where can i buy backer rods and upholstery foam?

berserk wolf

After reading Keefer's "Modifying a Rubies mask" huntorial, I've been wondering, where can I even buy backer rods and upholstery foam? Is it at llike Home Depot and Lowes?

most fabric places sell it. I bought some for outdoor seats. mold and mildew proof, and dries out quickly. something you need if this is going in your mask.

After reading Keefer's "Modifying a Rubies mask" huntorial, I've been wondering, where can I even buy backer rods and upholstery foam? Is it at llike Home Depot and Lowes?
You can buy backer rod at Home Depot. It's grouped together with weatherstripping and similar items. It's the same aisle as water heaters, mailboxes, and for-sale signs. I don't know how those items really go together, but that's the way they do it.

You can get upholstery foam at most fabric stores. If you have a Jo-Ann Fabric near you, then they should have it. There are also some specialty foam stores out there, like A-1 Foam and Upholstery on Lyndale Avenue. Oh, wait, you're nowhere near Bloomington, so you might have to look for something closer.

You can buy backer rod at Home Depot. It's grouped together with weatherstripping and similar items. It's the same aisle as water heaters, mailboxes, and for-sale signs. I don't know how those items really go together, but that's the way they do it.

You can get upholstery foam at most fabric stores. If you have a Jo-Ann Fabric near you, then they should have it. There are also some specialty foam stores out there, like A-1 Foam and Upholstery on Lyndale Avenue. Oh, wait, you're nowhere near Bloomington, so you might have to look for something closer.

Haha! You're right I'm not near Bloomington! XP Well, I havta check my Home Depot near my house for the rods and thE Jo-An's near my place.

Thnx, Todd.

-Marvin

yea please let me know to beserk I already checked at my home depot and lowes and they had backer rods but only the half inch huge ones that were way to wide maybe i looked in the wrong section but I was upset I couldnt find backer rods locally and btw I am doing the same rubies mask thing as you so if you find where they are located please post back on here!
Thanks!

Hi there elkman! I went to home depot to get some, but they were all white. I tried to paint them too, but the paint chipped off also. Would you happen to know where I could get some black backer rods? I don't know any places and I don't think home depot sells it in black.

Thanks,
Wolf177

Hi there elkman! I went to home depot to get some, but they were all white. I tried to paint them too, but the paint chipped off also. Would you happen to know where I could get some black backer rods? I don't know any places and I don't think home depot sells it in black.

Thanks,
Wolf177
There are some tutorials on here about thickening up and painting your backer rods using Plasti-Dip (also known as "death in a can" from all the nasty chemicals they use). I think if you go through one of those tutorials, the base color shouldn't matter so much. I though the color of those backer rods was sort of gray, unless the manufacturer has changed their formula.

I still haven't figured out why Home Depot puts the weatherstripping materials in the same aisle with water heaters, mailboxes, and garage sale signs. It's like their miscellaneous aisle or something.

you can find a "thicker" selection of backer rod online. the home depot ones were too skinny when i tried them. some i believe had some different types of flexibility too. but i myself gave up on making dreads lol

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back