Where can I find styrene

goodjared

I just started building a life size Buzz Lightyear. I’m making the top chest piece out of foam core and covering it with styrene. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can get large sheets of styrene?

Attachments

• 5EB7B318-FEC8-47B9-9DFE-E0264ECC5B2D.jpeg
    5EB7B318-FEC8-47B9-9DFE-E0264ECC5B2D.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 92
I just started building a life size Buzz Lightyear. I’m making the top chest piece out of foam core and covering it with styrene. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can get large sheets of styrene?

It probably would help if you would tell us where you live, unless you like road trips. The obvious answer is check Google for HIPS. High Impact Poly Styrene.

TazMan2000

You could always try searching on Amazon and/or eBay, both will probably have styrene available. Then, as TazMan2000, there's always the good old fashioned Google search.

Most hobby shops have the Evergreen scale models brand, which normally comes in the 6" X 12" of different thicknesses.
Bigger sheets can be found/ordered, but are going to cost more.

Try this if you live near one of their facilities. Huge styrene sheet 4 ft x 8 ft for $25. Different thicknesses available. If you order online, you can pick up on site. Shipping is ridiculously expensive though. The material is called HIPS.

HIGH-IMPACT STYRENE - (HIGH IMPACT STYRENE) Sheet - Order Online https://www.professionalplastics.com/HIPS-HIGHIMPACTPOLYSTYRENESHEET?
That would have been helpful when I made my Agents of Shield logo last year, as I ended up combining 2 of those 6x12 inch pieces. Bigger would have looked better, although probably even harder to get it just right.
The normal large styrene sheets I looked at, around 24 x 24 inches cost over $100.

I am lucky to be near Professional Plastics headquarters. They have a huge facility in Southern California. They are a wholesales outfit but I have had no problem picking things up from them. The HIPS is no different from the Evergreen stuff. It cuts, snaps, paints the same. My scratch built Blockade Runner is made from this stuff. I cut a huge sheet into 2ft x 2ft pieces. I have a lot left over. Mailing is ridiculously expensive - otherwise I would offer to send out to those who want some.

I'm thinking it was the mailing part that did cost so much.
If only you could email it and have it actually be there physically......guess that would be 3D printing, which defeats the whole purpose anyways.....

If you go to your local hardware store you may find yard signs "For Sale, parking". These are usually made out of Polystyrene and come in various thicknesses
I checked my local office supply store, they had heaps of signs, but they were all that soft, bendy plastic, not styrene. polyvinyl or something. that stuff that nothing will glue to.

I would look for a plastic supply store near you. I live close to a Taps Plastic and you can usually buy whatever size you need up to about a 4x8ft sheet or cut to whatever size and it's a lot less expensive than buying smaller sheets from a hobby shop.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back