What's your favorite blaxploitation film?

Yeah, my friend has a bunch of these.
I like Shaft--Can ya dig it.......
and Black Moma, White Moma--Pam Greer did a lof of those movies.....
Cotton Comes to Harlem--Red Foxx, he's a classic!
and I don't know if this one is in the genre, but The Wiz--Ease on down, ease on down, ease on down the road.........
we really do need a musical notes icon.....

Shylaah

Last edited by a moderator:
the-mack-poster.jpg

Sometimes sarcasm doesnt quite read as such over the internet, so I'm going to assume youre joking. Obviously Beverly Hills Cop was a big budget studio picture. I would assume that most people know just because a movie stars a black guy doesnt make it "blaxploitation".

If you like Pam Grier, "Sheba Baby" is another good one. Netflix seems to have a decent selection. We also check out the cheap bins, especially at KMart. They seem to have good collections for fairly cheap.
Last night, I watched "Bucktown", starring Pam G AND Fred Williamson. Carl Weathers even had a small role, as did that older guy who seems to play the chief of police or the business man villain role in a bunch of blaxpoitation films.

Man, movie posters used to be soooooo much better! I hate this "slap two actors' faces on it with a title" lazy photoshop crappola.

Pam Grier - COFFY

Pretty good stuff!

ea2ac515-564c-4659-9d37-994d17498b2e

Check your 5 and Below. We were shopping at King of Prussia mall yesterday and we got a copy there. They also had Disco Godfather, but we already have that one. I'm going to look at the stores near me to see if they have any other titles!

Check your 5 and Below. We were shopping at King of Prussia mall yesterday and we got a copy there. They also had Disco Godfather, but we already have that one. I'm going to look at the stores near me to see if they have any other titles!

King of Prussia Mall!!! Lois, you're making me homesick! And making me hungry for soft pretzels, Butterscotch Krimpets, and *real* pizza...not the crap they try to pass off as pizza out here in Whale's Vagina. lol :thumbsdown

Btw, you didn't even comment on my last post. The Blackstar Warrior trailer! I figured you'd especially get a kick out of that.

The Wook

I've watched most of that. Talk about low budget! That is often considered to be the first blaxploitation film.

I love how hardcore it is. It doesn't... exactly.... invite white audiences in...like Shaft does. I don't think Peebles wanted white audiences to feel comfortable watching this movie. It's like entering a ghetto, this film, for a white audience. You're not gonna feel comfortable, and I like that. And the last scene is practically a call for revolution. Now that's not something I'd condone, but I do admire the sheer ballsy anger at the black
situ circa 1970 that Peebles puts up on the screen. I've not seen every blaxploitation movie but I suspect this is the darkest and angriest, and most serious. And the low budget helps, I reckon; gives it a real documentary feel.

But I do love the lighter stuff too, Shaft, Cleopatra Jones etc., and the soundtrax are invariably absolute dynamite. Speaking of which, I have this amazing, long Isaac Hayes track called Pimpmobile, but can't find what movie it's from. Anyone know?

My favorite blaxploitation film is one that was never made. It was called Blackstar Warrior, and inspired Lucas to make Star Wars. All that survives of this early 70's project is this trailer.

BLACKSTAR WARRIOR TRAILER!!! - YouTube

The Wook

Btw, you didn't even comment on my last post. The Blackstar Warrior trailer! I figured you'd especially get a kick out of that.

The Wook

It was cute, but I was expecting something using real clips of Lando from the SW movies. Also, the video clearly says that it was made to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Empire. Wasn't sure if you hadn't noticed that or if you were joking.

I love how hardcore it is. It doesn't... exactly.... invite white audiences in...like Shaft does. I don't think Peebles wanted white audiences to feel comfortable watching this movie. It's like entering a ghetto, this film, for a white audience. You're not gonna feel comfortable, and I like that. And the last scene is practically a call for revolution. Now that's not something I'd condone, but I do admire the sheer ballsy anger at the black
situ circa 1970 that Peebles puts up on the screen. I've not seen every blaxploitation movie but I suspect this is the darkest and angriest, and most serious. And the low budget helps, I reckon; gives it a real documentary feel.

But I do love the lighter stuff too, Shaft, Cleopatra Jones etc., and the soundtrax are invariably absolute dynamite. Speaking of which, I have this amazing, long Isaac Hayes track called Pimpmobile, but can't find what movie it's from. Anyone know?

I also think that Van Peebles was trying to something no one had ever done before. I don't know if anything like it was filmed before, but it's considered to be the first of the genre.
The thing that made me uncomfortable was the first sex scene. I'm sure you know why. I think I watched about half of it, but I just couldn't get into the rest of it. I might give it another try some other time.
Fun fact: Van Peebles got VD from one of the women in the movie. He got Workman's Comp and used it to buy more film to continue the production.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back