What was your first homemade prop?

mjolnir and thor helmet. The helmet aint that awesome. but i was happy with it. hope to make a better one soon. and a new hammer also.

73725_10150110978499535_516719534_7683587_7526357_n.jpg

Jim Carey version Riddler cane, which got pinched from my college final show. I suppose that's flattery of a sort.

There were so many things back then I don't even remember them all. I know the Lost in Space blasters were pretty early on. To say nothing of all the Power Rangers stuff I made.

One early prop that sticks out in my mind the most was a cardboard 1911 pistol that I was really proud of. I made it in a way that it could accept detachable magazines and the slide could be pulled back and the chamber exposed.

My first homemade prop was the Millennium Falcon built out of a tennis racket. Sadly, I have no pictures of it (because I was veeeeery young back then).

I made a batarang... I think I have a pic somewhere...

PC280013.jpg

I ended up giving it a second coat, which was black, but left the edges silver to give it a bladed appearance. lols.

Rocketeer helmet when I was twelvish. I made it out of a shoe box, some swimming goggles and gold paint. Man I loved that thing, I literally wore it until it fell apart.

WOW, mine was back when I was about 11 or 12

It was the keycard door lock from Jurassic Park.
Made from cardboard and stuck to my bedroom door, came with its own cardobard key as well.

Non-functioning of course.....and very inaccurate.

I built a full scale cardboard Apollo capsule and flew each of the missions live on the radio as they happened. I even slept in the capsule in my backyard. And I turned off the power during the Apollo 13 mission.
You
Are
A
God

I tried to convince my older brother, who LOVED the early NASA Space Programs, to do this with me, but he thought it was impossible.

Thank you for proving me right!

a paper mache Vader dome. actually my mom made it, but i helped, i helped, i made the glue and painted it!! of course, it looked more like Dark Helmet than Darth Vader, but oh god was i proud of that thing.

first proper prop(hurr) was a hardware Vader saber. i spent two days in my grandfather's workshop making it, no power tools.

firstprop.jpg

it's the one on the bottom, which i've since pimped with some proper grips. the one on top shows the kind it originally had: modern windshield wiper blades! used to have boxes, but they were just glued on and now i can't find them.

Last edited:
I built a full scale cardboard Apollo capsule and flew each of the missions live on the radio as they happened. I even slept in the capsule in my backyard. And I turned off the power during the Apollo 13 mission.

Ah the good old days... See? There are advantages to being your age! ;)

First thing I ever made was a set of Jaffa gauntlets from SG-1. The sculpt was good (I'll dig out some pics) but I sucked at casting and ended up with some mishapen castings and a wrecked mould.

Wow I was 15 years old (that was 34 years ago UGH) It was a TOS phaser
That's INCREDIBLE!!!!!

My first prop was a type-1 hand phaser from cardboard when I was 10. It looked pretty good- I used the photos from The Making Of Star Trek as a guide.:cool

multiple guns and swords out of paper towel rolls and cardboard. one in particular was the gun from jazz the jackrabbit game. dad always did wonder where all his masking tape went :p

Sadly lost to time and yesteryear was my replica of the hand blasters seen in the Roger Corman's 1978 film Deathsport. Not a complicated build, just a tin Folger's coffee can for the body, some heavy cardstock to make the rounded rectangular section and inserted a round mirror to stand in for the flash lens.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back