What's your favorite blaxploitation film?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Bizarro Lois, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

I first got interested in this genre after seeing Pam Grier in "Jackie Brown", then going out and getting a copy of "Foxy Brown". While waiting for "Black Dynamite" to come out on DVD, I watched it again, and started looking for similar movies. That's what led me to classics like "Shaft" and "Superfly", plus some I had never heard of before, like "Black Caesar". I've seen a few more with Fred Williamson, who I really like.
    Is anyone else into this genre? What's your favorite?

2. mbmcfarland

mbmcfarland Sr Member

Superfly is my favorite. Another one I like that you didn't mention is Cleopatra Jones.

3. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I have no "favorite" in the sense that I like them, but for pure campy goodness, my vote goes to "Blacula."

4. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

5. DeLucks Designs

DeLucks Designs Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For me, it's hands down "I'm gonna get you Sucka.....". I LOVE that film, and there are some unbelievable actors in it.

I will watch anything wayans though.

Second place would have to be "Hollywood Shuffle".

6. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

DAMMIT ya beat me to it! :lol

Bit of trivia- "Blacula" was played by Star Trek alumni William Marshall (aka Dr Richard Daystrom TOS "The Ultimate Computer").

Kevin

7. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

Black Belt Jones - the meanest, baddest * to ever hit the silver screen!

8. jasonw2112

jasonw2112 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well they sure did make alot of them! So far I would have to say "Boss Nig.."( that is the real movie title! I swear! ) If you look it up on Amazon, its under "Boss". It's actually a pretty good movie! Than there is "The Mack" which stars Richard Prior. "Car Wash" is a pretty good one, alot of nice classic, Funk music! There are a bunch of good cheesy one's, I just can't think of the titles.

Oh! There is a Horror Hound convention coming up in March, in Columbus, Ohio. Pam Grier is one of the guests! I'm going!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  9. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

My vote goes for Blacula as well.

10. DocTony

DocTony Well-Known Member

Not sure if it qualifies being TV and all but how about COPS?? :)

11. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Check out some of Rudy Ray Browns Dolemite series.

He never got his due imo!

12. cayman shen

Uh...seriously? Awkward...:confused

13. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

14. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dolemite.
    Can you dig it?

"Man, move over and let me pass 'fore they have be to pullin' these Hush Puppies out your mother******' *!"

15. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

My favorite blaxploitation film is one that was never made. It was called Blackstar Warrior, and inspired Lucas to make Star Wars. All that survives of this early 70's project is this trailer.

BLACKSTAR WARRIOR TRAILER!!! - YouTube

The Wook

16. TD443

TD443 New Member

Black Dynamite then Blacula

17. wannab

wannab Sr Member

I'm stickin' with Shaft and Superfly.
    Man I could do a wicked double entendre there. lol

Doug

18. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

Thanks for the suggestion! That's one I need to see.

I saw a movie poster for that and it looks awesome.

I haven't seen any of the Dolemite series, but I watched "Disco Godfather" the other night and he's the main character. Black Dynamite was heavily influenced by it too. You can pick out a lot of scenes that are similar.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  19. Apollo

:lol "Watch this good s***!" :lol

20. Apollo

"Disco" is in the Series.

I like the older ones he did though, "Human Tornado", "Dolemite", and the classic "Petey Wheatstraw".

And yes Black Dynamite was a loving Valentine to Rudy!

21. Shylaah

Shylaah Sr Member

Yeah, my friend has a bunch of these.
    I like Shaft--Can ya dig it.......
    and Black Moma, White Moma--Pam Greer did a lof of those movies.....
    Cotton Comes to Harlem--Red Foxx, he's a classic!
    and I don't know if this one is in the genre, but The Wiz--Ease on down, ease on down, ease on down the road.........
    we really do need a musical notes icon.....

Shylaah

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  22. Robert412

Robert412 Well-Known Member

My college room mate went on a blacksploitatuon spree. The one I remember most is "the spook who sat by the door."

23. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

24. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Well-Known Member

Beverly Hills Cop

25. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sometimes sarcasm doesnt quite read as such over the internet, so I'm going to assume youre joking. Obviously Beverly Hills Cop was a big budget studio picture. I would assume that most people know just because a movie stars a black guy doesnt make it "blaxploitation".

26. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Well-Known Member

Glad you could read through the lines. :)

27. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

If you like Pam Grier, "Sheba Baby" is another good one. Netflix seems to have a decent selection. We also check out the cheap bins, especially at KMart. They seem to have good collections for fairly cheap.
    Last night, I watched "Bucktown", starring Pam G AND Fred Williamson. Carl Weathers even had a small role, as did that older guy who seems to play the chief of police or the business man villain role in a bunch of blaxpoitation films.

28. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

Sweet Sweetback's Badasssssssss Song.

29. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

I've watched most of that. Talk about low budget! That is often considered to be the first blaxploitation film.

30. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

YES! Also the lead actor was a character in a Star Trek episode which is always is a plus for me, lol

31. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

Pam Grier - COFFY

Pretty good stuff!

