What's the best sealer/ coating method for foam? (Iron Man costume/ ODST costume)

i mostly use Royal Talons Amsterdam Series or Lascaux Studio original/bronze for painting. The water based resin i use calls: Eze-Kote. Its from the brand deluxe materials. I even don't know if something similar to this exist from another brand. i work with this stuff for so long. i used it for sealing and hardening styrofoam before.

I'm currently working on my nightwing suit, could I just spray paint it without plasti dip or anything else? Cause I don't have money for plasti dip.

Does anyone have a good technique to fill in the seams and stuff? I tried painter's caulk but it doesn't work. I'd really like some help with that because it's basically the only real problem I still have with foam building :(

how would you coat your armor if you used spackle or kwik seal besides plastidip? I am planning to coat with mod podge and spray with filler primer. Would that work?

how would you coat your armor if you used spackle or kwik seal besides plastidip? I am planning to coat with mod podge and spray with filler primer. Would that work?

Kwik Seal is paintable, so Modge Podge over it works well. Filler primer is fine for painting over the Modge Podge, too. But neither is super durable if there's going to be much flexing going on. Depending on the build, you can use this and be fine.

Ok so just got to autozone and bought a can of plastidip, rustoleum filler primer, sunburt gold, and dark cherry. So am I right to do mod podge, then plastidip, then filler primer, then the paint. Well it turns out plastidip is $7 and not $15. This is for foam Iron man helmet.

Yep, that order sounds right. For best flexibility, though, skip the Modge Podge and use the Plasti Dip directly on the foam. It'll take more layers of Dip to get it as smooth, but it's definitely more durable with it actually biting into the foam. Usually the Modge Podge is a cheaper way to coat the foam so less Dip is needed, plus it helps add a bit more stiffness to the foam, too. It doesn't add the strength of the method mentioned earlier in the thread, but still a little. Don't forget to test out methods on a scrap piece of foam to make sure you like it before covering your whole build in it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back