What to use?

rithal

Okay I have a question as to what casting material would be best for my purpose. I am currently sculpting a helmet it is a complete original design that I am making. First I will say I am most familiar with smooth-on products and am primarily trying to work with their materials since I have used them in the past with great success. That being said coming to the casting I am trying to figure out the best product to use. Now what I am looking for is something that is fairly rigid and durable at a thin wall thickness maybe 1/8" - 3/16" thick I don't want to go any thicker than that or else it will be occupying too much room inside the helmet and I have designed it to hold a fan cooling system inside etc. What I have been looking at were the smooth cast ONYX but I have recently ruled that out as it may be a bit brittle at that thickness. My new options are epoxamite with some fiberglass layering an epoxy laminating resin, task 4 which has good strength in thin walled applications and is a plastic urethane resin, and also smooth cast 65D which is a semi rigid tooling plastic resin for impact resistance. The last catch is I would like to be able to use an RTV as a mounting base the fans kind of a vibration absorber. Possibly using some silpoxy adhesive to help with adhesion. I don't want to mount them with hardware mainly because I don't want hardware showing through at that part of the helmet. I hope my explanations make sense to someone. I am just a big fan of not wasting money when I can learn from others. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back