[​IMG]

32. cayman shen

Man, movie posters used to be soooooo much better! I hate this "slap two actors' faces on it with a title" lazy photoshop crappola.

33. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

Check your 5 and Below. We were shopping at King of Prussia mall yesterday and we got a copy there. They also had Disco Godfather, but we already have that one. I'm going to look at the stores near me to see if they have any other titles!

34. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

King of Prussia Mall!!! Lois, you're making me homesick! And making me hungry for soft pretzels, Butterscotch Krimpets, and *real* pizza...not the crap they try to pass off as pizza out here in Whale's *. lol :thumbsdown

Btw, you didn't even comment on my last post. The Blackstar Warrior trailer! I figured you'd especially get a kick out of that.

The Wook

35. Colin Droidmilk

Yeah, poster artists used to work for their money.

36. Colin Droidmilk

I love how hardcore it is. It doesn't... exactly.... invite white audiences in...like Shaft does. I don't think Peebles wanted white audiences to feel comfortable watching this movie. It's like entering a ghetto, this film, for a white audience. You're not gonna feel comfortable, and I like that. And the last scene is practically a call for revolution. Now that's not something I'd condone, but I do admire the sheer ballsy anger at the black
    situ circa 1970 that Peebles puts up on the screen. I've not seen every blaxploitation movie but I suspect this is the darkest and angriest, and most serious. And the low budget helps, I reckon; gives it a real documentary feel.

But I do love the lighter stuff too, Shaft, Cleopatra Jones etc., and the soundtrax are invariably absolute dynamite. Speaking of which, I have this amazing, long Isaac Hayes track called Pimpmobile, but can't find what movie it's from. Anyone know?

37. mbmcfarland

mbmcfarland Sr Member

It's from Truck Turner

38. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

It was cute, but I was expecting something using real clips of Lando from the SW movies. Also, the video clearly says that it was made to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Empire. Wasn't sure if you hadn't noticed that or if you were joking.

39. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

I also think that Van Peebles was trying to something no one had ever done before. I don't know if anything like it was filmed before, but it's considered to be the first of the genre.
    The thing that made me uncomfortable was the first sex scene. I'm sure you know why. I think I watched about half of it, but I just couldn't get into the rest of it. I might give it another try some other time.
    Fun fact: Van Peebles got VD from one of the women in the movie. He got Workman's Comp and used it to buy more film to continue the production.

40. tcsmit29

tcsmit29 Well-Known Member

"The Devil's Son in Law" is my favorite.:thumbsup

41. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

Oh no, I knew it was a joke. My good friend plays Solo in the trailer. The whole premise of the joke was that Lucas stole the idea for Star Wars from this never released blaxploitation film featuring Lando from the early 70s. The only thing that survived was this trailer, as the film never made it to theaters. I thought they did a really good job with it. lol

The Wook

42. Stansfield

Stansfield Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I loved Black Belt Jones and Dolemite.

Some recent ones I like are Legend of ****** Charley and Trouble Man

43. Deathstalker II

Deathstalker II Well-Known Member

Yeah - Rudy Ray MOORE is the goods. Disco Godfather aka Avenging Disco Godfather is side-splittingly hilarious and awesome. Petey Wheatstraw and Human Tornado are great. I was trying to get Rudy Ray off his * a few years ago with a script for a Disco Godfather sequel, but no dice.

I adore - ADORE - Pam Grier. Had trouble keeping it together when I met her...

Good call on Black Belt Jones. There's a hilarious sequel called Hot Potato, if you liked that.

Also Black Caesar has a sequel called Hell up in Harlem.

Sweet Sweetback's is pretty disturbing, at the end of the day - that's some desperate, crazed filmmaking right there. Pretty insane that Melvin tossed a pre-teen Mario into his first sex on-camera!

Watermelon Man with Godfrey Cambridge is pretty excellent. And you guys need to see Addio Zio Tom and Fight for Your Life - two of the most bat**** insane blaxplo flicks ever made.

If no one minds, I'll share a couple links to some stuff I've written on Fight for Your Life and Disco Godfather:

SEWER SUBTERRANEA #5 – DISCO GODFATHER | CHUD.com

SEWER SUBTERRANEA #3 – FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE | CHUD.com

44. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

I've seen that one too. It wasn't as good as Black Caesar, but the parts with his dad were awesome.

I really hope that the next Black Dynamite movie finds a role for Fred Williamson. He's the man.

45. dbalschi

dbalschi Sr Member

46. Colin Droidmilk

Ha ha.. great stuff!

47. Colin Droidmilk

I need to see all these films.

You're spot on re Sweetback. It's disturbing, desperate and crazed, yes. Some great experimental effects going down too regarding editing and sound montage etc. The scene where a brutha is being tortured by having his eardrum blown out by discharging a gun next to his ear is a proto- Scorsese, proto-Tarantino moment.

48. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

Sho Nuff!

49. Master Dahark

Master Dahark Well-Known Member

Live and Let Die. It TOTALLY counts!

50. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Who .. is .. THE MASTER?