hope. That means there's a chance it could happen again. Why they wouldn't allow WW2 German replicas is beyond me. Who the hell is going to commit a crime using a 70 year old model of a gun. Wouldn't it be easier for some punks to paint a basic BB gun? The law regarding banned replicas is pretty crazy.

Actually, the C96 was developed in 1896 and wasn't in common use during WW2. Used extensively during WW1 and immediately after though. ;)

I got mine off of Ebay and they sent UPS, then I had to pay duties:( but at least I manged to get a favored gun. Might convert it to a Han Solo blaster:thumbsup

Oh and by the way, my Mauser had its barrel canted to the left slightly with no sign of marring to the finish, I attributed this to Denix' poor quality standards and to the fact that other replicas I bought by them had similiar defects, do your guns have any warps or casting irregularities?

Yeah, at least one of mine has a slightly canted barrel, but to my eyes, nothing significantly noticeable, other than they are clearly Denix:lol

One of them I got through was marked as a 'Star Wars toy' and that was a fan-build up with all inaccurate DL-44 parts, so that is the one I'm going to use for kit being 'run' by Kpax & Deadbolt. I opted for the the all steel version.
The other Mauser I have is brand new, like you said, got them both off Ebay.

I actually have lots of Denix replicas and they are all Western guns, Henry rifle, Winchester, Colts, S&W Schofields. Given the price point, they're the closest replicas I know of, without of course getting a PAL license then buying real ones. I do plan to get my PAL... eventually, unless the laws change before then.

I would LOVE to get the Denix Colt Python 2.5" snubnose revovler, but that is banned also.

Andrew, we totally need to get some silicone and see if we can cast my real C96 without hurting it...

Then we could try cold cast metallic mausers. :)

I'm down with that. If we used the right silicone, picking off the excess silicone shouldn't be too bad, worst case it can be field stripped for a deeper cleaning.

We can do a test with one of my denix revolvers.

You know me, I've wanted to try making a mold.

I'm down with that. If we used the right silicone, picking off the excess silicone shouldn't be too bad, worst case it can be field stripped for a deeper cleaning.

We can do a test with one of my denix revolvers.

You know me, I've wanted to try making a mold.

Depends on how detailed we want to be. Ideally I'd like to be able to pull the trigger so we'll probably be stripping it anyway. My big concern is that the silicone doesn't hurt the finish on the gun. It's all original and almost pristine.

Old thread but thought I would add was hoping to get one of Bobadebts Accutized Mausers to build a ANH version and was told by the boarder agency that it would be seized at the border what a joke :angry

Old thread but thought I would add was hoping to get one of Bobadebts Accutized Mausers to build a ANH version and was told by the boarder agency that it would be seized at the border what a joke :angry

depending where you're at, you could always send it to a states addy and bring it back yourself (what I do).

Never been asked, but I'm sure if you did get checked, it would be pretty easy to get it through being it's just a model... filled barrel

I've just had my second one seized by CBSA. They even seized the custom machined parts, now seem to have 'lost' them. I had to request a President's Review.

I am currently in the US, and will be heading back to Canada on Monday with a Denix Mauser, and Webley.

I have been reading a lot of information, and as per usual with government documents, they are confusing and annoying. However...

Here is the RCMP page on vintage guns.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/antique-historique-eng.htm

It goes on to describe what is a vintage gun (Mauser is considered vintage), and the regulations regarding owning one. At the bottom, there is a section about replicas of vintage guns, which reads:

[h=2]Replicas of Antique Firearms[/h]Although replica firearms are made to look like the original, they are distinct from reproductions or antiques. Replicas look the same, but are different because they cannot discharge projectiles at all, or can discharge only harmless projectiles. (Devices that discharge projectiles that can cause serious bodily injury are not replicas).

Replicas of antiques are not considered firearms.

So...according to this, replicas of antiques are not considered firearms, and therefore should be perfetly legal under the law. Great!

Unfortunately, as with most things, it isn't that clear. On other RCMP firearm pages, it states that any firearm that represents a real gun, is prohibited.

So, what does this mean for my boarder crossing? I am going to print the page stating the Mauser and Webley are replicas of vintage guns and if they ask, I will put up a minor argument. What that means for shipping....well, I think that is at the discression of customs. I suspect you could order a Mauser to Canada, and sometimes it would arrive, sometimes not.

The nice thing is that they aren't very expensive, so not a risky loss. That said, if you do a web search, there is a store in Victoria that sells Denix. I live right by there, and have been in the store, and they indeed do carry some. It might be worth sending them and email and asking them if they can order in a Mauser. Since they do more cross border ordering, they might have less issues with confiscation. Worth a try...

That said....

Caveneau,

I was a make-up FX/prop maker in Vancouver for seven years, so I know it is possible to cast a gun without damaging it. The trick is using the right products, and knowing how to make proper molds. Perhaps we should have a discussion about how to do that.....I am sure there are many of us Canadians that would be more than happy with a genuine Mauser in resin.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back